Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post apocalyptic/dystopian story written by Walter M. Miller Jr. in 1959. The setting is recognizable as what was the United States before a nuclear bomb destroyed civilization. The book opens with a novitiate who is in the desert and he is from the monks of the Albertian order of Leibowitz. The book spans many, many years but what stays consistent is this Order of Leibowitz that takes on the mission of saving documents and papers from previous era's and also to preserve life. This is the author's only book published in his lifetime and was written from some of his short stories. It is considered a classic of science fiction. The book does look at religion verses government in its role of protecting people and society. The author was in WWII where he participated in the bombing of a monastery. Later, the author converted to Catholicism. The structure of the story includes the recurrence or the cyclic nature of history. This book is similar to On the Beach but really much better. I also wondered how much this book may have influenced the writing of The Sparrow another great book that focuses on the Catholic church in science fiction. And finally because the the recurrence theme, I also thought of Cloud Atlas.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I posted this on your review to, but am reposting here...

Yay! I really enjoyed this book. Did you do any google research on it at all? I read some good arm-chair analyses of it which really upped my appreciation for it.

Your comment about The Sparrow is interesting....that is another book I own and want to get to...

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Nicole wrote: "I posted this on your review to, but am reposting here...

Yay! I really enjoyed this book. Did you do any google research on it at all? I read some good arm-chair analyses of it which really upped..."

I did just a little research but sounds like I should do more. I think you will like The Sparrow.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6882 comments I read this book in high school, I know I did, but all I have remembered is the title. But reading your review made it a bit more familiar. However, I've learned not to reread my high school scifi books.

That said, I know I liked it at the time.

Yes, I suggest you read The Sparrow, Nicole, and, as always, recommend reading the sequel, Children of God.

message 5: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I love dystopian novels, but have never heard of this one! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

message 6: by Kristal (new)

Kristal | 35 comments Not thought of myself as a SiFi fan but enjoyed this one. And yes, there are a lot of subtle undertones to this one and one could spend a good time researching it. Really need to read 'The Sparrow' as I just finished one of her books for last months tag and loved it!

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Regina, I really think you would like this one!

message 8: by Kimber (last edited Mar 07, 2016 09:13AM) (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments I've got less than a hundred pages to go in Canticle, and I really like what I've read so far.

message 9: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Well, I somehow missed this one in high school and early 20's when I was an avid reader of sci fi. I've heard of it for years but never seriously considered it. Looks like it's time to put it on the TBR.