Play Book Tag discussion

Winter Solstice
This topic is about Winter Solstice
Archive: Other Books > Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher -- 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher
3.5 stars (round down to 3)

This was a lovely, warm story of multiple generations of family and friends who come together in an unlikely fashion around Christmas.

Five people -- Elfrida, Oscar, Carrie, Sam, and Lucy -- all start the holiday season in different places, both geographically and life-stage. Various events (most of them negative on the face) cross all of their paths in a the estate house in a small Scottish village at Christmastime. They form fast friendships and, with the help of the local people, find their lives taking off in new and unexpected directions.

This was a feel good book. I have never read Pilcher before but I definitely knew what I was getting in to. It was entertaining, lighthearted, and the perfect way to spend my commutes this week.

I would have rounded my rating up to a four but it took a while to set up the background of all the characters and get them to the same place before the story really took off. Added to that, it was over 528 pages, which is several hundred pages longer than I prefer my fluffy holiday reads.

Overall, I recommend it if you want an entertaining Christmas story that leaves you with a good feeling about humanity and faith that everything always turns out in the end.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I liked this book, but I loved The Shell Seekers

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I have had The Shell Seekers in my TBR forever. I actually looked for that one at the library first but this audio was available immediately and one of my IRL friends had recommended it...

I will probably eventually get to The Shell Seekers.