Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > I'm looking for honest opinions on the cover of my book

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Godeena by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets
I would like to write me your hones comments on the cover of my book. I drew the cover and I now is looks a little raw. All book covers are polished and beautiful, but I wanted something a little different. A boy who is in the picture, is not human. The story of my book is located on the planet without a single living being, but a complete infastructura is preserved. All those who go down to the surface soon disappear. The book is an action science fiction novel with elements of the military and horror.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Stjepan wrote: "Godeena by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets
I would like to write me your hones comments on the cover of my book. I drew the cover and I now is looks a little raw. "

I have to agree. If you have someone available to you who can polish it up with Vector or a similar method, it would probably be a good idea. Original art for covers is great, but it needs to look professional. I don't think this one does, I'm sorry to say.

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 9 comments Stjepan wrote: "Godeena by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets
I would like to write me your hones comments on the cover of my book. I drew the cover and I now is looks a little raw. All book covers are polished and beautiful, but ..."

Agree with previous poster. The concept is good, but the drawing needs a professional touch.

message 4: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 80 comments Yes, nice concept, just lacking that professional polish. Rightly or wrongly, people do judge a book by its cover. I think you have to be able to take a step back and ask the question: "If that were not my book, would I be drawn to it?"

message 5: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Sharon wrote: "Stjepan wrote: "Godeena by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets
I would like to write me your hones comments on the cover of my book. I drew the cover and I now is looks a little raw. "

I have to agree. If you have ..."

Thank you for your honesty. Unfortunately I do not know of a professional who could do, and I can not afford it financially.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Perhaps there's something else you could put on the cover that is symbolic of the story....an object, a building, etc. Faces are hard unless you're a gifted artist & people tend to have strong reactions to them.

message 7: by Stjepan (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:53AM) (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments David wrote: "Yes, nice concept, just lacking that professional polish. Rightly or wrongly, people do judge a book by its cover. I think you have to be able to take a step back and ask the question: "If that wer..."

I know that many readers first view the covers of books, but I hope that they will look at the synopsis of the book.

message 8: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 276 comments move the title to the bottom. I think it's okay. I'd pick it up thinking what's this? because it's different. super polished photo shopped covers make every book look the same these days. your cover has an old school charm to it.

message 9: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 80 comments Perhaps have a look on this site: http://www.deviantart.com/

Plenty of artists there that are willing to sell original art for reasonable prices. Obviously you won't have the exact concept, but as Sandy suggests, you may find something that will suffice.

message 10: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Sandy wrote: "Perhaps there's something else you could put on the cover that is symbolic of the story....an object, a building, etc. Faces are hard unless you're a gifted artist & people tend to have strong reac..."

Thanks for the tip, I will try to draw something

message 11: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments K.P. wrote: "move the title to the bottom. I think it's okay. I'd pick it up thinking what's this? because it's different. super polished photo shopped covers make every book look the same these days. your cove..."

I'll try title. Thanks K.P.

message 12: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 276 comments I showed your cover to another artist I know and they asked how old the book was. they too thought it was old (70s early 80s). after i said it was a recent sp work they said to lighten your font and either move title up or the picture up and the title /author name at the bottom. you have too much negative space. but they also thought nothing wrong with it. it's science fiction right? then you can't do worse than Christian book covers (their quote).

message 13: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments David wrote: "Perhaps have a look on this site: http://www.deviantart.com/

Plenty of artists there that are willing to sell original art for reasonable prices. Obviously you won't have the exact concept, but as..."

Thank you for your honesty and tips David, but now I can not afford it.

message 14: by Stjepan (last edited Mar 05, 2016 09:14AM) (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments K.P. wrote: "I showed your cover to another artist I know and they asked how old the book was. they too thought it was old (70s early 80s). after i said it was a recent sp work they said to lighten your font an..."

OK. Thanks for help. Yes this is SF :)

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments David wrote: "Perhaps have a look on this site: http://www.deviantart.com/

Plenty of artists there that are willing to sell original art for reasonable prices. Obviously you won't have the exact concept, but as..."

I agree with David. Deviantart is a great place to find a cover artist.

message 16: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (mekkeon) | 2 comments i am afraid i have to agree with most here.it is a little rough and deviant art is a very good place to check.cover art is one thing that will make me pick up a new book a check it out more.i am sorry but,this i would pass on by.wish you much luck with it.sounds like something i would read.

message 17: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 141 comments I don't have my pen tablet with me, so I couldn't do much other than a quick touch up on Photoshop.

image host

message 18: by Stjepan (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments V.W. wrote: "I don't have my pen tablet with me, so I couldn't do much other than a quick touch up on Photoshop.

"

I think I have a little deal with my cover. Good job V.W. with little resources. :)

message 19: by Christopher (last edited Mar 07, 2016 07:37AM) (new)

Christopher Taylor (christophertaylor) | 76 comments I think it works. You might want to add more white to the author name to make it more readable in thumbnail, but that's not critical. It works well, gives a feel for genre (sci fi), pops off the shelf/screen well, has a clear design concept, and is distinct and interesting. It succeeds in all of its jobs as a cover.

I agree that the main title could use a more interesting Font if you can find one but it works as is. The font used doesn't give a feel for genre and I agree that could be better.

Unless there is significance to the placement of the starship, I'd consider swapping it to the other side. Almost all of your buying target reads left to right, so something that draws your eye from left to right down the image leads to the author name. The starship on the other side will tend to do that. That's a very minor point, though.

message 20: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Christopher wrote: "I think it works. You might want to add more white to the author name to make it more readable in thumbnail, but that's not critical. It works well, gives a feel for genre (sci fi), pops off the sh..."

This is a very good idea that I overlooked. Font was ordained by the publisher so that I could choose a lot, since I'm new to this I will have a little work on some details.

message 21: by Gina (new)

Gina (girlafraid1991) | 8 comments I have to agree with what a lot of others are saying. I can tell you put a lot of effort into drawing the cover image, but to me it does not give it a polished look. Personally, my main issue is with the font used for the title, although I do like the font choice and color for the author name. I am not sure if it would help but maybe using a different font for the title would make the cover image work better.

I wish I could give more advice because I think how an author designs their book cover is very important. There are so many books being released these days that many people do not have time to read through every synopsis and will only pick up a book and look at it's synopsis if the cover catches their attention. I know this isn't really fair and I can see how it would be frustrating but (for me at least) unless a book is recommended to me I will use the cover to decide if I pick it up or not.

message 22: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Gina wrote: "I have to agree with what a lot of others are saying. I can tell you put a lot of effort into drawing the cover image, but to me it does not give it a polished look. Personally, my main issue is wi..."

Thanks for the advice.

message 23: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 276 comments I didnt realise the cover was hand drawn until I got on my high resolution monitor (my phone sucks lolz). all is not lost! I can handle the challenge.... at least it's in a color I can see lolz
^_^|| i got you, bruh.

message 24: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments K.P. wrote: "I didnt realise the cover was hand drawn until I got on my high resolution monitor (my phone sucks lolz). all is not lost! I can handle the challenge.... at least it's in a color I can see lolz
^_..."

I believe in you, the truth is drawn by hand. I do a little drawing, but I'm always short of time and can not draw as much as I'd like.

message 25: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 61 comments Kudos to your efforts and your talents, Stjepan. I agree with majority, spend the money on designer. I understand you said you don't have it, but trust me.... if there is a will, there is a way.

There are a lot of amazing web designers out there, many threads on GR from authors referring designers. They cost anywhere from 50-300 dollars. My friend is driving Uber making money for editor and designer. :-))

Good luck. Remember we're not suppose to judge the book by it's cover, but we still do....

message 26: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Mimi wrote: "Kudos to your efforts and your talents, Stjepan. I agree with majority, spend the money on designer. I understand you said you don't have it, but trust me.... if there is a will, there is a way.

T..."

Thanks, But you would not believe how small is salary in Croatia.

message 27: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 61 comments Stjepan wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Kudos to your efforts and your talents, Stjepan. I agree with majority, spend the money on designer. I understand you said you don't have it, but trust me.... if there is a will, there..."

I'm from Slovakia and spent every summer in Croatia for two decades. :-)) Trust me, if there is a will, there is a way. :-))

Look for the threads on GR, if you can't find them, let me know.

message 28: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 53 comments Mimi wrote: "Stjepan wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Kudos to your efforts and your talents, Stjepan. I agree with majority, spend the money on designer. I understand you said you don't have it, but trust me.... if there ..."

Thanks Mimi :)