Classic Trash discussion

The Friends of Eddie Coyle
This topic is about The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Friends of Eddie Coyle > Friends of Eddie Coyle: Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 995 comments Mod
Oops. I forgot to add a "finished" topic. Spoil away!

message 2: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl | 886 comments Even though Eddie was a criminal, I felt a bit bad for what happened to him at the end. I mean, he's killed for something he didn't even do. (Although he really was going to snitch on the bank robbers, he just didn't get to do it before they were caught.) It seemed liked everybody turned on Eddie - not only the criminals, but the police also used him for their own purposes. I guess if you're going to be in that type of life, you have to know that someone's going to turn on you sooner or later. No honor among thieves.

Cheryl | 886 comments In the film, I think Eddie was more of a sympathetic character. His relationship with his wife was alot better. He also asks to be put in the witness protection program if he'd give the cops more info, showing he wanted to get out of his life of crime (possibly). And Mitchum's acting skills helped alot in making Eddie more likable - he just looked so beaten down by life. It also showed Eddie really wrestling with the idea of informing on the other criminals, so when they turn on him it has more of an emotional impact on the audience.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 342 comments Do you recommend the movie? The book was pretty cool...

Sarah (sarahmott) | 342 comments Do you recommend the movie? The book was pretty cool...

Cheryl | 886 comments If you liked the book, you'll like the film. Alot of dialogue in the book is also in the film. word for word. The bank robberies are shown in more detail, too. The acting is very good, especially Robert Mitchum as Eddie.

message 7: by Adelaide (last edited Mar 13, 2016 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really enjoyed this book, although my sympathy for Eddie was pretty low. SNITCHES GET STITCHES people.

I really liked how this book was written mostly in dialogue. It really caught the flavor of how these people talked.

Cheryl | 886 comments Adelaide wrote: "I really liked how this book was written mostly in dialogue. It really caught the flavor of how these people talked."
Yes it did. They weren't the most "politically correct" and were also pretty foul-mouthed, but I have known people who talked just like that, so the dialogue was realistic.

Yeah, many of the characters were crazy racist and sexist, but within the confines of the story it made sense. It was hard to read, but I did not think it was gratuitous.