CanadianContent discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives 2016-2020 > CBC's Canada Reads 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (last edited Mar 04, 2016 06:28PM) (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
I have separated out the general Canadian literature discussion and Canada reads 2016. This is a place to discuss the short-list and winners of this year's Canada reads:
Birdie
Bone & Bread
The Illegal
the Hero's Walk
The Minister without a Portfolio

message 2: by ❀ Susan (new)

Is anyone following Canada Reads 2016? I was very pleased to attend Winterfest in Hamilton and hear Lawrence Hill speak about his book the Illegal last night: http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/02/0...

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

Book # 2 read, Birdie - enjoyed this story of strength and love between women in a family despite abuse and despair: http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/02/1...

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

I am partway through Bone&Bread - is anyone else reading any of the Canada Reads books this year?

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "Is anyone following Canada Reads 2016? I was very pleased to attend Winterfest in Hamilton and hear Lawrence Hill speak about his book the Illegal last night: http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/02/07..."

I'm a Canada Reads junkie. I watch/listen to it every year, and always read all the books before it starts. I'm in the process of reading The Hero's Walk right now, then I'll be done with all 5. I have no clear favorite this year so the debates will be interesting.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "Book # 2 read, Birdie - enjoyed this story of strength and love between women in a family despite abuse and despair http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/02/1..."

Birdie was a difficult read for me. It's an incredibly sad, heart-breaking book that seemed to only scratch the surface of this family's true plight. I found myself frustrated that the women in her family did not do a better job at protecting her.

message 7: by Louise (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:03PM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "I am partway through Bone&Bread - is anyone else reading any of the Canada Reads books this year?"

Saleema Nawaz attended my book club last year. A lovely modest lady, and from Montreal so I'm rooting for her. I read this book 2 years ago and I still remember it well so that is always a good sign. I liked her collection of short stories Mother Superior even more. Bone and Bread is based on one of these short stories.

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

That is great - is she from Montreal? I love it when our book club has an author join us. It gives you such a richer view of the book when you have a sense of the author and have been able to ask questions.

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "That is great - is she from Montreal? I love it when our book club has an author join us. It gives you such a richer view of the book when you have a sense of the author and have been able to ask q..."

Yes, Saleema lives in Montreal. In fact she lived right next to one of the better known bagel shops in Montreal for several years, much like the sisters in Bone & Bread.

She wrote about her experiences with book clubs in one of her blogs:

http://metaphysical-conceit.blogspot....

Her comment "I even took a suburban commuter bus to visit a book club at the Brossard Library! " is in reference to the book club that I'm in, the same one that had Heather O'Neill last night. We're usually about 20 members in attendence so it's great to have an author all to ourselves for a couple of hours.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments She also talks about the Canada Reads behind the scenes experience on this blog: http://metaphysical-conceit.blogspot....

message 11: by ❀ Susan (new)

So fantastic that you met both of them authors - you have some big name authors that have joined your book club!!

Here is an interesting article relating to Birdie about the author's own experience: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/un...

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Oh thank you for the link. I had not seen that one. Did you hear her interview with Shelagh Rogers on The Next Chapter?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thenextchapte...

message 13: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks for posting Saleema's blog site - I am still envious of her attending your book club!! I will have to listen to the interview that you posted also.

I just finished Bone & Bread last night and really enjoyed it. http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/03/0...

In saying that, i can't really say which of the 3 books (including The Illegal and Birdie) that I prefer). I have enjoyed them all and wish I could meet all the authors to hear more (have met Lawrence Hill which was very interesting to hear about his writing The Illegal and the process of publishing his late sister's book).

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I am having trouble with the theme of starting over and how these books fit into that. I'm halfway through The Hero's Walk which I hope to finish today and right now I think this might be the one that fits in best. Bone & Bread is probably my favorite but I don't think it really fits the theme. The Illegal was my least favorite. (view spoiler). I loved the characters but for me the story fell flat. Minister Without Portfolio had a wonderful setting but I found the characters somewhat nebulous and hard to identify with.

message 15: by ❀ Susan (new)

The Hero's Walk and Minister Without Portfolio are my next reads.

I think I liked the Illegal more once I met the author and heard more about his writing process. I really did not like that he had made up a country!! I think I would have liked to know more about the feisty, elderly woman he befriended and what happened to her at the end but maybe this is because of my profession in healthcare.

I enjoyed Bone and Bread as well as Birdie but still am not sure I have a favourite so am hopeful that it will be more clear once I finish all 5.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "I think I liked the Illegal more once I met the author and heard more about his writing process. I really did not like that he had made up a country!! I think I would have liked to know more about the feisty, elderly woman he befriended and what happened to her at the end but maybe this is because of my profession in healthcare..."

It certainly adds another aspect to a book when we meet the author. Yes, the fictional countries did not work for me, nor the names Freedom State (United States?) and Africtown (Cape Town?)

I did love the characters and wished he had explored and expanded more with them. It seemed more plot driven, and not a great plot at that.

message 17: by ❀ Susan (new)

Totally agree - got tired of waiting for my library e-books and just came back with The Hero's Walk and Minister Without Portfolio.

I had not connected Michael Winter to his sister Kathleen Winter until reading about him on CBC books. I also love that he writes wearing a too small, value village vest!!

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "I had not connected Michael Winter to his sister Kathleen Winter until reading about him on CBC books. I also love that he writes wearing a too small, value village vest!! ..."

It was news to me too, and he does sound like an interesting character. He came to the Hudson Storyfest a couple years ago and I didn't attend because I didn't know who he was. Darnit. I did see Kathleen Winter last fall though and she was wonderful.

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

Perhaps there will be opportunities in the future. I wish that I had tried to get tickets to be in the audience at the Toronto Reference Library... maybe next year!

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Lawrence Hill and Clara Hughes are in conversation tonight in Hamilton:

http://niagaraanglican.ca/events/in-c...

message 21: by ❀ Susan (new)

I wish I could go to this as I think both will be interesting speakers!

message 22: by ❀ Susan (new)

Finished Minister Without Portfolio and once I got into it and used to the lack of quotations, really enjoyed it. I think it is one that I would get more from if I read it again to understand all the nuances. It does make me want to visit NFLD. One more #CanadaReads book to finish and then to hear the debates!

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

Just finished The Hero's Walk - enjoyed it but it was not a book that i had difficulty putting down. I wish that Sripathi had "started over" a bit sooner in the book.

message 24: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "Just finished The Hero's Walk - enjoyed it but it was not a book that i had difficulty putting down. I wish that Sripathi had "started over" a bit sooner in the book."

And I found his starting over was too abrupt. He went from one extreme to the other. The change should be more difficult.

message 25: by ❀ Susan (new)

Was anyone disappointed with today's result on Canada Reads? I really liked this one and how the main character tried to improve not only his life but those around him. Now that this book is out of the running, i am hoping for Birdie even though I enjoyed all 5.

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "Was anyone disappointed with today's result on Canada Reads? I really liked this one and how the main character tried to improve not only his life but those around him. Now that this book is out of..."

It was my least favorite book so happy to see it gone. I think The Illegal should go next.

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Which book got kicked off? I can't find the results anywhere?

message 28: by ❀ Susan (new)

yesterday was Minister Without Portfolio and today was Bone and Bread.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I'm surprised Bone and Bread went so soon!

message 30: by ❀ Susan (new)

And Birdie - i actually thought that this would be the overall winner. i can't say that the remaining 2 were my favourites...

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I will gouge my eyes out if The Illegal wins, and if it does I think it's because they are voting for Clara, not the actual book. It's just such an ordinary book. But then again I found all the selections this year to be a bit lackluster.

message 32: by ❀ Susan (new)

I guess that there will be no more reading for you Louise - without an eyes that is!! I think Clara did a wonderful job defending the book and have to admit this was not the book that i though would win - although it is likely the easiest read so may appeal to a broader audience.

I LOVE that Bruce Poon Tip is donating 10000 Birdies!!! i hope that schools in my community take advantage of this wonderful donation as this book should be read by all Canadians!!!

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I think The Illegal won because everyone loves Clara Hughes. It is such an ordinary book. It was a good week of debates and today's show made me shed a tear a couple of times and I don't cry easy. Bruce Poon Tip is a total class act! That is amazing what he did.

message 34: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments It has been a few months since the wrap-up of Canada Reads. This is an event that I LOVE and wait anxiously for every year.

I just took a moment to look at the website (okay, hoping to find some update about next year's debates, even though I am WAY early) and took a little trip down memory lane. You know, Birdie is the book that's sticking with me. It was a really tough read for me on so many levels. But wow -- it impacted me and I won't easily forget it. I'm glad I read the the others, but none of them sank themselves so deeply into my grey matter!

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments I agree, Allison. Bone & Bread ended up being my favourite read of the bunch but Birdie has stuck with me. I wish it had won.

message 36: by Rainey (last edited Jul 21, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Rainey | 639 comments I LOVE LOVE LOVE Canada Reads. I had a mug made to celebrate.

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments I saw that picture before, Rainey! So cool! You should make a bunch next year and sell them to us all... hint, hint... :)

message 38: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments LOL - okay got it

message 39: by ❀ Susan (new)

I really liked the Minister without portfolio but think Birdie should have been the winner!

@Rainey - i could not open your picture but that sounds like a cool idea.

I can't wait until the next Canada Reads either!!

message 40: by Rainey (last edited Jul 21, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Rainey | 639 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I really liked the Minister without portfolio but think Birdie should have been the winner!

@Rainey - i could not open your picture but that sounds like a cool idea.

Try now. I changed my account settings

message 41: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Rainey - very cool!!

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 5 comments I'm always ridiculously excited about Canada Reads. My favourite from last year was Bone & Bread. I thought the panel was quite strong as well and also Jill Deacon did a great job of moderating. I try and read all the books before it airs, but have wondered about not reading any and just listening to the debates and choosing from that. What do other people try and do?

message 43: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments My goal is too read them before the debates. It Didn't work out this time. Due to a busy work schedule I only managed to finish one, Bread and Bone which I thought was okay. I am almost through Birdie which I am really enjoying.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments This was the first year I tried to read all of them, except that I couldn't get my hands on a copy of Bone & Bread until after the debates were over. I was still reading The Hero's Walk during the week of the debates. Overall, I thought it made it more fun to have read most of the books in advance.

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments I definitely read all the books before the debates and can't imagine holding off til later! :)

I also start scouring the CBC books site in about October looking for dates and hints. This year everything was released so late!

message 46: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I also read all the books before the debates. I do wish we'd have more lead time though.

message 47: by ❀ Susan (new)

I read them all before the debates and really enjoyed listening to them! In past years, I had the approach of listening and then choosing what to read and think I missed out on a lot of the meaning behind the discussions.

message 48: by Allison (last edited Oct 31, 2016 07:38AM) (new)

Allison | 1905 comments This from the Canada Reads website:
"The ten books on the longlist for Canada Reads will be announced in late December, 2016. We'll announce the Canada Reads panel and the books they're championing in mid-January, 2017."

Still two months til the longlist is announced!!

http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/i...

ALSO -- on their Facebook page there's a poll to choose the next theme. I'm not on Facebook, so can't participate, but I'm sure many of you can!

message 49: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 26 comments http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/10/canad...

here's the poll - not just facebook!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments Wow, so many options. I went with "reveal Canada's diverse voices."

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.