What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Government is inefficient by design

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. (new)

B. (bsalmons) | 7 comments I saw the author talking about the book on C-Span several years ago, probably Book TV. All i remember is the author making the point that government is not supposed to be inefficient, he may have used words like "it is not supposed to be easy to get things done in government". I think the author is a conservative. That is all I know. Thanks

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37538 comments Mod
Just a stab, The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing America and How to Get It Back on Track? The authors are exactly the type to appear on Cspan, but I haven't read the book.

Was the author saying it was good, or bad, that government is inefficient by design? Who designed it to be that way, conservatives or liberals?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Why Government Fails So Often: And How It Can Do Better? Author discussed book on Book TV in March 2014.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Devouring Freedom: Can Big Government Ever Be Stopped? Author discussed book in April 2013.

message 5: by B. (new)

B. (bsalmons) | 7 comments wow, thanks! I'll have to watch the cspan broadcasts again to know if any of these are it. I think the author was speaking of inefficiency as a good thing, i.e. that is what separation of powers is supposed to accomplish, but I am not sure.

message 6: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments http://www.regnery.com/

Regnery Publishing Inc. publishes conservative books, you might find your book there.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments A government that is big enough to give you
all you want is big enough to take it all away.
-- Barry Goldwater

When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship.
-- Harry S Truman

The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy
is its inefficiency. An efficient bureaucracy is
the greatest threat to liberty.
-- Eugene McCarthy

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

B., are you still looking for this or did you find it?