Finnegans Wake Grappa discussion

Drink a sip, drankasup, > Doubling today

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Dougherty | 3 comments This may or may not be of concern but my son was in Dublin a few months ago with his Mom. She is a bit older and was having a nervous breakdown and refused to to leave the hotel unless it was to a Dublin ER. In any case, one day to kill time he wandered the streets and ended up in a Dublin bookstore. As he reported to me later, I paraphrase, "There were all these people in a backroom going on and on about that crazy book you like by Joyce."

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 414 comments John wrote: ""There were all these people in a backroom going on and on about that crazy book you like by Joyce.""

Such things do exist!

Have you heard of the film, The Joycean Society?
http://www.vdrome.org/garcia.html

message 3: by John (new)

John Dougherty | 3 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "John wrote: ""There were all these people in a backroom going on and on about that crazy book you like by Joyce.""

Such things do exist!

Have you heard of the film, The Joycean Society?
http://w..."

Thank you for this tip. What Fritz Senn speculated about FW being a substitute for people who have not been successful in life resonates with me. I was telling someone the other day, that this writer called James but known to friends & family as Jim, his everyday acquaintances, when you recuse the scholars, and patrons (may the Loud Almighty bless them!), were waiters, busboys, concierges, middle-class Europeans signed up at Berlitz to learn English, etc. When life has me down and I'm feeling like a failure, inevitably, I dip into the Wake for some solace. I can't explain it, but after decades of reading, well, everything I could get my hands on about anything, a few dozen pages of the nonday diary reminds me life can be funferall (sorry, I could not resist).

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 54 comments I started watching this earlier today after seeing NR's link, somehow I can find the video anymore, what gives?

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 414 comments Joshua wrote: "I started watching this earlier today after seeing NR's link, somehow I can find the video anymore, what gives?"

I still haven't seen the whole thing made available. So if you find it again, let us know.

message 6: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 54 comments I watched about 5 minutes of it this morning - the group was discussing a book that compiled various ways of determining whether a person/body was dead before burying it. Apparently one of the methods involved blowing tobacco smoke where one oughtn't blow smoke.

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 54 comments I was able to watch the video here:

http://www.vdrome.org/the_joycean_dor...

message 8: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala | 45 comments Aha! I watched five minutes just now and had half a Beckett moment: I can't go on..
These people, (forgive me, people), but really, I can't take listening to them - except perhaps the guy with the really guttural accent who talks about stimulating the roots.

message 10: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 54 comments No dance necessary!