UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Nook pulling out of UK

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments Just a warning for anyone with a Nook...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-...

message 2: by Lydia (new)

Lydia St Giles (lydia_stg) | 62 comments Thanks for that. I've just bought a secondhand Kobo and hope that doesn't follow suit.

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Oh lordie that is awful. Can they work out something that means Nook users can purchase books from an American retailer still? That would be the best thing all round no?

From what it sounds like though it's a bit of a 'tough shit' thing which is sad.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That is a shame. I hate to see Amazon losing any competition.

Having said that, I don't think I know anyone who owns a nook.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments Mary will be annoyed, she's started advertising on that platform because it got sales!
But what got me was "Barnes & Noble said it is teaming up with supermarket giant Sainsbury's to ensure that customers can still access content they have already paid for."

Now I may be ignorant but if I've downloaded something, surely it's mine?
What happens if you store the books on a PC that isn't connected to the internet anyway?

I suspect that had they not done this deal with Sainsbury's they'd have had legal problems.

What it does show is that we really need one format so that if a company decides not to support ebooks any more, it doesn't matter.
I'm still waiting for Amazon to decide to charge authors for the service they provide, distributing their books. :-(

message 6: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments By charge, Jim, do you mean on top of the commission from each sale?

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments It's Betamax all over again.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments David wrote: "By charge, Jim, do you mean on top of the commission from each sale?"

Yes a set storage fee for use of their web space. I wonder what a dollar per 10,000 words per year would earn them

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments I would think it's a bit of a minefield, feel very sorry for those who have spent a lot of money on books, surely they can't just take away all the books that people have bought can they ?

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Once they are on the e reader wouldn't they just stay there then? If they are in the cloud I could see them disappearing but if they are downloaded would they be safe?

message 11: by Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:56AM) (new)

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Years ago I used to use Calibre to convert books from one format to another and store them. It's free to use. Might be of some use to some of you if you're worried about losing your books.
Here's a link - https://calibre-ebook.com/

G J (Gaff to my friends) Reilly | 1901 comments Calibre's great. I use it to format my books before sending 'em up to Amazon. It's such an easy interface.

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments http://uk.pcmag.com/tablets/75741/new...

As far as I can tell, books downloaded onto a device are safe. But you won't be able to access stuff that you have bought but which isn't on your machine - say something that you have archived.

I think,

message 14: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Oh no! The Amazon monopoly is getting more and more scary.

Recently, Amazon shut my account because they didn't like me returning things, which meant I could no longer use KDP. Fortunately, after around 10 unsuccessful appeals, I managed to get it reinstated. It did bring home how much my career would be damaged without Amazon. It's a situation that makes me very uncomfortable.

This Nook development will only heighten the problem.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Will wrote: "http://uk.pcmag.com/tablets/75741/new...

As far as I can tell, books downloaded onto a device are safe. But you won't be able to access stuff that you h..."

But what if your device goes tits up? We've got all our stuff backed up in several places.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rosen wrote: "Oh no! The Amazon monopoly is getting more and more scary.

Recently, Amazon shut my account because they didn't like me returning things, which meant I could no longer use KDP. Fortunately, after..."

They shut your account? That's redickalus!

message 17: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Rosen wrote: "Oh no! The Amazon monopoly is getting more and more scary.

Recently, Amazon shut my account because they didn't like me returning things, which meant I could no longer use KDP. Fortunately, after..."

Best way to sort that, have one account for KDP, and another for buying goods. Or don't buy anything from Amazon!

message 18: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Doomed, we're all doomed.

Don't tell him your name, Pike.

message 19: by Pam (last edited Mar 06, 2016 06:07AM) (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2883 comments Jim wrote: "Mary will be annoyed, she's started advertising on that platform because it got sales!
But what got me was "Barnes & Noble said it is teaming up with supermarket giant Sainsbury's to ensure that cu... Now I may be ignorant but if I've downloaded something, surely it's mine?"

Afraid not Jim. If you look at, for example, the Kindle store terms of usage, Kindle content and look at the section titled 'use of kindle content', you'll see how Amazon spells out that "Kindle Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider". This is normal for digital downloads, e.g. MP3, games etc. You are granted a licence to use it, you never 'own' it.

As far as the single format goes, that was meant to be EPUB but Amazon decided to use mobi instead.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments I was left wondering whether storing your ebooks on a hard drive that wasn't available for Amazon to inspect would be legitimate cause for termination of your contract with Amazon, because then how do they know you're not attempting to "bypass, modify, defeat, or circumvent security features that protect the Kindle Content." After all, you might put your books on a memory stick and upload them onto a friend's device which isn't connected to the internet

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments David it was on watchdog about Amazon shutting down accounts for too many returns and then shutting down accounts in the same building as you are associated with them. Unfortuantely having two accounts may not save the situation at all if like Rosen they decide to do the unthinkable.

Even watchdog couldn't get them to see what they were doing was crazy. It's left me terrified I may lose my Kindle library one day.

I'm glad they restored your account Rosen.

As for the Nook I don't know anyone who has one but it's a sad day to see anyone depart from the market. If you have a device and it doesn't break down you seem fine but if I've read the article correctly they are closing the app which means if you've bought books but don't own a Nook you may need to find an alternative method.

I have to wonder how long it is before Kobo pulls out which would leave no epub readers in the UK. Would the libraries that offer epub books be able to switch to mobi or would e readers from libraries be stuck with an e reader but no other way to get the books but Amazon.

message 22: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Michelle is correct. If you setup two accounts and they take issue with one of them, both could be lost. They told me in no uncertain terms that if I tried to rejoin, my new account would be deleted.

They were very, very rude to me, and any attempts to reason with them just resulted in form responses. They said their was no appeal process or option to escalate.

I came very, very close to losing years of hard work for no sensible reason. We need healthy competition from other eBook providers.

message 23: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Somewhat appropriately, I've just seen this:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/03...

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments I suspect that Amazon is going to discover that a lot of things it does are illegal somewhere

message 25: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I *think*, but can't be sure, that after my account was closed, I could access previously purchased books but not buy new ones - not what you expect when you buy a Kindle.

I would really love to blog about exactly what happened, but I'm concerned that they'll brand me a menace and close my account, which I can't afford.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments That sucks Rosen that Amazon have such a poor attitude that your still afraid of your account being closed, simply by talking about what they put you through.

I hope it doesn't happen again but it's scary to know they can just pull anyone's account just because they've returned too much or whatever other reason they decide to give. I mean seriously how much is too much?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rosen wrote: "I *think*, but can't be sure, that after my account was closed, I could access previously purchased books but not buy new ones - not what you expect when you buy a Kindle.

I would really love to b..."

You could share your experience with a trusted friend who has nothing to lose who could then share what happened to you.

message 28: by Lydia (new)

Lydia St Giles (lydia_stg) | 62 comments I thought I'd check on what Foyles are currently doing. It turns out they abandoned their ebook section (which used Nook, I believe) in August last year.
The libraries position may be less problematic (for readers, rather than those who publish digitally). The local council lists a huge array of options for downloading ebooks. Most libraries use an Adobe sign-in.

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Jim wrote: "I'm still waiting for Amazon to decide to charge authors for the service they provide, distributing their books. :-( "

They already do charge authors for the bandwidth of the customer downloading the book

message 30: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "You could share your experience with a trusted friend who has nothing to lose who could then share what happened to you."

I can't because the way that I got it reinstated was quite specific.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's a shame, Rosen.

message 32: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I know. I'd like to raise awareness to stop the same thing happening to other authors, but I think it's best to stay under Amazon's radar.

That said, I advise any authors who use Amazon for buying to think carefully about the nature of things they're ordering. If there's something you want but you're not sure what the quality/suitability will be like, get it from a shop if you can. It's just not worth the risk of having to make a return, even though you would be within your statutory rights. This also removes the (unacceptably high) chance of couriers damaging your parcels.

message 33: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Don't bank on Kobo - whoever mentioned it. Kobo went off on one a couple of years back with indie books. Anything with vaguely adult content has either been removed entirely or is only available in certain places.

I don't have a nook - but I do sell a bit on B&N and I think it's a shame to restrict the market. It helps no one.

message 34: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Kobo temporarily removed all self-published books, didn't they? Just because they didn't implement a decent review process and a kid searching for 'Daddy Goes to the Park' got 'Daddy Shows Amber How to Take is Like a Woman'.

message 35: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Wasn't even a real kid, it was a tabloid journo out to rake up some muck. And WH Smith went totally postal, and shut down their entire web presence over it. (WH Smith were, and possibly still are, Kobo distributors for the UK)

message 36: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I wonder how many times they had to search for different kids books before they got a result that produced a book with adult content.