On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

More Authors > Pat Conroy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4105 comments Mod
I picked up my newspaper from the stoop this morning to be my with the headline: Low country's own Prince of Tides dies.

Pat Conroy died last night around 7:30 from his pancreatic cancer. He was 70. It was only a couple of weeks ago that he announced he was fighting it. He was a Literary God in this area (Charleston, S.C.), and there were 3 full pages devoted to his life and books just today. I'm sure there will be much more.

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I was sad to hear of Pat Conroy's death . I loved Prince of Tides , South of Broad and Beach Music. I just read an article that quoted him from an interview he gave :

"The reason I write is to explain my life to myself," Conroy said in a 1986 interview. "I've also discovered that when I do, I'm explaining other people's lives to them."

And he did !

message 3: by Jane (last edited Mar 05, 2016 07:09AM) (new)

Jane | 753 comments I just received Water is Wide this morning so how sad

message 4: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I think I have read all his fiction books but none of his non fiction. Loved his books, will sorely miss his writing.

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 450 comments Very sad. I loved his My Reading Life. It seemed like he was working through his tough childhood through his writing.

message 6: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Patton | 21 comments Diane wrote: "I picked up my newspaper from the stoop this morning to be my with the headline: Low country's own Prince of Tides dies.

Pat Conroy died last night around 7:30 from his pancreatic cancer. He was 7..."

Rick Bragg tells a story that illustrates the kind of man Pat Conroy was. When Bragg's All Over but the Shoutin' was published, Conroy drove from his house in SC to the Bragg home in Alabama and delivered a bouquet of roses to Rick's mama.

message 7: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
To me he was bigger than life itself. I met him in Huntsville, Alabama, at the first symposium on Child sexual abuse and exploitation. He was the keynote speaker. Who better to have than the man who had written "The Great Santini"? He spoke about his life, his family, and the ordeal of the molestation of his step daughter. I had only begun my work with child abuse cases. What he said touched me deeply. I overcame my usual temerity when in the presence of a great writer, introduced myself. We talked for a bit. Something seemed to click. Or perhaps it was that classic bravura brashness he flashed so easily. "Keep up the work," he told me. I said I would and I did. That night I read "The Prince of Tides." Straight through. In some ways that book became the reason I did keep up the work. When Conroy published "My Losing Season," his memoir of playing basketball at the Citadel, I met Conroy again. It was in Oxford, Mississippi. Of course, he signed that book. But it was my copy of "The Prince of Tides," I wanted him to sign more. "I met you in Huntsville, " I said. He looked at me closely. "Yes, Huntsville. I remember." I got a bit of a lump in my throat. "I kept up the work," I told him. He only nodded. His hand wavered over the title page of the book before lowering the tip of the pen and wrote, "To Mike, For the love of children. Pat Conroy." I was with my friend, Eddie Sherlock, that day. Eddie said, "He knew you. He remembered you." Conroy's inscription had not sunk in. "Look at what he wrote. It's written to you." Yes, it was. Strange how seemingly small things said between people connect them. I saw him several times over the years after that. Each of my copies of his books is signed. Yet, only "The Prince of Tides" bears the personal Conroy touch that means so much to me. I will miss Pat Conroy. From his often troubled life he created works of writing that helped others explore their own and inspired many to become helpers to them. Conroy kept up the work. Always.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 601 comments The scenes where the mother is cooking for the competitions & the father constantly puts her down, and she cooks the dog food hash always sticks with me. We have a sibling in The Great Santini mode, growing up with such people is harrowing.

message 9: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Patton | 21 comments Lawyer wrote: "To me he was bigger than life itself. I met him in Huntsville, Alabama, at the first symposium on Child sexual abuse and exploitation. He was the keynote speaker. Who better to have than the man wh..."

Excellent tribute. Keep up the good work.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 601 comments Heartfelt and touching tribute, Mike, thank you for writing it. I read his books while raising my own children, trying to fight back against a history of abuse coming from their dad's side. They really spoke to me in the turmoil. To his credit, my husband fought against the lessons of his childhood and became a great parent, but it is never easy to move beyond what we learn as "the way things are done" from our early years. He has a great relationship with our kids, and stood up to his parents and changed that relationship, as well. Raising healthy kids who can go out into the world and make a difference is no small thing, but there really is no road map. Conroy's books often had dark aspects, but they always had a kernel of hope, as well.

message 11: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Mike , what a wonderful story . Thanks for sharing it .

message 12: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

He did several book signings at the bookstore I work at in Mt. Pleasant, SC. We always had 800-900 people show up for these events. No matter how long he stayed, or how many books he signed, he was as kind and gracious to the last person as to the first, even though he must have been exhausted. And after the people were gone and the doors were locked, he stayed to talk to the staff and sign our books, and to thank us for the work we did. What a gentleman.

message 13: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Diane , thanks for sharing that . These personal stories make me even sadder to know we not only lost a great writer but a good man .

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 178 comments So here's what I've been wondering - was the Pat Conroy at 70 festival in Beaufort because people knew of his illness back in October? He only announced it February 15. I saw him sometime in the fall when he was introducing Story River Books at a Furman event and he seemed to be pretty well himself.

message 15: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Jenny, from what I read, the Beaufort festival was in honor of his birthday, but our newspaper said he got the diagnosis several months ago, and just went public with it in February, so who knows?