What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Small town horror book, part of a Lovecraft tribute series, with a tentacled monster (NOT Cthulhu) that lives in walls

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seelenstaub (last edited May 27, 2016 09:48AM) (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments The plot: The people of a small town worship some sort of tentacled being (not Cthulhu!) that lives in the walls and sucks the spinal fluid (or something) of its worshippers. The protagonist visits his daughter and ex wife who live in this town. He notices that something isn't right, uncovers the secret and tries to save his daughter. In the end it seems like he manages to kill the monster, but afterwards he is captured by the members of the sect and the monster isn't dead at all.

Other things I remember: The protagonist is a detective or policeman of some sort who has accidentally (or not) killed a suspect, so he gets fired or suspended. He is also afraid of fire due to some accident that happened in his childhood (I think his mother burned to death).
In the town there was also a church that was of some importance - I think the monster lived under it.

I'm happy about every suggestion!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
When did you read it? Paper book, ebook, other format? Cover art? Author male or female? Set in the U.S.?

message 3: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 188 comments Hello,

I have read the original (Lovecraft's) Cthulhus, but not the tributes. Here are a few to try:

Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft
The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute To H.P. Lovecraft

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad Eaton (binkeybat) | 10 comments Check out this Lovecraftian list as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 5: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "When did you read it? Paper book, ebook, other format? Cover art? Author male or female? Set in the U.S.?"

I read it maybe eight years ago. It was hardcover and had a pretty dark cover, but I have no idea what was on it. I don't remember the other things .

message 6: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments Laina wrote: "Hello,

I have read the original (Lovecraft's) Cthulhus, but not the tributes. Here are a few to try:

Cthulhu Lives! An Eldritch Tribute to H. P. Lovecraft
[book:The Starry Wisdom..."

Thanks, but I don't think it's either of them, because it was a book and part of a series and not a story in an anthology.

message 7: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments Binkeybat wrote: "Check out this Lovecraftian list as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3..."

Thank you! I will check it out.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Please let us know if that was your book!

message 9: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments I haven't found it in any of those lists.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Seelenstaub, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments No, didn't find it yet.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Seelenstaub ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 213 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1476 comments Still looking for this?

message 14: by Seelenstaub (new)

Seelenstaub | 15 comments Oh yeah.