Play Book Tag discussion

Mrs Queen Takes the Train
This topic is about Mrs Queen Takes the Train
Archive: Other Books > Mrs Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments If you like the movie Roman Holiday and Downton Abbey, you will most certainly enjoy this story. Queen Elizabeth (yes, the real queen) has been a bit down in the dumps lately. She is trying to keep up with the modern world, is having some difficulties, especially when the royal yacht and royal train are being retired due to expense. The Queen understands why, but stills feels a bit sentimental about it. One day, finding herself alone, she decides to slip out of the palace and travel up to Scotland on the train by herself. This causes quite a stir as you can imagine.

Through the story we also get to know various members of the royal household staff and a few other characters as they try to help find the queen without creating a national uproar. The general tone of the story is light and fun, but it does bring up some more difficult subjects such as the Iraq war, racial tensions as well as criticisms of the monarchy itself. There are some LOL moments as the Queen is on the train and her travel companions are trying to figure out where they know her from ---- and decide it might be Helen Mirren. I listened to the audio and the narrator gave an excellent performance.

JudithAnn | 41 comments I read this a few years ago, but remember that I liked it a lot. It's a light read but discusses some serious topics and that is a great combination.