The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.9 - Moderator's Pet: Seakbee's Task: Give Yourself Permission…

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 12, 2016 03:01PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17413 comments Mod
20.9 - Moderator's Pet: Seakbee's Task: Give Yourself Permission…

It’s kind of a mixed bag, but these are things in my reading life and my personal life that I think about often.

Choose one of the following options that fit into your reading or personal life and read ONE book. Indicate the option when you post.

1) Genres: One of my favorite genres is biography and/or autobiography. Read a book that lists the genre Biography or Autobiography on the main page.

2) Big Books: I really like to dig deeper into books, so for this task, kick back and Read a book that is at least 500 pages.

*NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition. See the rules for the complete method.

3) Re-reads: I never allow myself the opportunity to re-read a book. For this task, I give you permission to re-read any book you enjoyed several years ago.
Optional:Let us know if you enjoyed it as much the second time around.

4) Travel and entertainment: My family likes to go to Disney properties, but we live more than 1,000 miles away from the closest park. For this task, put on your Mickey ears and read a book where at least 50% of the story takes place in: California, Florida, France, Japan, Hong Kong, Hawaii or on a cruiseship.
REQUIRED: indicate where the story takes place if it is not obvious in the book's description of metadata.

5) Sports: Both of my daughters played basketball from the age of 10 until their senior year in high school. As this final season comes to an end and with a top 5 finish in the state as well as being among the top 100 teams in the country, I would like to honor their athletics efforts.
Read a book with a character that is a competitive female athlete (general exercise like going to the gym or going for a jog does not count as being a competitive athlete).
REQUIRED: indicate the sport that the athlete participated in if it is not obvious in the book's description.

6) Pets: I have two dogs, one is black, one is white. Read a book with the complete TITLE in white OR in black on the cover. Outlines and drop shadows in a secondary color are not allowed. Subtitles may be ignored.
Ex. white title What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi
black title Perfect Days by Raphael Montes
REQUIRED: include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Seakbee (last edited Mar 15, 2016 02:55PM) (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Approved:

Option 1 - Biography/Autobiography:
Out of Orange: A Memoir

Option 4 - Travel and Entertainment:
Pretty Good Number One: An American Family Eats Tokyo

Option 5 - Sports:
Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks

Option 6 - Pets:
White title:
Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2) by Andrea Cremer To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1) by Deborah Crombie

Black title:
The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb Somehow I Am Different Narratives of Searching and Belonging in Jewish Budapest by Alyssa Petersel Wild Fell by Michael Rowe

message 3: by Seakbee (last edited Mar 14, 2016 08:11AM) (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Not approved:

Option 6
White title-
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee (soft yellow or beige)
Driving Heat (Nikki Heat, #7) by Richard Castle The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan (drop shadow)

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17413 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Rose (biancarose) | 249 comments I have a book in mind. The title is white but the authors name is in yellow. Would this be suitable?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7517 comments nice task!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7517 comments Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks - for female athelete?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments For option 6 The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery , white title

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments For option 6, white title. Thanks!

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

message 10: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments For Option 6, black title (but author in white)

The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn

message 11: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Bianca wrote: "I have a book in mind. The title is white but the authors name is in yellow. Would this be suitable?"

As long as the title is in black or white, you are good to go.

message 12: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For option 6 The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery, white title"

That works.

message 13: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Dee wrote: "Pride, Prejudice, and Curling Rocks - for female athelete?"

Yes, curling as a sport works!

message 14: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Maya wrote: "For option 6, white title. Thanks!

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf"

Approved, looks white to me.

message 15: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 6, black title (but author in white)

The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn"

Yes, that works,

message 16: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Dee wrote: "nice task!"

Thanks. Have fun!

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 905 comments Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been saying for ages that I've got to re-read American Gods.

message 18: by Ana (new)

Ana | 331 comments Would this be considered a white title? Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2) by Andrea Cremer Blood is dripping off of one of the letters.

message 19: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Ana wrote: "Would this be considered a white title?Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2) by Andrea Cremer Blood is dripping off of one of the letters."

I will accept this since the blood drips off the letter and doesn't interfere with the letter in any way.

message 20: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Chris wrote: "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been saying for ages that I've got to re-read American Gods."

You are welcome. I think I'll do a re-read too!

message 21: by Trish (last edited Mar 08, 2016 12:04AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Would this work for Option 6?
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

message 22: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Trish wrote: "Would this work for Option 6?
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee"

It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like there is color printed in the letters, giving it a soft yellow or beige cast. So, this would not work.

message 23: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Pretty Good Number One: An American Family Eats Tokyo - does this work for option 4 (takes place in Japan, but is non-fiction)?

message 24: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments mstan wrote: "Pretty Good Number One: An American Family Eats Tokyo - does this work for option 4 (takes place in Japan, but is non-fiction)?"

Yes, non-fiction is fine. Enjoy!

message 25: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Seakbee wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work for Option 6?
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee"

It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like there is color printed in the letters, giving it a soft yellow or ..."

Probably just as well I checked :-)

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Please confirm Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb for option 6.

message 27: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb for option 6."

Can you tell if there is a white outline around the black text? It's too hard for me to tell. I see a slight halo-effect, which makes me think that it's not solid black.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Could I have this one approved for option 1 please, just in case the genres start dropping off?

message 29: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Could I have this one approved for option 1 please, just in case the genres start dropping off?

Approved. I started watching this Netflix series a few weeks ago. I'm wondering how the book compares!

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Seakbee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb for option 6."

Can you tell if there is a white outline around the black text? It's too hard for me to tell. I see a slight halo-ef..."

I have the physical book and there is no white border, but I can pick something else if necessary. Just let me know.

message 31: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Okay, another attempt for Option 6:
Driving Heat (Nikki Heat, #7) by Richard Castle

message 32: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Trish wrote: "Okay, another attempt for Option 6:
Driving Heat (Nikki Heat, #7) by Richard Castle"

Unfortunately on this one I can definitely see the black drop shadow. Designers use this to help the text pop on the background.
Here's an example with a drop shadow: A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay
Here's an example that works with just white (no outline, no drop shadow): Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

message 33: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Lauren wrote: "Seakbee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb for option 6."

Can you tell if there is a white outline around the black text? It's too hard for me to tell. I see ..."

I didn't see your note here. If you have the book and it doesn't have a white outline, you are good to go! I just couldn't tell with this one.

message 34: by Trish (last edited Mar 10, 2016 01:36AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Seakbee wrote: "Trish wrote: "Okay, another attempt for Option 6:
Driving Heat (Nikki Heat, #7) by Richard Castle"

Unfortunately on this one I can definitely see the black drop shadow. Designers use this to help the text pop o..."

I know what a drop shadow is, but this one was black, which seemed to fit the black or white specification. Perhaps it would be worth clarifying in your task description "no outlines or drop shadows, even if they're black or white and the title itself is white or black"?

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Seakbee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Seakbee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb for option 6."

Can you tell if there is a white outline around the black text? It's too hard for me ..."

Thanks.

message 36: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments Does this work for option 6?

Somehow I Am Different Narratives of Searching and Belonging in Jewish Budapest by Alyssa Petersel To me the title looks like it is written all in black.

Thanks!

message 37: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Cindie wrote: "Does this work for option 6?

Somehow I Am Different Narratives of Searching and Belonging in Jewish Budapest by Alyssa Petersel To me the title looks like it is written all in black.

Thanks!"

Yes, that works.

message 38: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments Seakbee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Does this work for option 6?

Somehow I Am Different Narratives of Searching and Belonging in Jewish Budapest by Alyssa Petersel To me the title looks like it is written all in bl..."

thanks!

message 39: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments I can't tell if there are shadows here that make it unusable or not. Could you let me know if this one will work?

Thank you!

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan

message 40: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Cait wrote: "I can't tell if there are shadows here that make it unusable or not. Could you let me know if this one will work?

Thank you!

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan"

Sorry for the delay, I had no power due to a major wind storm.
There is definitely a drop shadow, so this title won't work.

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Hey there. Can I get this approved for option 6? A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1) by Deborah Crombie The title is all in white but it has two little red lines under "in". Is this cool by you?

message 42: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Cindy wrote: "Hey there. Can I get this approved for option 6? A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1) by Deborah Crombie The title is all in white but it has two little red lines under "in". Is this cool by you?"

Yes, this is good because the red lines do not cover up the type for the title.

message 43: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments sweet. thank you!

message 44: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Will this work as a black title?

Wild Fell by Michael Rowe

message 45: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Fandury wrote: "Will this work as a black title?

Wild Fell by Michael Rowe"

That works!

message 46: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Please confirm Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter: A Biography of Princess Louise for Biography. I know it looks solid now, but I've already had one book look out just before I posted it.

message 47: by Seakbee (new)

Seakbee | 196 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Please confirm Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter: A Biography of Princess Louise for Biography. I know it looks solid now, but I've already had one book look out just before I po..."

Approved.

message 48: by Sharice (new)

Sharice George | 51 comments Does this book qualify as all that is in red is the subtitle or does the author's name also need to be in white rather than grey?

Public Relations Disasters Talespin--Inside Stories and Lessons Learnt by Gerry McCusker

message 49: by Paige (last edited Apr 15, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Paige (paigeawesome) | 39 comments Will this work for option 6 - black title?
Acceptance (Southern Reach, #3) by Jeff VanderMeer

message 50: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3613 comments For option 4 - Travel & Entertainment.
The lead character - FBI agent Romilia Chacon is based in Los Angeles, and the majority of the action takes place in L.A. or San Diego (about 90% of the book), with a few scenes in Tijuana Mexico.

Blood Daughters: A Romilia Chacon Novel

« previous 1