Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Overdrive

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 05, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments Is Overdrive an acceptable site for covers and other details? It is the driver for digital editions for libraries, so a case can be made, but perhaps it is an outlier and so not acceptable.

This is the specific edition at Overdrive that prompted the question.

http://qroc.lib.overdrive.com/3D9A901...

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments Probably not. The terms & conditions for the site say not to collect data from them.

http://company.overdrive.com/terms-co...
Rule #4.

I asked about another library affiliated digital service a few months ago and was told it couldn't be used.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments bump

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments If that's what the terms & conditions say, it cannot be used as a source.

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 08, 2016 10:16AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments I'll wait for Rivka. I read the terms and conditions and they refer to content of the digital media, not necessarily covers. And it may be that we can't use it, I'd just like to wait for an official decision.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43517 comments Mod
Melanti wrote: "The terms & conditions for the site say not to collect data from them."

That's a definite no, then.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments rivka wrote: "Melanti wrote: "The terms & conditions for the site say not to collect data from them."

That's a definite no, then."

Thanks, Rivka. I didn't read the terms and conditions that way and thus the question.

message 8: by L J (new)

L J | 18 comments I've read the OverDrive Terms & Conditions but this is from OverDrive End User License Agreement
5.Third Parties
5.1 While using the OverDrive Services, Software, and/or Content, you may enjoy opportunities to post reviews, rate Content, and share Content information with others in public forums and on social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads. When you share such information, it is made public and is not subject to this Privacy Policy. We are not responsible for any third party's use of information you publicly display or disclose through our Services.
This seems to mean the Terms & Conditions restrictions mentioned are not meant to apply to reviews, discussions, etc.
Many of the books I read and listen to are on OverDrive and the OverDrive edition is not listed on Goodreads. My understanding is these can't be added if going with the strict "no collection of data" rule so I am not adding any.
It seems editions could be added if one goes with the End User License Agreement.
Any chance of a change in Goodreads policy so the OverDrive editions can be added?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6773 comments L J wrote: "Many of the books I read and listen to are on OverDrive and the OverDrive edition is not listed on Goodreads. ."

I only read Kindle editions, so my comment might not apply if you are reading other formats. Overdrive acquires a license to lend editions of books. They don't have a different edition.

message 10: by L J (new)

L J | 18 comments Content on OverDrive is same kindle = kindle, mp3 = mp3, etc. but ISBN, the number that identifies the specific edition of a book is often not found in Goodreads list of editions of the book. If you try to find a book you are starting by ISBN, which I prefer to do, it is frustrating when it is not there.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1763 comments Overdrive ebooks would be listed as ebooks with the ISBN regardless of the device you read it on. If you can't find the ISBN on GR, you can try looking on the publisher's website and we can add the book with info from there.

I'm doubting the policy will be changed.

message 12: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments L J wrote: "It seems editions could be added if one goes with the End User License Agreement.
Any chance of a change in Goodreads policy so the OverDrive editions can be added?..."

I think what that agreement is stating is that if you use their app to post reviews through whatever third party services, that Overdrive isn't responsible for what happens to those reviews once you give them to the third party.

It's basically saying that they can't control what third parties do with the data you give them, but they aren't giving third parties permission to take Overdrive data.

That's the way I read it, anyway.

If you can find that ISBN on the publisher's website and get the ebook data from the publisher, you could add it that way. You just can't use Overdrive as a source of the data.

Overdrive would have to change their policy for us to use data from their site.

I checked and their service agreement seems to be unchanged:
You shall not ... collect and/or use any product listings, descriptions, or prices, or partake in any derivative use of the Services, or the contents thereof, for independent use;

message 13: by L J (new)

L J | 18 comments Can WorldCat be used as source instead of publisher? I've found the matching ISBNs for the OverDrive editions there. WorldCat seems to identify them as downloadable editions without mentioning OverDrive. Sometimes there is no "cover art" for the specific ISBN but that is also the case on publisher websites.

message 14: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments If the publisher doesn't list the appropriate ISBN, try getting the data from your local library service (or any other library catalogue). Book in hand also works, so if the book on you device has data, that should be an acceptable source.

message 15: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments L J wrote: "Can WorldCat be used as source instead of publisher? I've found the matching ISBNs for the OverDrive editions there. WorldCat seems to identify them as downloadable editions without mentioning Over..."

There's nothing special about Overdrive ISBNs - they're just generic ebook editions.

WorldCat is on the list of acceptable data sources, so yes, you can use data from them.

message 16: by Krazykiwi (last edited Apr 16, 2017 09:55AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Melanti wrote: "L J wrote: "Can WorldCat be used as source instead of publisher? I've found the matching ISBNs for the OverDrive editions there. WorldCat seems to identify them as downloadable editions without men..."

Actually, some publishers do use a different ISBN for "Library editions", even though they're identical, they do it for their own tracking purposes. It's especially common with audiobooks and non-fiction academic books.

Tal:
Re your point on library edition ISBN's often being hard to find the covers for, there's an easy way around that: Since GR allows you to go get the physical book out of the library, scan or photograph the cover, and use that, there is pretty much nothing stopping you scanning (i.e. screenshotting) the cover out of the copy you have borrowed, and providing that. (Remember, the copyright at issue is the copyright of the picture of the cover not the picture on the cover - if you created the image, the work is yours and it's your permission that's needed to upload it.)