500 Great Books By Women discussion

Other Lists of Interest > Staff picks: Feminist books for International Women’s Day - Verso & New Left Review

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments In celebration of International Women’s Day on 8th March, the women workers of Verso and New Left Review share some of our favourite feminist books in tribute to the radical roots of the observance.

Source: http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/2527-...

Listopia: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

Original 500 GBBW on the list:
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
The Lover by Marguerite Duras
Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde (500 GBBW Group Generated: The Black Unicorn)
This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color, edited by Cherríe L. Moraga & Gloria Anzaldúa (500 GBBW Original: Loving in the War Years)
A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid

Original 500 GBBW authors on the list:
Jean Rhys (List: Voyage in the Dark; 500 GBBW Original: After Leaving Mr. McKenzie)
Ursula K. Le Guin (List: The Tombs of Atuan; 500 GBBW Original: Dancing on the Edge of the World: Thoughts on Words, Women, Places; 500 GBBW Group Generated: The Dispossesed)
Nawal El-Saadawi (List: Woman at Point Zero; 500 GBBW Original: Two Women in One)
Christina Stead (List: The Man Who Loved Children; 500 GBBW Original: The Little Hotel)
Angela Y. Davis (List: Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement; 500 GBBW Original: Women, Culture, & Politics)

500 GBBW Group Generated Works on the list:
The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride
The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur

500 GBBW Generated Authors:
Virginie Despentes (List: King Kong Theory; 500 GBBW Group Generated: Baise-Moi)

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 250 comments I've only read a few of these. What a great resource! Thanks so much for posting this.

Dioni (Bookie Mee) (dioni) | 21 comments Lovely. I literally just started reading The Lover by Marguerite Duras this morning.

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Kathleen wrote: "I've only read a few of these. What a great resource! Thanks so much for posting this."

My pleasure, Kathleen. I like keeping track of places where the 500 GBBW have shown up in contemporary times.

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Dioni (Bookie Mee) wrote: "Lovely. I literally just started reading The Lover by Marguerite Duras this morning."

That's excellent to hear, Dioni. I hope you enjoy it.