Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Favorite read this year so far?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

AgCl So i just wanna ask: What's the best book/s you've read so far this year?

mine is Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons its was just unexpectedly entertaining and funny (i didn't read the blurb) for something that was written generations before mine.

p.s. i know, i know this sounds suspiciously like another book request thread, but if i requested directly, people either ask for specific genres /descriptions (i'm not really particular about genre) and whatnots and sometimes they just suggest books they haven't even read themselves (which isn't cool). So PLEEEASEEE, pleeeaszzzz comment. TIA!!!!

Shobhit Inferno by Dan Brown, it was great, mysterious and what not. Although people in reviews didn't enjoy it but I did, greatly. And now, I have decided to read more books by Dan Brown.

Matt I read The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It's an amazing book. Such a good plot and characters. Can't wait for the third one to come out.

Samuel Wightman I've been reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan for the first time. I think it's great! The world building and character depth is outstanding. I see why Robert Jordan is so highly praised.

Matt Samuel wrote: "I've been reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan for the first time. I think it's great! The world building and character depth is outstanding. I see why Robert Jordan is so highly praised."

I've been interested in reading this series but it seems like a major time investment, plus I really don't like Brandon Sanderson's work. How noticeable is the transition from Jordan to Sanderson?

AgCl Samuel wrote: "I've been reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan for the first time. I think it's great! The world building and character depth is outstanding. I see why Robert Jordan is so highly praised."

Ooooh its on my to read list haven't gotten around reading it but i'll try my best.

Rinsister Wonder by RJ Palacio tops the list. It was a study in child behavior done in a most unassumingly funny and moving way. All the characters who get viewpoints are so credible and different it's unbelievable how one person could have thought them up so concisely. Keep a tissue box ready though.

The Return of the King. I've been made to feel ashamed several times at how late I started reading Lord of the Rings. Needn't be said that it's a masterpiece but book 3 really steals the show. Though my favorite characters, Eowyn and Samwise, the underdogs never get their due :(

Yavanna Umm, does it have to be this year?
Because this year I've read a couple of okay'ish books, but none was as epic or memorable as "The name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

I think I have read that one 4 times now and also the next one, "wise man's fear" ... just awesome. Epic. Outstanding.

I found myself in his universe much too often and wondering things like "what would I have said/done in that situation/to that person if I had been there/if I had been Kvothe/if I had been there as a powerful arcanist" ... if I read a passage that touched me for some reason, it was enough for a half-hour bus ride to keep my thoughts occupied ^^ so I really immersed myself in Kvothes world, that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

I want to say both books are equal to "The lord of the rings" in epicness.

I also immensely enjoyed "Hounded" by Kevin Hearne (first book of the Iron Druid Chronicles. I read all of them, but "Hounded" will always be my favorite).

And third place goes to "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher (first book of the Dresden Files).

Honorary mention goes to "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery, which has been one of my favorite books since childhood.
I always wished this book was longer. I know all the sequels, but it's different when Anne grows up ^^ it's like Harry Potter growing up. It's still good, somehow, but I enjoyed the first three Harry Potter novels most and the first Anne-book also.

Oh and we listened to the audiobook of "the Martian" in our car this year, if that counts. That was a pretty good story, at least 4 stars.

Mhmhm ... and I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fan. So if you enjoy witty and/or funny and/or partially sarcastic fantasy, please take a look at "Guards Guards", "Witches abroad", "Lords and Ladies", "Thud", "Interesting times", "Carpe Jugulum" and "the fifth elephant".

One of my favorite quotes from "Witches Abroad" is:
"In Genua, someone set out to make dreams come true. Remember some of your dreams?”

If you now put the emphasis on "your" instead of "dreams", the whole feeling of the sentence changes and the lofty happy feeling of "woohoo dreams coming true" vanishes and you start to remember some of your nightmares ... (though the book isn't horror or scary, there is a tiny bit of voodoo, but the rest is totally hilarious, I love it).

AgCl Yavanna wrote: "Umm, does it have to be this year?
Because this year I've read a couple of okay'ish books, but none was as epic or memorable as "The name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

I think I have read th..."

Oh its okay if it isn't this year what's most important is that you really liked it.

message 10: by Eliana (new) - added it

message 11: by Samuel (last edited Apr 10, 2016 04:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samuel Wightman Matt wrote: "Samuel wrote: "I've been reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan for the first time. I think it's great! The world building and character depth is outstanding. I see why Robert Jordan is so high..."

I haven't gotten to the last couple of books yet, so I don't know. But I highly recommend the first five books so far. (What I've read so far)

message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Harry Potter!!! Duh. :) Can't wait for the 8th book!

message 13: by AgCl (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl Anna wrote: "Harry Potter!!! Duh. :) Can't wait for the 8th book!"

XD can't wait for Professor Longbottom! I hope he's not the only familiar character who got into Hogwarts.

N.E.S Anna wrote: "Harry Potter!!! Duh. :) Can't wait for the 8th book!"
Oh girl I know exactly how you feel

Pragati The chaos walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. All three books are amazing. The characters, setting, plot everything is just perfect. My favorite young adult series.

Benita I'm currently reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and it is so sad, but also funny and I love the characters so much!! I've only got eight chapters left... *sighs*

Himika Chakraborty Jane Eyre and Mockingjay.

message 18: by AgCl (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl Pragati wrote: "The chaos walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. All three books are amazing. The characters, setting, plot everything is just perfect. My favorite young adult series."

I've had so many false starts for Chaos Walking and i'm still trying to figure out why i'm not getting sucked into the story. I still have hopes though.

N.E.S Besides Harry Potter (which i've read 10 times) my favorite book i've read so far is Echo.

message 20: by AgCl (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl Nadia wrote: "Besides Harry Potter (which i've read 10 times) my favorite book i've read so far is Echo."

by which author?

Pragati AgCl wrote: "Pragati wrote: "The chaos walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. All three books are amazing. The characters, setting, plot everything is just perfect. My favorite young adult series."

I've had so many ..."

That sort of happened with me too with this series but once you get past the first twenty or so pages, you will not be able to put the books down, as I said before they are AMAZING!

message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nadia wrote: "Anna wrote: "Harry Potter!!! Duh. :) Can't wait for the 8th book!"
"Oh girl I know exactly how you feel"

I know right!!

N.E.S WHO SAW THE NEW TRAILER FOR "FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WERE TO FIND THEM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????

message 24: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N.E.S GIRL ONCE I SAW THAT TRAILER I COULD'NT BREATHE I CANNOT WAIT TILL IT COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N.E.S okay i have a question; Would you rather meet Harry Potter or Severus Snape?

N.E.S AgCl wrote: "Nadia wrote: "Besides Harry Potter (which i've read 10 times) my favorite book i've read so far is Echo."

by which author?"

Pam Muñoz Ryan

message 28: by AgCl (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl Nadia wrote: "okay i have a question; Would you rather meet Harry Potter or Severus Snape?"

That's easy, I've got him as my profile photo XD.

message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Harry Potter!

message 30: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nadia wrote: "Besides Harry Potter (which i've read 10 times) my favorite book i've read so far is Echo."
I loved that book! Favorite character?

N.E.S friedrich

N.E.S To the people who said they would want o be Harry Potter..........wouldn't Harry Potter be annoyed an angry that people would be asking him questions? hes already popular enough..........

message 33: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nadia wrote: "friedrich"

:) I liked him too

message 34: by Jazmine (new)

Jazmine Korpi The Throne of Glass Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N.E.S I really want tp.read that series

N.E.S OMG I can preorder the curse child book!!!!!!!!!!!

N.E.S I am having anothet panic attack

message 38: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nadia wrote: "OMG I can preorder the curse child book!!!!!!!!!!!"

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!