Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > In Cold Blood

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 837 comments Cross posted with 2016 Annual Challenges > PBT Non-Fiction 100

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
1 star
I did not like the book for many reasons. First off, It is a nonfiction story with a little fiction mixed in to give it flavor which was not needed. On November 15, 1959 in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas two men, Richard Hickock and Perry Smith murdered four members of the Clutter family. That alone should have been enough to draw you in but Capote felt the need to give so much detail on the little things the horror gets lost in them. Second, as much research was done, six years worth, it still lacks in my option to be a well rounded story which could be a good thing, it is already long winded.
I know this a classic and loved by many and did start the True Crime genre but I just could not get into it.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6879 comments It's too bad it turned out so badly for you; I'm not going to want to read this, then.

Also, trivia: I came across a book with a protagonist named Zippy and thought of you. I haven't read it yet, but bought it for a quarter from the Friends of the Library (it will work for an Alphabet Challenge with the Z).

message 3: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 837 comments Karin wrote: "It's too bad it turned out so badly for you; I'm not going to want to read this, then.

Also, trivia: I came across a book with a protagonist named Zippy and thought of you. I haven't read it yet, ..."

Sorry to turn you off of In Cold Blood.
How nice of you to think of me. :0)
Is the book, A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel? If yes, good book, you should like it.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments SWZ --- I also just read this. I gave it more stars for being innovative for the time and starting the narrative non-fiction genre. I agree with you assessment that there was just too much detail.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6879 comments SouthWestZippy wrote: "Karin wrote: "It's too bad it turned out so badly for you; I'm not going to want to read this, then.

Also, trivia: I came across a book with a protagonist named Zippy and thought of you. I haven't..."

Yes it is. Thanks for the heads off.

THANK you for turning me off of this book; I am not a big htriller fan so this type of review is helpful. The two books I put on hold from my two libraries (so happy for that) won't work even though I read a thriller series by this same author last year. One is a cozy mystery and the other NOT my type, it's a romance-thriller from Harlequinn. So I have another now; I'd started the audiobook, but bought it from the Friends of the Library along with A Girl Named Zippy. (I am trying very hard not to use that phrase with zippity in it).