Play Book Tag discussion

March 2016: Mystery Thriller > Ways To Disappear By Ida Novey - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Emma is feeling a bit unsettled in her relationship with her fiance when a Brazilian writer Emma disappears after last being seen climbing into a tree with a suitcase and a cigar. Eerily similar to a book Emma has translated for "her author", Emma flies to Brazil to help in the search and finds herself on a journey to find not only the author but herself.

I was originally going to rate this book a three. But I have thought of Emma so often in the days after concluding the book that it I now feel the book must have been stronger than my original reaction. This is a debut novel and Novey is a poet. Since I'm such a literalist I've always struggled with poetry. While I did draw some interesting themes from the read I can't help but think there are some things below the surface I'm missing. The themes that struck me were the hold our memories of the past can have on our present and the difference between how we perceive ourselves versus the truth of our character.

The. book is shelved as Mystery-Thriller. I would say it loosely fits that description.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Is this book written as a poem, or is it just poetic language? Just trying to get a sense . . .

Also, I'm a little confused about your first sentence of this review, lol. Are there two Emmas? One with a fiance and one who is a Brazilian writer? Or am I just completely confused? It's quite possible. I haven't had coffee yet.

message 3: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Regina wrote: "Emma is feeling a bit unsettled in her relationship with her fiance when a Brazilian writer Emma disappears after last being seen climbing into a tree with a suitcase and a cigar. Eerily similar to..."

This is one I've been watching so appreciate your review. I'm still on the fence, though.

message 4: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Anita, it is my fault. I put Emma as both characters. Will go back and fix when I'm in front of the computer. It is not written as a poem and not really poetic language. The novelist is a poet and o got the sense there was a lot of symbolism in the work that I missed. That's what I get for rushing through this early in the morning.

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5791 comments Regina wrote: "I was originally going to rate this book a three. But I have thought of Emma so often in the days after concluding the book that it I now feel the book must have been stronger than my original reaction."

This book has been on my radar. I'm not sure now where I stand on it. I think I'm going to wait and get more reactions.