Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Six corners of the world (6)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 270 (270 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 19, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19354 comments Team members

Team Captain: Elizabeth

Members:
Unusual Child beppy
Gea
Masoodah Shelby
KarenH
Sassafrass

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19354 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Definitely let your team members know where you are from. This is a 'nice to know' when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. You already have your Team Captain. The team captain will track the books read by the team and double-check that your book selection complies with the rules - eg make sure that the selection and completion posts are as per the formatting and information requested below (msg 3).

The Team Captain should reserve a couple of posts in this thread to track their team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert one of their chat comments to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. This is not mandatory, but it is fun. Given we are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 9 March.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* please don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A/Announcement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week Option 2 has altered and I will be allocating each team another team from which their book selection must be chosen :)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19354 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

For the initial selection post Option 1 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list. ~ If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

For the initial selection post Option 2 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

For the completion post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19354 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

A summary chart will be posted in the last week to let teams know their progress against other teams :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 28, 2016 01:42AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 commentsWeek 1:
✔ Elizabeth: Seduction, 3/13/2016, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: A Reason To Believe, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: One Night Of Scandal, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: When We Met, 3/11/2016, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: The Duke's Perfect Wife, 3/12/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 2:
✔ Elizabeth: Dirty Deeds, 3/26/2016, 3.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Wild Horses, 2.5-3 stars Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: What You Need, 3/26/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: The Duchess War, 3/21/2016, 5*, Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: A Shared Range, 3/19/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: Prick, 3/26/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 3:
✔ Elizabeth: Catch a Ghost, 3/26/2016, 3-3.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: The Silence of the Stars, 3/31/2016, 3.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Bait & Switch, 3/27/2016, 3* Selection / Completion
✔Shelby: Dirty Deeds, 4/8/2016, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔KarenH: One Night with a Hero, 3/29/2016, 4+* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: Bleeding Love, 3/26/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 4:
✔ Elizabeth: Sam and Aaron, 4/6/2016, 2.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Pucked, 3.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Accidentally Married to...a Vampire?, 4/3/2016, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: Just Like Heaven, 4/14/2016, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: Truce, 4/2/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: Betrayal in Death, 4/3/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 5:
✔ Elizabeth: Against the Grain, 4/12/2016, 3.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Just the Sexiest Man Alive, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Pucked Over, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: Catch a Tiger by the Tail, 4/16/2016, 5* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: How to Walk Like a Man , 4/10/2016, 5* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: Blurred Lines, 4/9/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 6:
✔ Elizabeth: How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps, 4/20/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Tigers on the Run, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔Gea: Wonderful , 4/17/2016, 5* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: The Lightning-Struck Heart, 4/17/2016, 5* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy, 4/16/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔Sassafrass: The Duke and I, 4/16/2016, 4.5* Completion

message 6: by Elizabeth (last edited May 21, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 commentsWeek 7:
✔ Elizabeth: Captive Prince, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Mind Fuck, 5* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Kiss of a Demon King, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: The Queen & the Homo Jock King , 4/25/2016, 5* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: The Game Plan, 4/23/2016, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: A Court of Thorns and Roses, 4/28/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 8:
✔ Elizabeth: Taste, 5/4/16, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Heartbreaker Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Drifter Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: Turbulence, 5/8/2016, 4.5*, Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: Sustained Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: Fool Selection / Completion

Week 9:
✔ Elizabeth: The Boy with the Painful Tattoo, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: The Big Fix, 10/11/2016, 3.5-4 stars Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Big Easy Temptation, 5/8/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔Shelby: Bad Behavior, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: Bear Meets Girl, 5/7/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: The Shadows, 5/10/2016, 3* Selection / Completion

Week : 10
✔ Elizabeth: Deacon , 2* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Man Down, 4.5* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Jockblocked, 5/17/2016, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: Fret, 5/14/2016, 3.5* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: Something Sparked, 5/17/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: Counsellor, 5/14/2016, 4* Selection / Completion

Week 11 :
✔ Elizabeth: The Heart of Frost, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Unusual Child beppy: Winter Knights , 2* Selection / Completion
✔ Gea: Forever Pucked, 3* Selection / Completion
✔ Shelby: Cherish & Blessed, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ KarenH: Interlude in Death, 5/20/2016, 4* Selection / Completion
✔ Sassafrass: The Stocking was Hung, 4.5* Selection / Completion

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Hi teammates!
I think I know most of you. For those I don't, I live in Greece, so I'm in GMT+2 time. I think Gea is in my area, as well.
I read mostly MM romances this period but trying to add several other genres, especially mysteries. My reading time has been decreased but I love this challenge - I was in the winning team at the first round - and I couldn't resist ;)
I'm not good with names, so any suggestion is welcomed.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi team! I'm Masoodah, 18 and from the UK. I am a big fan of Contemporary Romance, Dystopian Fiction and Mystery/Thriller Novels. These are my top 3 favourite genres but I'm hoping to broaden my reading
horizons and learn about new genres! I absolutely love anything that has chocolate in it, love watching anime as well as reading manga and I want to visit Venice someday (such a beautiful city as seen from the pictures).

Hope to make lots of new GR friends through this challenge and read lots of new and TBR books! ^_^

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Hi Masoodah! Welcome! Another European in our team!
Venice is a great place, I can say that for sure since I visited three years ago ;) I wish you'll visit soon aswell!

message 10: by Sassafrass (last edited Mar 05, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3211 comments Hi all. I'm on the east coast USA. wow, 18 years old. I can't even remember what that age was like. LOL

I'll be away on a cruise during the week 2 and maybe week 3 call. I may have access to wifi to check in but I'm not sure. Luckily, it's early in the game so I'll have plenty of time to catch up.

I read a little bit of everything although Contemporary Romance is probably my favorite.

message 11: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19354 comments I know Karen is having internet problems which is why you haven't heard from her as yet :) She'll be here though!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

How old are you all? Am I going to be thw youngest of this group?

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Masoodah wrote: "How old are you all? Am I going to be thw youngest of this group?"

Definitely! LOL!
I'm 40!

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "I know Karen is having internet problems which is why you haven't heard from her as yet :) She'll be here though!"

I think beppy has limited access to Internet as well, right?

message 15: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments Hi everyone!

Wow, we're really all spread out, aren't we? I'm on the west coast of the USA...up in the far northwest corner actually, about 75 miles or so from the Canadian border and out in the middle of nowhere.

I read almost (but not quite completely) exclusively romance, but within the romance genre there's not much I won't read. Some sub-genres I'm kind of picky about and need to take in small doses, though. I think my current favorites are probably contemporary and romantic suspense, but I try to make a point of reading at least one book from each of several sub-genres every month.

I'm also horrible at coming up with names...creativity is most definitely not my strong suit!

Can't wait to get started reading!

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "I know Karen is having internet problems which is why you haven't heard from her as yet :) She'll be here though!"

I think beppy has limited access to Internet as well, right?"

I normally have pretty good access, and am around a lot - we just had a power outage yesterday that had everything shut down for most of the afternoon and evening. All better now, though!

message 17: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19354 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "I know Karen is having internet problems which is why you haven't heard from her as yet :) She'll be here though!"

I think beppy has limited access to Internet as well, right?"

Not sure about beppy...

Looking at her sign in, she does say she hasn't got internet unless she is at work. So you may have to wait until Monday before you hear from her :)

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1049 comments hi, i'm beppy.

it's good to see new and familiar faces. i live in northern british columbia, close to the start of the alaska highway in north-eastern british columbia. right now i'm on mountain standard time, but when daylight savings begins, i'll be on pacific time.

i read just about every genre and haven't found a romance sub-genre that i can't enjoy. (yet) i read m/m romance very heavily last year, but have started to read more historical, contemporary, romantic suspense and urban fantasy m/f books this year so that i don't get burned out in one genre.

as for team names, how about something to reflect our international diversity?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I am really bad at team names but heres one I thought of:

So close yet so far

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Heres a few more:

Stay with Six
The Slick Six

message 21: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3211 comments I like the Slick Six

And beppy, what are you thinking about for names?

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1049 comments i don't know. i'm really not good at names.

maybe:

simon seis 'read'
sechs-y ladies
international women of romance

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1049 comments or: sei it again

message 24: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 06, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Well done, ladies! We've got some choices.
I love sechs-y ladies! But I'll give my three favourite:
1. sechs-y ladies
2. sei it again
3. The slick six

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Im going with Sechs-y ladies

message 26: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments I'm really torn about the names...I always like to incorporate the team number if possible, but I also like the references to how widespread we are. The only thing I can come up with that uses both is "Six corners of the world"...

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1049 comments @karenh:

i like six corners of the world.

if it helps, sechs, seis and sei are german, spanish and italian for six.

message 28: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 06, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I like Karen's suggestion. My three favorite are now:
1. sechs-y ladies
2. six corners of the world
3. sei it again

How about everyone give their 2-3 favourites and I'll do the math?

message 29: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments Ok, I can do that! I'm not particularly picky about names, but of the ones that have been suggested I think my top 3 are:

1. Six Corners of the World
2. The Slick Six
3. Sechs-y Ladies

message 30: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments Ups, I totally forgot about this :D I'm 26 year old and come from Slovenia (central Europe), I'm currently searching for my first job but with no luck in the past six months :/ I love reading, almost any kind of romance is okay for me, as long as it's good. I haven't been reading much lately and hopefully this challenge will help me get back on track.

Of the names I most prefer Six Corners of the World but other ones are not bad either

message 31: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3211 comments Six corners of the world!

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I suppose we are all good with Six corners of the world!
I'll pm Jane. She said she may announce the first theme early, if all teams are named and missing team members appear!

message 33: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 09, 2016 04:14PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments Since it's the middle of the night where Elizabeth is, I'll go ahead and post the theme, just to be sure nobody misses that it's out! :D

Week 1

Option 1

18. Widower/Widow romance (stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf)

Option 2
Key date: 4 September 2015

Here's a link to Jane's original post with all the shelf links: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Thanks, Karen for posting!
I'll choose a book later.

message 36: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments Week #1
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) by Julia Quinn
373 pages
How the book qualifies - #17 on Historical Widows

message 37: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 12, 2016 02:41PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Week 1:
Seduction by Amanda Quick
343 pgs/GR
How it fits: Hero is a widower. From the precis:'For dark and enigmatic Julian, Earl of Ravenwood, was a man with a legendary temper and a first wife whose mysterious death would not be forgotten'

message 38: by Sassafrass (last edited Mar 12, 2016 06:31AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3211 comments Week 1: Widower/Widow romance

The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4) by Jennifer Ashley The Duke's Perfect Wife
296 Pages/GR
How it fits: Précis

message 39: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 12, 2016 02:42PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Week 1/Option 1:Widower/Widow romance
Finished 3/13/2016
Rating 3 stars
I enjoyed the romance and H and h's interactions, there were some good moments but H and h grated on my nerves several times. H was a jerk for almost the whole book. Moreover, the story was a bit slow and the mystery plot not so thrilling.

message 40: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3211 comments Week 1: Widower/Widow romance COMPLETED

The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4) by Jennifer Ashley The Duke's Perfect Wife
296 Pages/GR
How it fits: Précis
Date Completed: 3/12/16
Rating: *4 STARS*
Review:

There was so much going on in this one. We were seeing all of the Mackenizie Brother's and their brides and children. Plus Hart and Eleanor's romance, complete with flashbacks to 10 years previous when they were together. Then, there was all of Hart's wheeling a dealing politically. AND to top it all off, there was the mystery of the pictures that Eleanor received. It was all so much.

Because of that, I felt like the romance between Hart and Eleanor really suffered. And while I still enjoyed the story, it was my least favorite of this series so far. I wanted to like this more, but the book wasn't long enough to have all of this going on. So many story lines were not followed through.

I listened to this one on audio, and as usual, Angela Dawe's narration was fabulous. She's really making this series for me.

message 41: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3211 comments Hi all! I'm off for a 10 day cruise. I will try to check in on Friday for the call. Otherwise, I'll post when I get back Thursday.

message 42: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments Have fun on your holiday Sassafrass :)

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1049 comments have fun, sassafrass!

message 44: by UnusualChild{beppy} (last edited Mar 17, 2016 09:11AM) (new)

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1049 comments week 1: widower/widow romance

A Reason To Believe A Reason To Believe by Diana Copland
pages: 217/GR
how it qualifies: it is on the list gay romance featuring a main character mc who is widowered

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Have a great time, Sassafrass!

message 46: by Gea (last edited Mar 15, 2016 12:18AM) (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments I'm changing my book:

Week #1
One Night Of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2) by Teresa Medeiros
368 pages
How the book qualifies - shelved as widowers on 1st page

message 47: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments Completion Post
Week 1
18. Widower/Widow romance

One Night Of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2) by Teresa Medeiros
Book: One Night Of Scandal by Teresa Medeiros
Rating: ★★★
How it fits: shelved as widowers on 1st page
Review:
It's been a while since I read #1 in series so I couldn't really remember heroine from then but I was quickly thrust back into their world. Overall this wasn't a bad book but some of the heroine's actions were more than ridiculous and that considerably lowered my rating.

message 48: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 16, 2016 05:00PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments Week #1 - Completion Post

When We Met (Fool's Gold, #13) by Susan Mallery When We Met
Completed 3/11/15 - 3 Stars

Review: Susan Mallery is one of those authors that I don't read regularly, but always enjoy when I do because I know what I'm going to get, including a solid HEA. The MCs, Angel and Taryn, both have baggage from their pasts that make them determined to avoid serious emotional relationships at all costs. It was understandable that they would feel that way based on what they had experienced, but it was good to see the town of Fool's Gold do its magic and help them heal and find happiness. While I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as usual, it filled a need at the time for something easy and relaxing.

message 49: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6794 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks, Karen for posting!
I'll choose a book later."

You're welcome! :D

I'm almost always around when the themes are posted, so since I know it's the middle of the night for you, I can just plan on posting it each week if you want me to...

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks, Karen for posting!
I'll choose a book later."

You're welcome! :D

I'm almost always around when the themes are posted, so since I know it's the middle of the night for yo..."

Thanks, that would be great ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6