Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
36 views
2016 Archives > Epic Fantasy, Epic Adventure - Ashley Capes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Apr 04, 2016 04:18AM) (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Welcome to the Bone Mask World!

description




Hi! I'm Ashley and I'm an author from Australia

Thanks for visiting my booth - you're most welcome to stick around for free books, competitions, chats and all Bone Mask Trilogy/Book of Never related stuff :)

Most of my novels are a mix of epic fantasy and adventure, often with a strong element of cloak & dagger - especially here with my Bone Mask books, which are longer, multi-POV stories.


So, free stuff!!

If you jump down to right under the cover art below, you'll see some giveaway details for both City of Masks and The Lost Mask


bonetrilogy


GIVEAWAY DETAILS

To enter, all you have to do is comment below and you'll automatically be entered into the draw (chosen by random number generator at the end of the convention!)

1. City of Masks: - 3 ebooks available
2. City of Masks + The Lost Mask - 2 sets of both ebooks available


Good luck!


message 2: by Ashley (last edited Apr 04, 2016 04:22AM) (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Hi again!

Okay, here you can learn about and win copies of my latest series the Book of Never :)

amberisle

forestofeyes


The 'Never' series are novellas and novels that cross the treasure-hunting of Indiana Jones with a magical world of epic fantasy and add in a fair bit of sarcasm :D

Here's the blurb for Book 1, The Amber Isle:

Roguish Never is on a quest to lift a curse on his blood and to learn his true name; but upon joining a group of treasure-hunters he soon finds himself unearthing world-altering secrets that have long lain dormant within the mysterious Amber Isle.

Below you can win all the books - including future releases :)



GIVEAWAY DETAILS

To enter, all you have to do is comment below and you'll automatically be entered into the draw (chosen by random number generator at the end of the convention!)

1. The Amber Isle - 3 ebooks available
2. The Amber Isle + A Forest of Eyes - 2 ebook packs available
3. All five ebooks, send directly to your inbox as they release - 1 pack of all 5 ebooks available

Book of Never 1: The Amber Isle - March 1st 2016
Book of Never 2: A Forest of Eyes - May 1st 2016
Book of Never 3: River God - July 1st 2016
Book of Never 4: The Peaks of Autumn - October 1st 2016
Book of Never 5: Imperial Towers - January 1st 2017


Good luck and thanks for entering!

#Fantasy


message 3: by Ashley (last edited Apr 08, 2016 05:58AM) (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments It's already nighttime on 8th here in Australia, so I'll be in and out of the booth for the next few hours :)


message 4: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 53 comments Just dropping in to say hello, Ashley.

I already have City of Masks & The Lost Mask, (loved both books & am looking forawrd to the next one) but would love to be entered into the other draw :)


message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate M. Colby (katemcolby) | 36 comments I feel so lame, because I had no idea you had these other series in the works! But, with as much as I loved the stand-alones, I've read, I can't wait to dig into these. The 'Never' series looks especially fun!

And double author kudos on that rigorous release schedule. Very impressive!


message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Rainne wrote: "Just dropping in to say hello, Ashley.

I already have City of Masks & The Lost Mask, (loved both books & am looking forawrd to the next one) but would love to be entered into the other draw :)"


Hey! Thanks, Rainne :) I'm pushing to get Greatmask out in August, just have to get some more feedback from the publisher and we're on track.

And fantastic - you're definitely entered into the Never giveaways :)


message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Kate wrote: "I feel so lame, because I had no idea you had these other series in the works! But, with as much as I loved the stand-alones, I've read, I can't wait to dig into these. The 'Never' series looks especially fun!

And double author kudos on that rigorous release schedule. Very impressive! "


Thanks, Kate - I must admit it's less impressive than it seems, perhaps, as wrote books 1-3 early last year :D AND those first ones are novellas so they're shorter than 4 & 5 will be, but I'm really hoping to keep to that plan!

And ace! I hope I can live up to your expectations :D


message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 23 comments Hi Ashley! Just popping by to say hello, give you a boost during daylight hours here in the states, and to tell everyone how much I enjoyed The Amber Isle. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Christina wrote: "Hi Ashley! Just popping by to say hello, give you a boost during daylight hours here in the states, and to tell everyone how much I enjoyed The Amber Isle. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.c..."

Christina!!

Thanks, great to 'see' you - been trying to find your booth for a couple minutes now lol

And thanks for the review too, so happy to hear it :)


message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 23 comments I'm just a spectator this year (or a specator, depending kn whose booth I'm in). But I'm happy to give my support to all the amazing folks I met this year! ;)


message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Snap Comp!

If anyone's awake/not at work, to instantly win an ebook of City of Masks, simply name three albums that I listened to while writing its sequel, The Lost Mask:

http://www.cityofmasks.com/blog/a-wri...

:)


message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Christina wrote: "I'm just a spectator this year (or a specator, depending kn whose booth I'm in). But I'm happy to give my support to all the amazing folks I met this year! ;)"

Ah-ha, that's why I couldn't find one :D

And specator is a pretty nifty word, there? In another booth? How'd that happen? :D


message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Ember wrote: "1. Dir En Grey, Dum Spiro Spero. 2. Killswitch Engage, As Daylight Dies. 3. Camel, The Snow Goose. (love Camel!)"

Ace! Perfect, I'll send you a PM in a minute then e-mail you a copy of City of Masks :)

And yes, aren't Camel awesome! The closer from Mirage could have been in that list actually, I play that whole album a lot too .


Have entered you into the draw too, and thanks! Lin Hsiang did the illustration:

http://linhsiang.daportfolio.com/gall...

And VividCovers the typography

http://www.vividcovers.com/


message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 23 comments Ashley wrote: "And specator is a pretty nifty word, there? In another booth? How'd that happen? :D "

Well, the usual way: part typo, part cy-con magic. ;)


message 15: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve (genlaine) | 3 comments Those book covers and that map are beautiful <3 And I absolutely adore reading books with multi POV sign me up!! :)


message 16: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve (genlaine) | 3 comments Those book covers and that map are beautiful <3 And I absolutely adore reading books with multi POV sign me up!! :)


message 17: by Aldrea (new)

Aldrea Alien (aldreaalien) | 21 comments Hi, finally got some time to cruise through the booths and your Never Series sounds like it might be right up my alley, will most certainly be scoping that out. I'm also loving that map. Is there a place where I can see a bigger version?


message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Christina wrote: "Ashley wrote: "And specator is a pretty nifty word, there? In another booth? How'd that happen? :D "

Well, the usual way: part typo, part cy-con magic. ;)"


:D


message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Gen wrote: "Those book covers and that map are beautiful <3 And I absolutely adore reading books with multi POV sign me up!! :)"

Fantastic, good luck, Gen and thanks for entering :)

Some crazy trivia about the covers - one of my ex-students was randomly commissioned by my publisher to do the covers, it was a wonderful surprise when I found out!


message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Aldrea wrote: "Hi, finally got some time to cruise through the booths and your Never Series sounds like it might be right up my alley, will most certainly be scoping that out. I'm also loving that map. Is there a..."

Aldrea, hi! Thanks for visiting and that's ace to hear about 'Never'! Here's a link to a higher-res map for the Bone mask books :)

http://www.cityofmasks.com/uploads/2/...


message 21: by Aldrea (new)

Aldrea Alien (aldreaalien) | 21 comments Ashley wrote: "Aldrea wrote: "Hi, finally got some time to cruise through the booths and your Never Series sounds like it might be right up my alley, will most certainly be scoping that out. I'm also loving that ..."

Oh my... It's even more beautiful. All those little details in the trees and mountains. Did you do it or...?


message 22: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod
Just popping in to say hi. Love the book covers and the map.


message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Alas, I have no such skills :D

https://www.fiverr.com/renflowergrapx

Ren did an awesome job, I was very happy! Are you looking for a map illustrator?


message 24: by Aldrea (new)

Aldrea Alien (aldreaalien) | 21 comments Ashley wrote: "Alas, I have no such skills :D

https://www.fiverr.com/renflowergrapx

Ren did an awesome job, I was very happy! Are you looking for a map illustrator?"


Not at the moment, my own modest attempts serve me all right, for now. I'm a sucker for a good fantasy map, I love going back and forth between looking at them and reading, and the more detail the better. But I think I'll keep her in mind to do a city map for my saga. I suck at those.


message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments A.F. wrote: "Just popping in to say hi. Love the book covers and the map."

Hey! Thank you :) How's everything going so far? (I'm leaping around from booth to booth like a madman, but it's fun :D)


message 26: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Just popping in to say hi. Love the book covers and the map."

Hey! Thank you :) How's everything going so far? (I'm leaping around from booth to booth like a madman, but it's fun :D)"


It's been great. Yesterday I checked out the live feed, tweeted up a storm in promos, and did a panel. I'm going to try and make the rounds in the booths today and read the entries for the Story Hop (plus I have another panel).


message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments A.F. wrote: "...the Story Hop..."

I have to go and check this out, great reminder :)


message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Aldrea wrote: "Not at the moment, my own modest attempts serve me all right, for now. I'm a sucker for a good fantasy map, I love going back and forth between looking at them and reading, and the more detail the better. But I think I'll keep her in mind to do a city map for my saga. I suck at those. "

Aren't they awesome! Me too, the perfect reference item, really. She's definitely worth keeping bookmarked - I bet she'd do great cities too. I think I'd cry if I had to try drawing a map for a city :D


message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Sleep beckons!

In the meantime, if anyone is looking for another 'snap giveaway' then all you gotta do is RT the cover to A Forest of Eyes

https://twitter.com/Ash_Capes/status/...

And you're a winner :D


message 30: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Such a sucker for maps, yours is great!


message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog) | 17 comments Hello thanks for the chance! This sounds good!


message 32: by Duawana (new)

Duawana Wilson (goodreadsduawana) | 34 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi again!

Okay, here you can learn about and win copies of my latest series the Book of Never :)




The 'Never' series are novellas and novels that cross the treasure-hunting of Indiana Jones wi..."


I am new to your books but I think I would really enjoy them.


message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments V.S. wrote: "Such a sucker for maps, yours is great!"

V.S, thank you! I feel the same, they're just amazing - sometimes I wish I had a tabletop scale map :D


message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Ashley wrote: "Hello thanks for the chance! This sounds good!"

Thanks, Ashley (cool name, by the way) - have entered you into the draw :)


message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Duawana wrote: "I am new to your books but I think I would really enjoy them"

Hi Duawana! Awesome to hear - I've added you down for the 'Never' giveaways :)


message 36: by Ashley (last edited Apr 10, 2016 12:49AM) (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Let's talk top tens!

And since we're all book fans - let's make it a musical top ten :D

Hit me with your top ten albums/songs to double your chances of winning one of my titles (here's my top ten as it stands this month (subject to chance every month of course)

Top Ten Albums

In no particular order and hoping I recall the years correctly:


1. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (1973)
2. Opeth - Ghost Reveries (2005)
3. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)
4. Roy Harper - Stormcock (1971)
5. Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles (1963)
6. Keith Jarrett - Koln Concern (1974)
7. Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (2002)
8. Lucio Battisti - Amore e non Amore (1971)
9. Joe Hisaishi - Howl's Moving Castle OST (2005)
10. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape (1997)



message 37: by Marco (new)

Marco Marek (marcomarek) | 34 comments hi Ashley ! wow Lucio Battisti !


message 38: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Gotta love Howl's Moving Castle! Your books sound fascinating. I'd love to be entered in your giveaways if it's not too late. :) That's a gorgeous map by the way.


message 39: by Aldrea (new)

Aldrea Alien (aldreaalien) | 21 comments Well, I don't know all the years, but the songs I've been listening to recently are...

1. Trespassing - Adam Lambert
2. Secret Love Son, Pt.II - Little Minx
3. Phantom of the Opera (most of the album, actually) - Andrew Llyod Webber
4. Anaconda - Nikki Minaj
5. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked - Cage the Elephant
6. Black Sheep - Gin Wigmore
7. Kingdom Dance (Tangled Album) - Alan Menken
8. Into the Open Air (Brave Album) - Julie Fowlis
9. Brown Crown - Mumford & Son
10. Devil's Backbone - The Civil Wars


message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Ace, Aldrea - and Cage the Elephant, I've been meaning to listen to them, what's your fav album of theirs?


message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Kaela wrote: "Gotta love Howl's Moving Castle! Your books sound fascinating. I'd love to be entered in your giveaways if it's not too late. :) That's a gorgeous map by the way."

Hi Kaela, thanks! & absolutely - I'm open to entries over the whole convention :)

And yes, isn't Joe amazing! I almost learnt the piano to Merry Go Round of Life from the OST but stalled rather badly :D


message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Marco wrote: "hi Ashley ! wow Lucio Battisti !"

Hi Marco! Love Lucio - so, so many great songs. I often can't decide between that one and Anima Latina or Umanamente uomo: il sogno as my fav. What's yours? :)


message 43: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments You have so many books and they all look great!


message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Maddy wrote: "You have so many books and they all look great!"

Thanks, Maddy - I'm working hard to write even more, glad you like the look of them :)


message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Okay! Announcing winners for giveaways later today, not enough time on my lunch break XD


message 46: by Duawana (new)

Duawana Wilson (goodreadsduawana) | 34 comments Ashley wrote: "Duawana wrote: "I am new to your books but I think I would really enjoy them"

Hi Duawana! Awesome to hear - I've added you down for the 'Never' giveaways :)"


Thank you Ashley my fingers are crossed


message 47: by Nix (new)

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Ashley wrote: "Kaela wrote: "Gotta love Howl's Moving Castle! Your books sound fascinating. I'd love to be entered in your giveaways if it's not too late. :) That's a gorgeous map by the way."

Hi Kaela, thanks! ..."


You're quite welcome. :)

Yes he is! I did that with part of a soundtrack once. Taught myself to play a 30 second or so snippet of it. Was going to try to learn more but my brother messed with the innards in an effort to learn how it works (ever the curious one) and now it's in desperate need of tuning. Lol


message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Sorry everyone - unforeseeable delays, but you've not been forgotten - winners tomorrow!


message 49: by Marco (new)

Marco Marek (marcomarek) | 34 comments I didn't know Lucio was famous in Australia too :) i like Acqua azzurra but yes he had lot of hits .

By the way your map is amazing :)


message 50: by Ashley (last edited Apr 13, 2016 06:02AM) (new)

Ashley Capes | 54 comments Announcements at last!

Congratulations everyone and thanks for your support over the conventions :)

Rainne - Never -pack
Christina - CoM
Ember - CoM
Gen - CoM+TLM
Aldrea - Amber
V.S. - Amber+Forest
Ashley - Amber+Forest
Duawana - Amber
Marco - CoM
Kaela - Amber
Maddy - CoM+TLM

(I'm about to shoot off a PM to everyone who won an ebook too, so stand by for that soon)


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.