Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Seventh Heaven (7)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 213 (213 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:06PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments Team members

Team Captain: Lisa

Members:
Krissy
Mariana
Sherri
Delitealex
Roger

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Definitely let your team members know where you are from. This is a 'nice to know' when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. You already have your Team Captain. The team captain will track the books read by the team and double-check that your book selection complies with the rules - eg make sure that the selection and completion posts are as per the formatting and information requested below (msg 3).

The Team Captain should reserve a couple of posts in this thread to track their team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert one of their chat comments to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. This is not mandatory, but it is fun. Given we are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 9 March.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* please don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A/Announcement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week Option 2 has altered and I will be allocating each team another team from which their book selection must be chosen :)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

For the initial selection post Option 1 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list. ~ If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

For the initial selection post Option 2 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

For the completion post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

A summary chart will be posted in the last week to let teams know their progress against other teams :)

message 5: by Lisa (last edited May 06, 2016 10:24AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Week 1. Widow / widower. Completed
✓ Lisa (Watch Me) Break You. Option 2 (Krissy)
✓ Krissy Unearthing Cole. Option 1
✓ Mariana Magic Bites. Option 2 (Krissy)
✓ Sherri Cold-Hearted Rake. Option 1
✓ Delitealex The Widow's Protector. Option 1
✓ Roger A Dance with Domination. Option 1

Week 2. Works with animals. Completed
✓ Lisa Vet Found. Option 1
✓ Krissy Never a Hero. Option 1
✓ Mariana Hope Flames
✓ Sherri Only Yours. Option 1
✓ Delitealex Written in Red. Option 2 (Sherri)
✓ Roger Blind Faith. Option 1

Week 3. MC is in the military or is ex military. Completed
✓ Lisa Catch a Ghost. Option 1
✓ Krissy War Torn. Option 1
✓ Mariana The Vixen and the Vet. Option 1
✓ Delitealex Dead Shot. Option 1
✓ Sherri Midnight Rescue. Option 1
✓ Roger Latakia. Option 1

Week 4. Witty dialogue. Completed
✓ Lisa Kick Start. Option 1
✓ Krissy Max and Finn. Option 1
✓ Mariana Me Before You. Option 1
✓ Delitealex The Allure of Julian Lefray. Option 1
✓ Sherri Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs. Option 1
✓ Roger Fair Play. Option 1

Week 5. Author's first and last name start with the same letter. Completed
✓ Lisa How to Walk Like a Man. Option 1
✓ Krissy Status Update. Option 1
✓ Mariana How to Howl at the Moon. Option 1
✓ Delitealex Gifted. Option 1
✓ Sherri The Drafter. Option 1
✓ Roger How to Walk Like a Man. Option 1

Week 6. Set outside the USA. Completed
✓ Lisa Lovers Leap. Option 1
✓ Krissy Lovers Leap. Option 1
✓ Mariana Blood Magick. Option 1
✓ Delitealex Dominic. Option 1
✓ Sherri Because of Miss Bridgerton. Option 1
✓ Roger Accompanied by a Waltz. Option 1

message 6: by Lisa (last edited May 21, 2016 01:50AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Week 7. Enemies to Lovers. Completed
✓ Lisa Shane and Trey. Option 1
✓ Krissy Bound By Nature. Option 1
✓ Mariana Dance With Me. Option 1
✓ Delitealex Perfect Chemistry. Option 1
✓ Sherri Shadowdance. Option 1
✓ Roger Counterpoint. Option 1

Week 8. Book with a one word title. Completed
✓ Lisa Absolution. Option 1
✓ Krissy Pinned. Option 1
✓ Mariana First and First Option 2 . Read by Roger and Lisa, first book in series.
✓ Delitealex Grimspace. Option 1
✓ Sherri Jabril. Option 1
✓ Roger Blindside. Option 1

Week 9. Title Starts With the Letter B
✓ Lisa Ben Raphael's All-Star Virgins. Option 1
✓ Krissy Beyond the Surface. Option 1
✓ Mariana The Baller: A Down and Dirty Football Novel. Option 1
✓ Delitealex Bite Me. Option 1
Sherri Between the Devil and Ian Eversea. Option 1
✓ Roger The Assassin's Pet. Option 2 ( Lisa's shelf)

Week 10. Read a book published between Feb 15 and today. Completed
✓ Lisa Power Play Option 1
✓ Krissy Rebel Hell Option 1
✓ Mariana Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. Option 1
✓ Delitealex The Allure of Dean Harper. Option 1
✓ Sherri Marked in Flesh. Option 1
✓ Roger Training Complex Option 1

Week 11. Holiday Romance
✓ Lisa If Only in My Dreams. Option 1
✓ Krissy Cold Feet. Option 1
✓ Mariana Blame It on the Mistletoe. Option 1
Delitealex Cowboys for Christmas. Option 1
Sherri A Fool's Gold Christmas. Option 1
✓ Roger Lost and Found. Option 1

message 7: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments Hey team checking in

message 8: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 781 comments Checking in :) You can't seem to get rid of me, Lisa! Lol

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Time to think of a name for the team.

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments Hi. My name is Mariana and I'm 25 years old. I'm from Romania and I am a doctor. I love reading all kinds of books and I am very excited to meet new people and discover new books.

message 11: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Mar 05, 2016 07:49AM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments Oh good I have at least a couple of M/M people to use if I don't like the theme picked. Lisa and Krissy I know from another group. I will send friend request to the others. I live In Milwaukee WI a gay male who read about 97% M/M. SO Central Standard time.
I am an avid reader who has been know to read 5 - 7 books a week.

Team names
Seven days a week are not enough for reading
Lucky Sevens
Seventh Heaven (when reading)

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Oh good I have at least a couple of M/M people to use if I don't like the theme picked. Lisa and Krissy I know from another group. I will send friend request to the others. I live In Milwaukee WI a..."

A couple!! You are nearly all MM readers except Sherri, which is just how the numbers fell, but I'm wondering if I need to add someone in here for Sherri's moral support!! ;) Fortunately Mariana and Delitealix also read some mf :D

message 13: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 781 comments Hi everybody! Hi, Roger!

Quick summary of myself. I'm a 34 year old SAHM with 3 kids. I'm a military wife of 14 years (together 17 years). I read just about everything. But my favorite is, of course, MM. I live in TX so I am also in the central time zone.

I like the team names Seventh Heaven and Lucky Sevens.

message 14: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments I like Lucky sevens for Team name.

message 15: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments How about Seven Bookish Heaven or Seventh Book Heaven?
I like Lucky Sevens but I think last year this was the name of the 7th team too.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Names
We have a few suggestions for a team name.
Does anybody have any more or we could just vote on those already given.

Seven Bookish Heaven
Seventh Heaven
Seven Days A Week Are Not Enough For Reading.

Lucky Sevens - I too think this was used last time around.

message 17: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments Seventh heaven sounds good

message 18: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 781 comments Seventh Heaven works for me

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments seventh heaven

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Oh good I have at least a couple of M/M people to use if I don't like the theme picked. Lisa and Krissy I know from another group. I will send friend reque..."

Just need to send a friend request to Sherri when she checks in.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Ok, 3 of you and me like Seventh Heaven so that's what Ill tell Jane we want to be called.
Ill PM Sherri and let her know which team she is on.

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments Lisa wrote: "Ok, 3 of you and me like Seventh Heaven so that's what Ill tell Jane we want to be called.
Ill PM Sherri and let her know which team she is on."

Thanks Lisa!

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments I've also sent a reminder PM :D ...Sherri is being bombarded ;)

message 24: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments I really like our name and I'm excited to start the challenge earlier.

message 25: by Mariana (last edited Mar 09, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments Theme for week 1 was announced earlier:

Option 1
18. Widower/Widow romance (stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf)
Optional lists:
Widowers: A man who loves can love again
Gay Romance Featuring a Main Character (MC) who is Widowered
Single Fathers of Romance: Great Family Men

Historical Widows
Best Widow Romance

Option 2
Key date: 4 September 2015

message 26: by Sherri (last edited Mar 09, 2016 08:09PM) (new)

Sherri | 125 comments Hi all- sorry for the late check in but work has been insane this week. After tomorrow, life will be much better. :-)

I live in Michigan which is EST, single and now old enough that I don't give my age, but say I am young at heart. I mainly read UF, paranormal and historical. So I see my bookshelves may not be the most popular. LOL!

Love the name and I'll try to quickly catch up. I did send friend requests to everyone on the team. But let me know if I missed something.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited Mar 09, 2016 10:40PM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Week1
(Watch Me) Break You 278 pages /GR
Option 2 (Krissy) Read 9/5/15. 5 stars

message 28: by Delitealex (last edited Mar 09, 2016 10:12PM) (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments Week 1 Widow/Widower
option 1

The Widow's Protector (Fitzgerald Bay, #4) by Stephanie Newton
Pages: 224
How it fits: MC is a widow stated in the precis

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments Sherri wrote: "Hi all- sorry for the late check in but work has been insane this week. After tomorrow, life will be much better. :-)

I live in Michigan which is EST, single and now old enough that I don't give m..."

Yay! Glad you made it Sherri :D

message 30: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments Remember to check what you need in your selection posts (refer msg 3).

Lisa - you need to add Krissy's date that she read that book to show that it was in the last 6 months as well as her rating (must be at least 3 stars).

Delitealex - you need to show how that book fits the theme.

message 31: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Remember to check what you need in your selection posts (refer msg 3).

Lisa - you need to add Krissy's date that she read that book to show that it was in the last 6 months as well as her rating (..."

Sorry updated :)

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19344 comments ...Still finding your sea-legs :P

message 33: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 781 comments SELECTION POST
Week #1

Option 1: Widower/Widow
My Choice: Unearthing Cole
Page #: 122
How it Qualifies: #57 on Gay Romance Featuring an MC Who is Widowered
Unearthing Cole (Discovering Me, #1) by A.M. Arthur

message 34: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 781 comments Lisa, if you don't already own (Watch Me) Break You I can loan it to you.

message 35: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments Week 1, Option 2
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Book: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Page numbers: 260 per GR
Read by Krissy , 05/10/2015, 3 stars.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Thanks Krissy. I already borrowed it from Diane.

message 37: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 125 comments SELECTION POST
Week 1

Option 1:
Widower/Widow
My Choice: Cold-Hearted Rake by Lisa Kleypas
Page #: 416 pages
How it Qualifies: #60 on Best Widow Romance
Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

message 38: by Mariana (last edited Mar 10, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments Sherri I love Lisa Kleypas, I hope you will like that book. I am waiting to be translated to read it. I like to read historical fiction/romance in my own language.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments Selection Post Week 1
Option 1:Widow/widower
MY choice: A Dance with Domination 218 pages
How it fits: # 82 on https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

message 40: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 125 comments Mariana wrote: "Sherri I love Lisa Kleypas, I hope you will like that book. I am waiting to be translated to read it. I like to read historical fiction/romance in my own language."

It has been awhile since I've read one of her books, but I'm hoping this is a good one!!

message 41: by Lisa (last edited Mar 12, 2016 01:05AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Week
(Watch Me) Break You
3 stars

I'll be honest. I had a really hard time rating this book.
I loved the story of X and Dima. The sex between them was hot. I loved how Dima went looking for X, and despite all ending up having a relationship with him.
I liked how X managed to keep that he was the head of the opposing gang right up until the scene with the 2 of them in the Brighton Beach place.

However, anybody who knows me, knows I have a huge issue with sex in MM books that isn't MM sex.

I read MM for a reason. I don't want to read about any other type of sex.
This books opens with FF oral sex in the first couple of paragraphs. I don't want to read about 2 women getting off with each other, if I did, I would read FF. There is then a scene a few pages later with MF sex.
Ill be honest the FF sex nearly made me stop reading. I put down the book and then had to make a huge effort to pick it up again for the fear that there would be more FF sex later on.
This was a moment near the end where Dima ends up in bed with Anton and Slyvie again. He explained it away and that nearly made this story a 2 star read for me.
Its a pity because its a good fast story that had it not been for non MM sex would have been a 5 star read for me.

message 42: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 781 comments COMPLETION POST
Week #1

Unearthing Cole (Discovering Me, #1) by A.M. Arthur
Unearthing Cole
My Rating: ★★★
Final Thoughts:
This was cute and quick. I enjoyed the story and build up. The ending felt very abrupt. I would have liked a little more at the end. Not sure if I'll read the next book or not.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments will finish my book tonight so far it will get high ratings for me.

message 44: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments Week #1 Completion post

The Widow's Protector (Fitzgerald Bay, #4) by Stephanie Newton
The Widow's Protector by Stephanie Newton
Read: 3/16
Rating: 4 stars

Review

Fiona Cobb is still trying to get over her husband's tragic death but incidents keep happening that bring back bad memories of that time. Hunter is Fiona's best friend and also a firefighter has to deal with all the suspicious fires being set around town. I really liked the chemistry between Fiona and Hunter and how easily they were able to deal with their friendship becoming something more. The mystery was a little predictable but I still enjoyed the action. I haven't read any of the other books in the Fitzgerald Bay series but plan to continue with the next book.

message 45: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Mar 16, 2016 04:50PM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1050 comments Week #1 Completion Post:

A Dance with Domination A Dance with Domination (Collars and Cuffs, #4) by K.C. Wells by K.C. Wells
Read 3/15/2016
Rating 5 star
Review: Andrew is a dom and a stripper with a circus background so also a contortion he moved back to England after years in the USA. Gareth is a sub and also a stripper. Gareth was cruelly turned out by his former dom when he was 21. Andrew is still getting over the loss by death of his sub and lover Brian. both of these event happened four year prior to this story and thye are just now moving on. BDSM setting and part of a series this is the fourth book and I have already read one and 2 and enjoyed them. Love as a healing/redemption is a focus in this book.

message 46: by Mariana (last edited Mar 18, 2016 07:55PM) (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments Week #1
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Rating: 4 stars, read 16/03/2016
Review:
I really enjoyed this book. The author has a fantastic and innovative take on a dichotomy between two worlds, overlaying each other: the tech one and the magic one. The fact that the heroine was a badass fighter, and her main focus was on her mission instead of devolving into a world of love stories was refreshing.I liked Derek because of his depiction as part unwilling recruit, part supporting cast. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 47: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 125 comments Sorry, I'm still reading my book. A little over 1/2 done.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2016 comments Week 2. Is a vet or works with animals.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

message 50: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments Week #2 Option 2
Bookcover/link: Written in Red
Page numbers: 513
Team-member: Sherri
Rating: 5 stars
Date read: 9/12/15
Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop

« previous 1 3 4 5