The Court of Books and Readers discussion

Alice in Wonderland
This topic is about Alice in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland > Chapter 9-12 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley Mae (new)

Ashley Mae (thenshereads) Hey everyone!
This is where you can discuss Chapters 5-8 of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Feel free to ask some questions yourself, and we add on as a read along with you!

But since this discussion is for the end of the book, how did you like it?
Enjoy!

Phoebe Terry (pebbl102) | 5 comments I found this book quite difficult to get through, events jumped around a lot and I got confused, especially because I skim-read quite a lot (which I should probably stop!) I felt like it didn't really have a storyline and none of the characters were particularly developed. Is that too harsh? It made me laugh sometimes seeing as some of the dialogue included just absolute nonsense, but on the whole I don't think it was a very worthwhile experience.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (berry_bookish) | 2 comments I'm almost done and it's been...interesting, to say the least. I'm listening to the Scarlet Johansson audio on audible while following along in my book - the Puffin in Bloom edition by Anna Rifle Bond. It's very bizarre, in my opinion. I wouldn't call it my cup of tea. But I'm not sorry I'm reading it. I had considered reading Through the Looking Glass and then watching Disney's Alice in Wonderland and maybe the one with Johnny Depp...but I think I'll just skip ahead to the movies once I'm done listening to the book :)

message 4: by Leelynn (new) - added it

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) Phoebe, I was like you. I honestly had the hardest time getting through this book. I was hoping I would only spend a couple of hours on it at the most but I kept putting it down and putting it off for something more fun to do. i don't know if anyone has ever heard of Ouran High School Host Club, but there is an episode in that show where it's about Alice in Wonderland and that episode actually included the Dutchess and the Baby, which I didn't realize was a part of the actual story until I read this book. I always wondered where they got that part from, or if they just put it in that show because of the main character and how it related to her, but now that episode makes much more sense to me.

Phoebe Terry (pebbl102) | 5 comments I love that anime! Don't remember that episode though hahah I watched it a while ago, yeah when I saw it was supposed to be only about 80 pages I thought I'd finish it really quickly but I think those 80 pages were large with tiny writing, I was deceived on ebook!

Phoebe Terry (pebbl102) | 5 comments I love that anime! Don't remember that episode though hahah I watched it a while ago, yeah when I saw it was supposed to be only about 80 pages I thought I'd finish it really quickly but I think those 80 pages were large with tiny writing, I was deceived on ebook!

message 8: by Leelynn (new) - added it

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) I think that episode was towards the end of the season, I don't remember which one exactly. It was basically like a flashback to when Haruhi first came to Ouran, like before the school year started. She was having an Alice in Wonderland dream and I guess the club was also doing an Alice in Wonderland theme for that day/week whatever.

Cameo Tarver (goodreadscomcameotarver) | 3 comments I felt like this book was definitely catered towards children when I read it since the characters never really developed into much of anything.

message 10: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (goodwin191) | 2 comments I never read this book as a child. I had seen some of the film adaptations, but there were obviously, some things that were in the book that weren’t in the movies. One of the main things going through my head while reading this book was he must have been on some crazy drugs! In the first few pages of the book I kept thinking “Alice wasn’t too smart.” Let’s just go following a random rabbit down a dark hole that you don’t know how deep it is. That doesn’t seem like a very good idea to me. And she seems to have very nonsensical thoughts. She says something along the lines of if she were to fall off the roof of her house it would not bother her in comparison to her current fall. Then she’s thinking of her cat eating bats. All of the shrinking and growing was weird and the tea party made no sense to me at all. I don’t know if I zoned out, but I have no idea what happened to the pig-baby. Did she just drop it and leave it? The whole croquet game and trial also made no sense to me. It was all just a very weird experience.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 4 comments I have finally completed Alice in Wonderland and lets just say I had times where I questioned my sanity as well as Alice's and other times i was a bit confused. But I actually enjoyed when she met the Queen of Hearts and played croquet though it was a bit strange. Maybe had a I been younger and never seen the Disney version, I could have enjoyed it versus feeling it all being a strange experience.

Katie | 25 comments I actually quite enjoyed the book. I've always loved the movie (cartoon and real) so it was very cool being able to read the original. I definitely see the different aspects captured in each movie. As for the book it wasn't exactly what j was expecting but it was very good. I wanted to give the book about a 4.5/6 so I settled for giving it a 4. I'm definitely glad that I have read it. I think I will most likely be reading through the looking glass before the next movie comes out.