Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > YA Urban Fantasy Cover Art - Critiques Requested

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. P. Dailing (jpdailing) | 7 comments Hello all!

My current work in progress is a novella series called Urban Legend. It is about a teenage girl who begins to manifest magical powers and attract attention from the government and the Vampirum.

Urban Legend

This will be my debut book and right now funds are kinda tight so I don't have the option to really spend a whole lot on the cover art. So this last week has been trying to draft something that'll be professional looking and this is the result. Please let me know what you think of it, and thank you for your time!

message 2: by Harald (last edited Mar 06, 2016 02:48PM) (new)

Harald | 51 comments Hi Jason!

First suggestion: always include a small thumbnail size of the cover draft. That’s how most people will see your cover. I’m zooming out to the max on my browser to look, and it’s still too big. Anyway…

Decent start but needs work. Quick thoughts:
— black bars top and bottom too big and the text in them too small.
— Main title font too fancy. Above all, it must be readable at thumbnail size. Go with something a little plainer (but still bold).
— You don’t need “By” on a book cover; everybody knows you're the author.
— Increase size of “A Novella Series” (and it’s good you’re using this on the cover of a novella series; sets expectations early).
— The main artwork is not very captivating. I know, it’s hard to find or create the right thing. Spend more time on the stock photo sites (including free ones) and look hard for something that fits your concept. Would be better if it filled the entire cover, but if not possible go with the black bars but try to reduce them in size and make the art fill the remainder.

Hope this helps!

Harald Johnson
Book Cover Reviews
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 3: by J. (new)

J. P. Dailing (jpdailing) | 7 comments Ooh yes, thank you Harald! There were some elements that were bugging me, but you identified a lot of them. I'll definitely be implementing your suggestions. I appreciate your time!

message 4: by Harald (new)

Harald | 51 comments No prob, Jason. Show your next version when ready.

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 35 comments I'm not a professional, but I'd prefer a cover image that takes up the entre cover. I don't like all that black space.

message 6: by J. (new)

J. P. Dailing (jpdailing) | 7 comments Agreed, Imma get that all fixed up.