Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - It's a D8te (8)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 243 (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Apr 07, 2016 10:51PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Team members

Team Captain: Katie

Members:
Sunshine
Shannon (pokey)
Armi Krista
Logan Wax
Linda C

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Definitely let your team members know where you are from. This is a 'nice to know' when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. You already have your Team Captain. The team captain will track the books read by the team and double-check that your book selection complies with the rules - eg make sure that the selection and completion posts are as per the formatting and information requested below (msg 3).

The Team Captain should reserve a couple of posts in this thread to track their team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert one of their chat comments to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. This is not mandatory, but it is fun. Given we are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 9 March.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* please don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A/Announcement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week Option 2 has altered and I will be allocating each team another team from which their book selection must be chosen :)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

For the initial selection post Option 1 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list. ~ If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

For the initial selection post Option 2 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

For the completion post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

A summary chart will be posted in the last week to let teams know their progress against other teams :)

message 5: by Katie (last edited May 20, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Tracking

Week 1: Widower/Widow

Katie - Wicked Intentions - 3/15
Sunshine - The Dom Who Loved Me, 3/25
Shannon - Engaged To Win - 3/14
Krista - Until Lilly - 3/15
Logan - Cold-Hearted Rake - 4/1
Linda - A Taste Of Heaven - 3/14

Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt The Dom Who Loved Me (Masters and Mercenaries, #1) by Lexi Blake Engaged To Win by Aubrey Cullens Until Lilly (Until, #3) by Aurora Rose Reynolds Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1) by Lisa Kleypas A Taste Of Heaven by Alexis Harrington

Week 2: MC is vet or works with animals

Katie - Rescue My Heart, 3/24
Sunshine - Blind Faith, 3/25
Shannon - Heart Song, 3/20
Krista - The Vixen and the Vet, 3/22
Linda - Changeling Moon, 3/26

Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3) by Jill Shalvis Blind Faith (Blind Faith, #1) by N.R. Walker Heart Song (True Blood Mate, #1) by Stormy Glenn The Vixen and the Vet by Katy Regnery Changeling Moon (Changeling, #1) by Dani Harper

Week 3: Military/Ex-Military

Katie - Rumor Has It, 3/27
Sunshine - Sticks & Stones, 4/1
Shannon - Between Ghosts, 3/30
Krista - A Lover's Lament, 4/1
Linda - The Night Is Mine, 3/31

Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4) by Jill Shalvis Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2) by Madeleine Urban Between Ghosts by Garrett Leigh A Lover's Lament by K.L. Grayson The Night Is Mine (The Night Stalkers, #1) by M.L. Buchman

Week 4: Wit/Witty Dialogue

Katie - Soulless, 4/4
Sunshine - The Hooker and the Hermit, 4/14
Shannon - Max and Finn, 4/5
Krista - Lingus, 4/5
Linda - Changeless, 4/5
Wax - Mummy Dearest, 4/9

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger The Hooker and the Hermit (Rugby, #1) by L.H. Cosway Max and Finn (Men of Smithfield #2) by L.B. Gregg Lingus by Mariana Zapata Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Mummy Dearest (The XOXO Files, #1) by Josh Lanyon

Week 5: Author Initials

Katie - Irresistibly Yours, 4/12
Sunshine - Fastball, 4/17
Shannon - Face Value, 4/9
Krista - Nuts, 4/14
Linda - In Want of a Wife, 4/17
Wax - Against the Grain, 4/12

Irresistibly Yours (Oxford, #1) by Lauren Layne Fastball (Philadelphia Patriots, #1) by V.K. Sykes Face Value (Sanctuary, #3) by R.J. Scott Nuts (Hudson Valley, #1) by Alice Clayton In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3) by Jo Goodman Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5) by Charlie Cochet

Week 6: Set Outside US

Katie - The Bite That Binds, 4/17
Sunshine - Unfixable, 4/29
Shannon - Russian Prey, 4/22
Krista - God's Eye, 4/22
Linda - Heartless, 4/23
Wax - Safe in His Arms, 4/17

The Bite That Binds (Deep In Your Veins, #2) by Suzanne Wright Unfixable by Tessa Bailey Russian Prey (Assassin/Shifter, #8) by Sandrine Gasq-Dion God's Eye (Northwomen Sagas, #1) by Susan Fanetti Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Safe in His Arms (Safe, #1) by Renae Kaye

Week 7: Enemies to Lovers

Katie - Throne of Glass, 5/1
Sunshine - Perfection, 5/4
Shannon - Into the Lyons Den, 4/27
Krista - Perfection, 4/28
Linda - Practice Makes Perfect, 5/4
Wax - Let It Snow, 4/24

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Into the Lyons Den (Assassin/Shifter, #16) by Sandrine Gasq-Dion Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James Let It Snow (Minnesota Christmas, #1) by Heidi Cullinan

Week 8: One Word Title

Katie - Changeless, 5/6
Sunshine - Suit, 5/8
Shannon - Forbidden, 5/3
Krista - Dirty, 5/6
Linda - Timeless, 5/9
Wax - Timing, 5/4

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Suit (The Twin Duo, #1) by Jettie Woodruff Forbidden (Assassin/Shifter, #21) by Sandrine Gasq-Dion Dirty (Dive Bar, #1) by Kylie Scott Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger Timing (Timing, #1) by Mary Calmes

Week 9: Title B

Katie - Baking Bree, 5/15
Sunshine - Blood-Bonded, 5/10
Shannon - Bait, 5/7
Krista - Back-Up, 5/13
Linda - Blink of an Eye, 5/12
Wax - Blind Faith, 5/7

Baking Bree by Sarah West Blood-Bonded (Scarlet Heat part 1) by Evangeline Anderson Bait (Bait & Switch, #1) by Lissa Ford Back-Up (Back-Up, #1) by A.M. Madden Blink of an Eye by Rexanne Becnel Blind Faith (Blind Faith, #1) by N.R. Walker

Week 10: First Published Between Feb. 2015/To Date

Katie - Mister O, 5/20
Sunshine - Dirty Bad Wrong, 5/19
Shannon - Imperfect Harmony, 5/15
Krista - The Liar, 5/18
Linda - Blueprints, 5/19
Wax - Wedding Favors, 5/17

Mister O by Lauren Blakely Dirty Bad Wrong (Dirty Bad, #1) by Jade West Imperfect Harmony by Jay Northcote The Liar by Nora Roberts Blueprints by Barbara Delinsky Wedding Favors (Bluewater Bay, #7) by Anne Tenino

Week 11: Holiday Romance

Katie - The Movie Star's Red Hot Holiday Fling
Sunshine
Shannon - The Boy Who Came In From the Cold
Krista
Linda - Sugarplum Surprises
Wax

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments *

message 7: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 401 comments Hello, I am Linda C. I live in upstate NY near Rochester. I have an enormous TBR pile and hope this will get some of them read, I like all kinds of romance except vampire, just can't accept them as heroes. I am currently in Puerto Rico and then on a cruise but that shouldn't be a problem. Will check in every day.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Hi guys! I'm Shannon and currently very, very jealous of Linda C.! I'm in Oregon and only read M/M romance. Thanks for being captain Katie!!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Hey everyone! I think I already know most of you. For those of you I don't, I'm Katie. I'm living in Pittsburgh PA...land of black and gold. I love all kinds of romance. I was on a HUGE m/m kick for awhile, but recently started exploring m/f again. I'm looking forward to starting this challenge!

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Do we want to name our team or are we good with the nondescript Team 8?

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments We could just go easy (since we can't go dirty) like Crazy 8's or Eight Days a Week or It's a D8te or K8tie's Krew or Romance R8ters or W8t for It...that's all my cleverness used up at once! :/

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Oooh - some good ones in your short burst of concentration there Shannon!!!

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Lol! That was a productive spurt of creativity, Shannon! Any of those work for me. What do the rest of you think?

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments And now it's all gone...tried to be funny with the kids and they just rolled their eyes and walked away! How RUDE!! lol

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Shannon wrote: "And now it's all gone...tried to be funny with the kids and they just rolled their eyes and walked away! How RUDE!! lol"

Sounds familiar... ;)

message 16: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Hi team - Armi has had to pull out, but we have Krista keen to join in ~I just need her confirmation of commitment to the challenge :) Please make her welcome; she's a newbie to the challenge.

message 17: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Hi everyone! I am excited for this challenge - it's my favorite game! I live in Chicago, so Central time. I read a little of everything, but mostly PNR and UF.

message 18: by Krista (new)

Krista Hendrix | 93 comments Hey all! So excited to be doing this. Looking forward to finding some new things to read.

message 19: by Krista (new)

Krista Hendrix | 93 comments P.S. LOVE Shannon's suggestions, especially It's a D8te.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Hey Krista! So glad you're joining us. :)

message 21: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments I loved It's a D8te too!

Welcome Krista!!

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Welcome Krista, you'll have fun, I promise! :)

I like "It's a D8te" too...I would hope so anyways seeing as I put it down there. :P

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments That's most of us for It's a D8te, so I'll let Jane know. :)

message 24: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Hi everyone...

Checkin' in. I live in the Chicago area, too. I'm a challenge junkie, so I' looking forward to start this one. PtP is always a favorite of mine.

We got a team name. Love it!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2290 comments You can all laugh but it took me several attempts to decide what your name was.

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Lisa wrote: "You can all laugh but it took me several attempts to decide what your name was."

Reeeally, tell us what you thought it was? lol

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2290 comments I dont text so I dont use shorthand.
I kept reading it as d- eight-te and then realized it wasnt a word.

message 28: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Gr8

LOL ;)

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments lol

message 30: by Krista (new)

Krista Hendrix | 93 comments HA! That is so funny. I don't get a lot of text lingo. You made my whole day with that tidbit.

message 31: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 401 comments At sea day on the cruise. bought an unlimited internet package so I can stop having to watch the minutes.
Love the team name! I admire people that are so creative, what a burst of talent.

message 32: by Katie (last edited Mar 09, 2016 04:29PM) (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Here we go!

Week 1: Widower/Widow

Don't forget to post in the formats specified in Msg. 3. :)

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Week 1, Option 1
Wicked Intentions
382 pages
#5 - Historical Widows

message 34: by Shannon (last edited Mar 09, 2016 10:10PM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Week 1
Option 1: Widow/Widower
Engaged To Win by Aubrey Cullens
Pages: 165
Qualifies: First line of precis "Are Rainbow Wedding Bells In The Air For Washington’s Widowed Congressman?"

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments If I'm reading the rules correctly, my book would work even though it's not on the list, yes?

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Shannon wrote: "If I'm reading the rules correctly, my book would work even though it's not on the list, yes?"

Yes. It's clearly stated in the precis :D

message 37: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments ...You could add it to the list if you were feeling generous...

message 38: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "...You could add it to the list if you were feeling generous..."

I guess I could, oh woe is me, work, work, work. :)

message 39: by Krista (new)

Krista Hendrix | 93 comments Week 1 selection post
Until Lilly (Until, #3) by Aurora Rose Reynolds
258 pages
#6 onSingle Fathers of Romance

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20448 comments Shannon wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "...You could add it to the list if you were feeling generous..."

I guess I could, oh woe is me, work, work, work. :)"

LOL!!

message 41: by Linda C (last edited Mar 11, 2016 05:52AM) (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 401 comments Week 1
#78 on Historical Widows
A Taste Of Heaven by Alexis Harrington
A Taste Of Heaven - Alexis Harrington
352 pgs

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Hey Linda -- Don't forget to post the page #'s, too. :)

message 43: by Sunshine (last edited Mar 10, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Week 1: Option 1

Best Widow Romance: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... #68
The Dom Who Loved Me by Lexi Blake
The Dom Who Loved Me (Masters and Mercenaries, #1) by Lexi Blake
Pages: 373

message 44: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 401 comments Week 1
#78 on Historical Widows
A Taste Of Heaven by Alexis Harrington A Taste Of Heaven - Alexis Harrington
352 pgs
4 stars
Review: Homeless and jobless in 1887 Chicago, Libby Garrison answered a mail-order bride advertisement and ended up in Montana marrying and then nursing an old man through his last days and a devastating winter. Again penniless and jobless Libby hears about a ranch needing a cook. Since this was her job in Chicago she takes it. But the ranch owner, Tyler Hollins objects to a woman cook. After this rocky start and then through a rough trail drive, Libby and Tyler are drawn together but have past issues that need resolving. I especially liked the description of the trail drive and the secondary characters. Good job.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Week 1 Completion Post
Pages: 165
Read: 3/14/16
Rating: ★★★

This book was filled with miscommunication and past hurt feelings. Dillon and Matt were secret lovers in college and we enter 15 years later after Dillon has lost his wife and his running for his second term in Congress. The times have changed a whole lot since then and now he's ready to be out and proud but only with Matt. A chance meeting and a second chance in born. There were quite a few times where the book skipped ahead a few weeks or months and I feel like we missed most of their relationship. I was entertained but didn't have any 'feels' for the couple.

message 46: by Logan (last edited Mar 15, 2016 06:41AM) (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Week 1: Widow/widower

Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
Pages: 416
How it fits: Heroine is widow in the précis

message 47: by Krista (new)

Krista Hendrix | 93 comments Week 1 completion post
Option 1: Widow/widower
Until Lilly (Until, #3) by Aurora Rose Reynolds
#6 on Single Fathers of Romance

4.5 stars. This was a great second chance romance. The characters were together briefly years ago but, got torn apart by unfortunate circumstances. They run into each other again (with their kids) and have to move past hurt feelings and mistrust to start over. I like this author so, this was an easy read for me. The characters (including the cute kiddos) were fun to read.

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments Week 1: Widow/Widower
Wicked Intentions
3 stars

I found this book to be pretty enjoyable. It was an interesting, though unbelievable story, but it's a historical romance so... Though I wish the story felt more complete, I still liked it and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 49: by Krista (new)

Krista Hendrix | 93 comments Week 2 Selection Post

The Vixen and the Vet by Katy Regnery by Katy Regnery
295 pages
#13 oncreatures great and small, vets in romance

message 50: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1756 comments Week 2

Heart Song (True Blood Mate #1) by Stormy Glenn
Heart Song by Stormy Glenn
Pages: 176
Qualifies: #8 on Gay Veterinarians

« previous 1 3 4 5