Play Book Tag discussion

In Cold Blood
This topic is about In Cold Blood
Archive: Other Books > In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I can only imagine that reading this book when it first came out was quite shocking and also the format was innovative. I believe that it is one of the first examples of narrative non-fiction, a form that is much more prevalent today. Also, I believe that this was a pretty shocking case at the time. However, in today's world of school and theater shootings, the Clutter family murders are not quite as shocking --- I am very sad to say this.

While this was a well researched and well written story, I thought there was a bit too much meandering in certain places. For example, I didn't really care about the other death row inmates. I listened to the audio and was a bit thrown off by the accent of the narrator. I'm not sure what he was going for, but often there was a bit of a southern twang which seemed odd for a story taking place in the mid-west. I certainly recognize this as a classic given that it was one of the first examples of telling a non-fiction event in a story format, but I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed.

NOTE: This is true crime, but I didn't feel there was really enough of a mystery and certainly not a thriller to use for the tag as you know pretty early who the killers were.

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments This is one of my all time favorite books. It is chilling

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments This has been on my TBR forever and I really need to get to it.

As a side note, a southern twang in the Midwest could be completely appropriate depending on where you are in the Midwest, though we call it a drawl. But, I think this takes place in Kansas? Not usually a drawl there but I am off to listen to a sample! Lol

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments This has been on my TBR forever and I really need to get to it.

As a side note, a southern twang in the Midwest could be completely appropriate depending on where you are in the Midwest, though we call it a drawl. But, I think this takes place in Kansas? Not usually a drawl there but I am off to listen to a sample! Lol

message 5: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1958 comments I can't remember if I've ever read the book but I remember seeing the movie in the late sixties. It starred a very young Robert Blake and Scott Wilson and it was definitely chilling. I'm going to add the book to my TBR.

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Ooo...it is narrated by Scott Brick, I do like him in general.

He does have an odd twang on some words! Especially for Western Kansas. Now that I know he narrates it though, I am more likely to listen to it!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments I first read it when it was a new book ... my godmother had it in her house and I picked it up once when we were visiting them, and I couldn't stop reading. I was in high school and had recently read To Kill a Mockingbird, but didn't know that Harper Lee was connected to this work or a friend of Capote's.

This past Christmas my brother (the estate-sale junkie), gave my husband a first edition of this book! He'd never read it before, but flew through it.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Nicole wrote: "This has been on my TBR forever and I really need to get to it.

As a side note, a southern twang in the Midwest could be completely appropriate depending on where you are in the Midwest, though w..."

I thought perhaps the drawl was a tribute to Truman Capote himself

message 9: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2763 comments I've never really been interested in reading this. But I just finished The Swans of Fifth Avenue and it has me tuned in to all things Capote.
A few years back I read Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee. I was left with the impression that she gave Capote substantial help with the research and writing of In Cold Blood which he did not acknowledge in any way.

Another interesting note. I read that biography long before Go Set a Watchman was published, but when I looked for the link I noticed that they've added 'from childhood to Go Set a Watchman' to the subtitle.

SouthWestZippy | 859 comments I read a lot of True Crime and I am a little over half way through this book and having trouble with it. It has way to much breading and not enough meat.

message 11: by Jennifer P. (new) - added it

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I read this in high school and loved it. I'm sure it was shocking in a similar way that Catcher in the Rye is with all the swears. I think Truman Capote is an interesting guy and I absolutely loved the movie Capote about him. I wonder if I'd feel the same way about it now that I'm a more experienced reader.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I first read it when it was a new book ... my godmother had it in her house and I picked it up once when we were visiting them, and I couldn't stop reading. I was in high school and had recently re..."

I also read it when it was new,1960s, and I couldn't put it down, even though it appalled me.

message 13: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I'm pretty sure I read this not long after it was published in paperback - I must have been about 15 or 16 (my mother was very liberal about my reading). I was fascinated and horrified by the story. I remember seeing the movie with Robert Blake, but I don't remember much about it.

SouthWestZippy | 859 comments JoLene wrote: "I can only imagine that reading this book when it first came out was quite shocking and also the format was innovative. I believe that it is one of the first examples of narrative non-fiction, a fo..."

If I would have read this when I was younger,had not read all the True Crime books I have read and knowing nothing about the case, I would have given it five stars. Well, maybe four, still long winded. LOL

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I read it in 2011, it is part of the 1001 Books to read before you die because it is a novelized nonfiction. My review for In Cold Blood is here at Goodreads. I had to check to see.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I definitely understand why it's on the list as it was genre defining.