Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

The Cogsmith's Daughter (Desertera #1)
This topic is about The Cogsmith's Daughter
2016 Archives > Steampunk without steam, scifi/fantasy - The Cogsmith's Daughter by Kate M. Colby

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (last edited Apr 07, 2016 11:21AM) (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Hello, there!

Thanks for stopping by my booth. I'm Kate M. Colby, the author of the steampunk series, Desertera.

The Cogsmith’s Daughter (Desertera #1) is my debut novel and the first in the Desertera series. Here is the official description, interspersed with my "author’s notes:"

description

In a desert wasteland, one king rules with absolute power and unquenchable lust, until the cogsmith’s daughter risks everything for vengeance.

Steampunk without steam.

Two-hundred years ago, the steam-powered world experienced an apocalyptic flood. When the waters dried up, the survivors settled around their moored steamship in a wasteland they named Desertera. Believing the flood and drought were caused by a scorned goddess, the monarchs demanded execution for anyone who commits the unforgivable sin—adultery.

The Tudors in a Mad Max-inspired world.

Today, King Archon entraps his wives in the crime of adultery, executing each boring bride to pursue his next infatuation. Most nobles overlook King Archon’s behavior, but when Lord Varick’s daughter falls victim to the king’s schemes, he vows revenge.

A coming-of-age, revenge tale.

When Aya Cogsmith was a young girl, King Archon had her father executed for treason. Orphaned and forced to turn to prostitution for survival, Aya dreams of avenging her father’s death. When Lord Varick approaches Aya with plans for vengeance, she agrees to play the king’s seductress—even though it puts her at risk for execution.

Packed with high-society intrigue, dappled with seduction, and driven by revenge, The Cogsmith’s Daughter is a steampunk fantasy novel with the perfect mixture of conspiracy and romance.

Categories: #Steampunk #ScienceFiction #Nonfiction

To find other books you'll love, see the full booth map here.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Apr 09, 2016 09:19AM) (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments GIVEAWAYS & DISCOUNTS

Want to win a copy of The Cogsmith’s Daughter (Desertera #1)? Here are the ways to do it this weekend:

Enter the B2BCC Science Fiction giveaway: HERE

Hang out with me on Saturday, April 9 at 9 a.m. Eastern, while I host the B2BCC Facebook Takeover HERE.

Enter the #ReadSelfPublished Month Rafflecopter giveaway HERE.

Don’t like leaving things up to chance? Me either. The Cogsmith’s Daughter (Desertera #1) is on SALE from April 8 to April 10 for $0.99! Get your copy here:

Amazon US | Amazon UK | Barnes & Noble | iBooks | Kobo | Smashwords

Signed copies are available on my website at: http://www.katemcolby.com/books

For you writers in the group, I also write nonfiction. Each day of B2BCC, one of my prompts booklets will be FREE!

April 8: 100 Children's, Teen, and Young Adult Writing Prompts (Fiction Ideas Vol. 3) - Grab your copy on Amazon.

April 9: 100 Romance Writing Prompts (Fiction Ideas Vol. 2) - Grab your copy on Amazon.

April 10: 100 Fantasy Writing Prompts (Fiction Ideas Vol. 4) - Grab your copy on Amazon.

message 3: by Kate (last edited Apr 07, 2016 04:58PM) (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments BRAIN TO BOOKS CYBER CONVENTION APPEARANCES

Booth Schedule
Come back and chat right here!

Friday, April 8 - 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. (EST)
Saturday, April 9 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m (EST)
Sunday, April 10 - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (EST)

B2BCC Facebook Takeover
I'll be hosting the B2BCC Facebook page on Saturday, April 9 at 9 a.m. (EST). Stop by to chat all things steampunk and enter to win a copy of The Cogsmith's Daughter (Desertera #1) !

Cover Wars
Vote for The Cogsmith's Daughter (Desertera #1) in Cover Wars HERE!

Science Fiction Blog Tour
Learn more about my inspiration behind The Cogsmith's Daughter (Desertera #1) , my writing process, and other great sci-fi books by taking the tour, starting HERE.

An interview with Charlie!
Charlie is the mechanical frog on the cover (and Aya's childhood "pet"). He's being interviewed about his froggy life and writing style HERE.

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments ABOUT KATE M. COLBY

You can read my official author biography on my Goodreads page at Kate M. Colby. But for now, here are some fun facts:

1. By day, I’m a copywriter at a wine marketing company (essentially - I drink and write about wine all day!).

2. My current science fiction obsessions are Wool by Hugh Howey and everything Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

3. I've traveled to three continents and nine countries. One of my biggest life goals is to make it to all seven continents!

4. I have two tattoos. One is based on the TV show Supernatural (my dad has a matching one!). The other is a coded inscription of my favorite song lyric.

5. I met my husband, Daniel, at MorrisonCon, a once-in-a-lifetime comic convention in honor of Grant Morrison.

Anything else you want to know? Just ask!

Jonas Lee (JL_Fiction) Stopping by to show some Indie love!

Do you think you'll stay in the Steampunk genre for good or are there others you plan to write for?

message 6: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Jonas wrote: "Stopping by to show some Indie love!

Do you think you'll stay in the Steampunk genre for good or are there others you plan to write for?"

Awh, thanks, Jonas! Great question.

While I'll be hanging out in steampunk for the Desertera series, I definitely see myself expanding into other subgenres of science fiction and fantasy in the future.

Specifically, I have an idea for a supernatural (demons!) trilogy, a post-apocalyptic young adult series, and an urban fantasy stand alone. So lots of fun, creative times ahead!

I also write nonfiction for authors and creatives, which I'll share more on as this weekend progresses!

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Hi Kate, great booth!

Loved The Cogsmith’s Daughter, keen for Book 2 when it's ready :)

Zachary Chopchinski (ZachChop) | 21 comments Hey Kate, just dropped by to check out your booth and say good luck at the convention!! :)

message 9: by A. (new) - added it

A. Aaroones) (AMNestler) | 110 comments Hi Kate! I am also a fantasy/scifi author as well as a book reviewer. Your novel looks amazing and I have just purchased it! I will review it and put the review up on my blog as well as here on Goodreads and Amazon.
Blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...

message 10: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments Hello Kate just writing to say your book looks good

message 11: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Kate, great booth!

Loved The Cogsmith’s Daughter, keen for Book 2 when it's ready :)"

Thank you, Ashley! I'm hoping book two will be out at the end of June. :-)

message 12: by Noah (new) - added it

Noah Nichols (NANMANME) Hey Kate, your book seems very interesting. I'll just buy it. That quarter and dime royalty should make you feel good about yourself momentarily. I know us writers need any shred of a genuine gesture we can get these days.

message 13: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Zachary wrote: "Hey Kate, just dropped by to check out your booth and say good luck at the convention!! :)"

Thanks, Zach! Best of luck to you as well (not that you need it!).

message 14: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Kate! I am also a fantasy/scifi author as well as a book reviewer. Your novel looks amazing and I have just purchased it! I will review it and put the review up on my blog as well as here on Goo..."

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your support. I'll have to check out your work, as well. :-)

message 15: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Belinda wrote: "Hello Kate just writing to say your book looks good"

That's very kind, Belinda. Thank you!

message 16: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Noah wrote: "Hey Kate, your book seems very interesting. I'll just buy it. That quarter and dime royalty should make you feel good about yourself momentarily. I know us writers need any shred of a genuine gestu..."

Thanks, Noah! And yes, it's a tough business for writers, but it's also an exciting time full of opportunities that previous generations never received. Gotta stay positive. Thanks for connecting!

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Kate wrote: "Thank you, Ashley! I'm hoping book two will be out at the end of June. :-)"

Ace, I can handle June - will begin a count down! Quick question, does Book 2 explore the wider world of Desertera a bit? Definitely keen to see what else is out there!

message 18: by Chess (new)

Chess Desalls (ChessDesalls) | 103 comments Wow! Loving the book cover. Great booth. :o)

message 19: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Ashley wrote: "Kate wrote: "Thank you, Ashley! I'm hoping book two will be out at the end of June. :-)"

Ace, I can handle June - will begin a count down! Quick question, does Book 2 explore the wider world of De..."

In a way, yes. You'll get to see a different side of the Rudder and a few more glimpses into Bowtown and Starboardshire, as well. Mostly, you'll get to know some of Aya's friends even better.

message 20: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Chess wrote: "Wow! Loving the book cover. Great booth. :o)"

Thank you very much! I appreciate you stopping by!

message 21: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments The Cogsmith's Daughter made it through the first round of Cover Wars! Thank you to all who voted!

You can help me make it through round two by voting here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nMPz...

message 22: by Noah (new) - added it

Noah Nichols (NANMANME) Congrats! I voted for your cover in that round. It's quality!

message 23: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Thanks, Noah! I appreciate it. :-)

Zachary Chopchinski (ZachChop) | 21 comments Hey Kate, I was happy to see that we both made it into the second round of cover wars! *Virtual high five!*

message 25: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Heck, yeah, Zach! Let's see if we can do it again!

Zachary Chopchinski (ZachChop) | 21 comments Kate wrote: "Heck, yeah, Zach! Let's see if we can do it again!"
I hope so! There is so much less time for voting and for some reason I am going up against two covers this time...both look really good!

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Another vote for the Cogsmith's Daughter :)

(and ace, keen to learn more about the other side of the Rudder!)

message 28: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (BelindaCrawford) Hi Kate. I voted for your cover in Cover Wars as well! I just hope that our covers don't have to go head-to-head in the next round.

Love your idea for a demon trilogy. Inspired by Supernatural?

message 29: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Ashley wrote: "Another vote for the Cogsmith's Daughter :)

(and ace, keen to learn more about the other side of the Rudder!)"

Thanks, Ashley!

message 30: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Belinda wrote: "Hi Kate. I voted for your cover in Cover Wars as well! I just hope that our covers don't have to go head-to-head in the next round.

Love your idea for a demon trilogy. Inspired by Supernatural?"

Thanks, Belinda! I voted for yours as well. :-)

And yes, my demon trilogy idea is somewhat inspired by Supernatural. I've been sitting on it for about a decade now, and I'm waiting to write it when I know I have a properly original concept and can do it justice.

message 31: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments The Cogsmith's Daughter made it through to the next round of Cover Wars! Thank you to everyone who has voted so far!

As the competition gets fiercer, your votes count more than ever. Let's take that handsome golden frog all the way!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VljN...

message 32: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments FREE BOOKLET REMINDER!

If you've wanted to write a love story but don't know where to start, here are 100 ideas to take you from meeting to first kiss to happily-ever-after.

100 Romance Writing Prompts (Fiction Ideas Vol. 2) - Grab your copy on Amazon.

message 33: by Lara (new)

Lara McGehee (LCMcGehee) | 11 comments Hi Kate!

I also love your cover -- there are some other nice ones here, but it's definitely my favorite, so I'm hoping it wins Cover Wars!

And I love Charlie the frog, too . . . Isn't it funny how little things like that can really pique one's interest in a story? :)

message 34: by N.A. (new)

N.A. Cauldron | 11 comments I voted!

message 35: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Lara, thank you! That's so sweet of you to say. And, yes it is! I know I'm a sucker for animals, so little things like that always attract my interest for sure.

message 36: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments N.A. - Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

message 37: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Brink | 8 comments The Cogsmith's Daughter has caught my interest. I'm adding it to my list. :)

message 38: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments David - Thank you so much! I'm a fan of frogs myself, obviously!

message 39: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments J.D. - Glad to hear it! Thanks for the add!

message 40: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments There's only two battles until the finals! Please help The Cogsmith's Daughter go all the way and vote!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1x-nT...

It's easy this time - all in one match. I'm in the third pair!

message 41: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Kate wrote: "There's only two battles until the finals! Please help The Cogsmith's Daughter go all the way and vote!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1x-nT......"

Voted!

message 42: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Thank you, Kaela!

message 43: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Kate wrote: "Thank you, Kaela!"

No problem. I love steampunk and I love frogs. So naturally I had to vote for such a beauty. :)

message 44: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Kaela wrote: "Kate wrote: "Thank you, Kaela!"

No problem. I love steampunk and I love frogs. So naturally I had to vote for such a beauty. :)"

Well, thank you! Check your Facebook messages, by the way. You're one of my takeover winners!

message 45: by V.S. (new) - added it

V.S. Holmes (vs-holmes) | 36 comments These sound fantastic! Bonus points for frogs and Mad Max. Adding to the ever-expanding TBR pile....

If you got a spare minute, feel free to stop by my booth!

message 46: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Thank you so much! I'm glad Charlie (the frog) is getting some love this weekend. I'll definitely stop by your booth!

message 47: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "There's only two battles until the finals! Please help The Cogsmith's Daughter go all the way and vote!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1x-nT......"

I voted for your cover. I'm just glad we're not going head to head (yet).

message 48: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate M. Colby (KateMColby) | 36 comments Thank you! Yes, the competition is getting very tough. All the covers are great. It'll be cool to see how far we make it!

message 49: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Thank you! Yes, the competition is getting very tough. All the covers are great. It'll be cool to see how far we make it!"

I didn't think I'd make it this far.

message 50: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Kate wrote: "Kaela wrote: "Kate wrote: "Thank you, Kaela!"

No problem. I love steampunk and I love frogs. So naturally I had to vote for such a beauty. :)"

Well, thank you! Check your Facebook messages, by th..."

Awesome! Thank you! *happy dance*

« previous 1