2016 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Top 10 Best Fiction for Young Adults

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Mar 05, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Cindy | 15 comments Just finished Audacity by Melanie Crowder. This book in verse is beautifully written. With just a few words Crowder conveys images, thoughts, experiences and emotions. The story is based on the life of Clara Lemlich, an immigrant who fought for better working conditions for factory women in the early 1900s in NYC. Crowder uses a combination of fact and fiction to write about Clara's life. Crowder tries to imagine what Clara may have felt and thought and gave personalities to Clara's family members.

On the one hand this approach makes Clara more "real" to readers and highlights her courage and struggles, but on the other hand this account isn't really about the actual Clara Lemlich.

I'm torn about this approach. I think it's great if it gets more teens reading and interested in Clara (and maybe do more research on her) but I'm usually a stickler for facts.

Did anyone else read this? I'd love to hear your take on the book.

message 2: by Emily (last edited Mar 12, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Emily Childress-Campbell (ms_librarian_) | 5 comments How did everyone feel about Shadowshaper? I loved the world building and the sheer originality of the concept. I also loved the protagonist's internal monologue and all the commentary on race, family, and female power. I did think it dragged a bit in the middle though.

message 3: by Jmrunninglib (new)

Jmrunninglib | 7 comments I also read Shadowshaper and really enjoyed it. It might have drug a little in the middle, but skim that and keep going because the ending is well worth the read.
In addition to that I've read Six of Crow & Audacity. I didn't think that Six of Crows was quite as good as Bardugo's earlier series, but still worth the read. It takes place in the similar world to Shadow and Bone with Geshia, but they play a more supporting role in Six. It too was a little slow in the middle, but once the group made it to the Ice palace to commit the assigned "crime" it really takes off. If you like the earlier series, you'll like this one.
I agree that Audacity was well written and I enjoyed it. I liked the historical aspect of the book, but would also have like it to have been more true to the story, but I understand why. I think it will peak students' interest in the historical time period.