Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Two Purple for Pink (2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2016 12:39AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments Team members

Team Captain: Pam

Members:
Debbie(Doc)
LaurLa
Jodi
Giselle
Emelie

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Definitely let your team members know where you are from. This is a 'nice to know' when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. You already have your Team Captain. The team captain will track the books read by the team and double-check that your book selection complies with the rules - eg make sure that the selection and completion posts are as per the formatting and information requested below (msg 3).

The Team Captain should reserve a couple of posts in this thread to track their team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert one of their chat comments to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. This is not mandatory, but it is fun. Given we are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 9 March.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* please don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A/Announcement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week Option 2 has altered and I will be allocating each team another team from which their book selection must be chosen :)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

For the initial selection post Option 1 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list. ~ If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

For the initial selection post Option 2 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

For the completion post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

A summary chart will be posted in the last week to let teams know their progress against other teams :)

message 5: by Pam (last edited May 21, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Theme of the Week
Week 11 FINAL WEEK
#Holiday Romance
Any romance that take place during or leading up to a holiday or an annual celebration - Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, Halloween, Fourth of July, Guy Fawkes Night, Chinese New Year, Hanukkah or any other yearly celebration (stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf) Link to Jane's list of OPTIONAL shelves (look below at theme list) href="https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..." >Themes announced
Option 2 Key Date 13 November 2015 MUST PICK FROM TEAM MEMBER IN SEVENTH HEAVEN!!

Week 10
Option 1
#19 Read a book published for the first time between February 2015 and to date.
Option 2 Key date: 6 November 2015

Week 9
#10 Book starting with the letter 'B'
Option 2 Key date: 30 October 2015

Week 8
#16 Read a book with a one word title
Option 2 Key date: 23 October 2015

Week 7
#6 Enemies to lovers
Link to JANE with this week's MANDATORY lists Themes announced
Option 2 Key date: 16 October 2015

Week 6
#9 Book set outside USA (must be more than 50% outside USA)
Option 2 Key date: 9 October 2015

Week 5
#13 Read a book by an author whose first and last name start with the same letter (eg Dannika Dark; Charlie Cochet) OR whose first and last name start with letters that are no more than four letters apart in the alphabet (eg John Inman ~in reverse are consecutive; Kevin Hearne ~4 letters apart)
Option 2 Key date: 2 October 2015

Week 4
#4 Book with wit/witty dialogue Link to JANE with this week's MANDATORY lists Themes announced
Option 2 Key Date: 25 September 2015

Week 3
#1 MC in the military or ex-military (stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf) Link to Jane for this week's OPTIONAL lists Themes announced
Option 2 Key Date: 18 September 2015

Week 2
Option 1
#5 MC is a vet or works with animals ~paid or volunteer (stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf) Link to Jane for this week's OPTIONAL lists Themes announced
Option 2 Key date: 11 September 2015

Week 1
Option 1
18. Widower/Widow romance (stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf)
Option 2 Key date: 4 September 2015
Link to Jane for this week's OPTIONAL lists Themes announced

message 6: by Pam (last edited May 21, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Selection Post
Week 11 Final Week
Debbie(Doc)
LaurLa A Christmas Wish: Dane
Jodi A Christmas Bride
Giselle Turkey in the Snow
Emelie Something More for Santa
Pam The Stocking was Hung

Week 10
Debbie(Doc) The Liar
LaurLa True North
Jodi The Score
Giselle Lay It Down
Emelie Learning to Love: An Enemies to Lovers Gay Contemporary Romance
Pam Poisonous

Week 9
Debbie(Doc) Bound to Danger
LaurLa The Baby Doctor
Jodi Beautiful Redemption
Giselle The Biker's Omega
Emelie Biochemistry
Pam Barefoot Bound

Week 8
Debbie(Doc) Wolves
LaurLa Fated
Jodi Dirty
Giselle Locked
Emelie Adder
Pam Deep

Week 7
Debbie(Doc) Then Came You
LaurLa Stolen Songbird
Jodi My Favorite Mistake
Giselle Shane and Trey
Emelie Night and Day
Pam Checkmate

Week 6
Debbie(Doc) Fortune Favors the Wicked
LaurLa The Spanish Acquisition
Jodi Road Trip With the Eligible Bachelor
Giselle Taboo For You
Emelie Boats in the Night
Pam Because of Miss Bridgerton

Week 5
Debbie(Doc) After the Kiss by Lauren Layne
LaurLa Ransom by Julie Garwood
Jodi Not Quite Dating by Catherine Bybee
Giselle The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon
Emelie Handle with Care by Josephine Myles
Pam Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz

Week 4
Debbie(Doc) Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night
LaurLa The Deal
Jodi Far Too Tempting
Giselle Mummy Dearest
Emelie Fire Down Below
Pam When Beauty Tamed the Beast

Week 3
Debbie Moonlight Road
LaurLa No Place to Run
Jodi Come Back to Me
Giselle Shock & Awe
Emelie Unexpected Rescue
Pam Whisper of Warning

Week 2
Debbie Irresistible Force
LaurLa Pass
Jodi Notorious (Option 2)
Giselle Lonely
Emelie Two Pet Dicks
Pam Promise Canyon

Week 1
Debbie(Doc) The Promise
LaurLa August Unknown
Jodi A Hero to Come Home To
Giselle Cop Out
Emelie The Actor and the Earl
Pam The Seduction of His Wife

message 7: by Pam (last edited May 22, 2016 07:48AM) (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Completion
Week 11 Final Week
✔️Debbie(Doc) The Stocking was Hung 5/21 ***3/4
✔️LaurLa A Christmas Wish: Dane 5/21****
Jodi A Christmas Bride
Giselle Turkey in the Snow
✔️Emelie Something More for Santa5/22 *****
✔️Pam The Stocking was Hung 5/21 ***1/2
The Stocking was Hung (The Holidays, #1) by Tara Sivec A Christmas Wish Dane (The MacKenzie Family #1.1) by Liliana Hart The Stocking was Hung (The Holidays, #1) by Tara Sivec Something More for Santa by A.K.M. Miles

Week 10
✔️LaurLa True North 5/16 ****
✔️Debbie(Doc) The Liar 5/17 ****
✔️Emelie Learning to Love: An Enemies to Lovers Gay Contemporary Romance 5/19 ****
✔️Giselle Lay It Down 5/18 ****
✔️Pam Poisonous 5/20 ** 1/2
✔️Jodi The Score 5/17 *****
True North (True, #1) by Liora Blake The Liar by Nora Roberts Learning to Love An Enemies to Lovers Gay Contemporary Romance by Felice Stevens Lay It Down by Mary Calmes Poisonous (Maxine Revere, #3) by Allison Brennan The Score (Off-Campus, #3) by Elle Kennedy
Week 9
✔️Pam Barefoot Bound 5/7 ***
✔️Jodi Beautiful Disaster 5/8 ***
✔️Debbie (Doc) Bound to Danger 5/12 *** 3/4
✔️Emelie Biochemistry 5/12 *****
✔️Laurla The Baby Doctor 5/13 ***
✔️Giselle The Biker's Omega 5/11 ****

Barefoot Bound (Barefoot Bay Undercover, #0.5; Barefoot Bay Universe, #11) by Roxanne St. Claire Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire Bound to Danger (Deadly Ops, #2) by Katie Reus Biochemistry (Chemistry, #2) by Andrew Grey The Baby Doctor (Doctor 911, #7) by Bobby Hutchinson The Biker's Omega (Alpha and Omega, #1) by Lisa Oliver
Week 8
✔️Debbie Wolves 5/3 ***
✔️Emelie Adder 5/2 ****
✔️Laurla Fated 5/6 ****
✔️Pam Deep 5/5 ** 1/2
✔️Jodi Dirty 5/3 ***
✔️Giselle Locked 5/4 ****

Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1) by C. Gockel Adder by Ally Blue Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti Deep (Stage Dive, #4) by Kylie Scott Dirty (Dive Bar, #1) by Kylie Scott Locked (Telluric Realm Book 1) by Anyta Sunday
Week 7
✔️Pam Checkmate 4/25 ***
✔️Laurla Stolen Songbird 4/25 ****
✔️Debbie(Doc) Then Came You 4/27 *** 1/2
✔️Emelie Night and Day 4/27 ****
✔️Giselle Shane and Trey 4/28 ****
✔️Jodi My Favorite Mistake 4/29 ****

Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3) by R.L. Mathewson Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1) by Danielle L. Jensen Then Came You (The Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Night and Day (Night and Day, #1) by Mandy Rosko Shane and Trey (Enemies to Lovers, #1) by Anyta Sunday My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron

Week 6
✔️Pam Because of Miss Bridgerton 4/15 ***
✔️Giselle Taboo For You 4/21 ****
✔️Debbie(Doc) Fortune Favors the Wicked *** 1/4
✔️Emelie Boats in the Night 4/21 *****
✔️Laurla The Spanish Acquisition 4/21 *** 1/2
✔️Jodi Road Trip With the Eligible Bachelor 4/17 **

Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys #1) by Julia Quinn Taboo For You (Friends to Lovers #1) by Anyta Sunday Fortune Favors the Wicked by Theresa Romain Boats in the Night by Josephine Myles The Spanish Acquisition by Nora Snowdon Road Trip With the Eligible Bachelor by Michelle Douglas
Week 5
✔️Laurla Ransom 4/13 ****
✔️Debbie(Doc) After the Kiss 4/13 *** 1/4
✔️Emelie Handle with Care 4/14 *****
✔️Pam Secret Sisters 4/14 ***
✔️Giselle The Dark Tide 4/12 ****
✔️Jodi Not Quite Dating 4/10 ****

Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) by Julie Garwood After the Kiss (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #1) by Lauren Layne Handle with Care by Josephine Myles Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) by Josh Lanyon Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1) by Catherine Bybee

Week 4
✔️Debbie (Doc) Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night 4/4 ****
✔️Laurla The Deal 4/6 ****
✔️Pam When Beauty Tamed the Beast 4/8 ****
✔️Emelie Fire Down Below 4/7 *****
✔️Giselle Mummy Dearest 4/4 ****
✔️Jodi Far Too Tempting 4/3 ****

Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark #4) by Kresley Cole The Deal (Off-Campus, #1) by Elle Kennedy When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) by Eloisa James Fire Down Below (Gynazule #1) by Debra Anastasia Mummy Dearest (The XOXO Files, #1) by Josh Lanyon Far Too Tempting by Lauren Blakely
Week 3
✔️Laurla No Place to Run 3/29 ****
✔️Debbie(Doc) Moonlight Road 3/29 ****
✔️Jodi Come Back to Me 3/29 ****
✔️Emelie Unexpected Rescue 3/30 ****
✔️Giselle Shock & Awe 4/1 ****
✔️Pam Whisper of Warning 4/3 ****
No Place to Run (KGI, #2) by Maya Banks Moonlight Road (Virgin River, #10) by Robyn Carr Come Back to Me (Come Back to Me, #1) by Mila Gray Unexpected Rescue (Unexpected #1) by Silvia Violet Shock & Awe (Sidewinder, #1) by Abigail Roux Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2) by Laura Griffin
Week 2
✔️Pam Promise Canyon 3/22 ***
✔️Jodi Notorious 3/23 ****
✔️Debbie(Doc) Irresistible Force 3/24 ****
✔️Giselle Lonely 3/24 ***
✔️Emelie Two Pet Dicks 3/24 *****
✔️Laurla Pass

Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11) by Robyn Carr Notorious (Max Revere Novels, #1) by Allison Brennan Irresistible Force (K-9 Rescue, #1) by D.D. Ayres Lonely by Scarlet Blackwell Two Pet Dicks by John Inman

Week 1
✔️Debbie(Doc) The Promise 3/11 ****
✔️ Jodi A Hero to Come Home To 3/12 ****
✔️Giselle Cop Out 3/15 ****
✔️Emelie The Actor and the Earl 3/17 ****
✔️ Laurla August Unknown 3/17 ***
✔️Pam The Seduction of His Wife ** 1/2
The Promise (Thunder Point, #5) by Robyn Carr A Hero to Come Home To (Tallgrass, #1) by Marilyn Pappano Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1) by K.C. Burn The Actor and the Earl (The Crofton Chronicles #1) by Rebecca Cohen August Unknown by Pamela Fryer The Seduction of His Wife (Logger #1) by Janet Chapman

message 8: by Pam (last edited Mar 04, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Hi team soon to be named. I'm Pam and this is my fourth Pass the Parcel challenge and my favorite challenge of all. I've never captained before so this will be a "learning" experience. I live in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington DC. I'm a high school special education teacher and in a perfect world, every room in my house would have multiple bookshelves!

message 9: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 340 comments Hi Teammates,

I''m Debbie, and I have been in this challenge a few times. This is one of my favorite challenges. I live outside of Atlanta, GA in the eastern time zone. I'm an online university instructor. I earned my doctorate last year and am so behind on current books. I also like to listen to audio books

message 10: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Hi my name is emeli and i am a halflatina from sweden that loves cats and romance books. My favourite kind of romance is m/m and paranormal werewolfes in particular and shifters this is my third time doing this challenge.

message 11: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (jojolyn) | 395 comments Hello Team! I'm from Columbus, Ohio and I work within our local Library system. This is the first time I have played in this challenge, it sounds like lots of fun. I read a lot of romance, YA, thrillers/suspense and New Adult books. I am looking forward to this challenge!

message 12: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Hi team! I am from just outside of Indianapolis, IN (Jodi, we're neighbors!). I work for the marketing department for an accounting firm (I am NOT an accountant nor do I play one of tv!). Mostly what I do is help maintain our customer database. Anyway, I am an avid romance reader. I think this is my 3rd PtP challenge and I can't wait to get started!

message 13: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Here are some suggestions for a team name

2good to be true
The purple monkeys
Pink ladies
Two peas in a pod

message 14: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Anything with purple in the title works for me!

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 07, 2016 11:59PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments Just missing Giselle here, team?

**edit**
Reminder PM sent :D

message 16: by Pam (last edited Mar 08, 2016 03:48AM) (new)

Pam | 1047 comments I've been floored by the flu. You know it's bad when you are home and only read 20 pages :( Good thing it is before the challenge starts.

While we are waiting for Giselle, let's try and get the team name down. I was picking up on Emelie's purple and Laurla liking for purple and came across this website called 50 Shades of Purple 50 Shades of Purple.

I was looking for something purply that went with two. No luck but what about that as a team name? Even if I confess to having never read any of the books? (The website is clean I promise.) Our motivation--Jane will call theme early as soon as all teams ready to go.

message 17: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (jojolyn) | 395 comments I can go along with using purple in our team name. :)

message 18: by Giselle (last edited Mar 08, 2016 04:50AM) (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Hi!!! Sorry, for some reason I have not been getting my Goodread messages. Anyway... I'm in Princeton, NJ. I'm a stay at home /homeschooling mom of a 12 going on 30-year-old and love to read. My first time trying this challenge and I'm looking forward to fun times.

message 19: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Name choice....

Too Purple for Pink

Sorry, just woke up so brain not online yet.

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Okay it's us and team five without a name. Pressure. Final input?!

message 21: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments Pam wrote: "Okay it's us and team five without a name. Pressure. Final input?!"

You can just stay as Team 2 of course :) but otherwise, Pam - you pick a name, maybe based on Purple since there is some consensus on that :)

message 22: by LaurLa (last edited Mar 09, 2016 05:09AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments I like 50 Shades of Purple (I've never read the series either and don't ever plan to). I also like Two Purple for Pink (instead of Too)...

Sorry I was MIA yesterday. Busy work day!

Hope you're feeling better, Pam. There's a bunch of sick going around here... I'm trying to hide from everyone so I don't get it too!

Welcome, Giselle!!!

message 23: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Pam, you sound like a great picker!:-) Go ahead and pick us a name!!!

message 24: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 340 comments Sorry, I am getting over the flu.

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Okay-I'm going to send in Two Purple for Pink. I never got a chance to get back to this today. It's what happens when you take two days off work. At least I'm not coughing all over any more!

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments Pam wrote: "Okay-I'm going to send in Two Purple for Pink. I never got a chance to get back to this today. It's what happens when you take two days off work. At least I'm not coughing all over any more!"

Hope you are feeling better! Sounds like everyone has been a bit under the weather :( Get better everyone!

BTW - the first theme has been called :D

message 27: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Selection Post - Option 1
Week: 1

August Unknown by Pamela Fryer
Book: August Unknown
Page numbers: 264 pp (Kindle)
How the book qualifies: From the precis: Blaming himself for his late wife's death, Geoffrey Barthlow has only begun to scrape together the pieces of his shattered life.

message 28: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 340 comments Selection Post -

The Promise (Thunder Point, #5) by Robyn Carr

Book: The Promise
Page Numbers: 363
How the book qualifies: Option 1 Widower #115 on List

message 29: by Giselle (last edited Mar 10, 2016 07:15AM) (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Week #: 1
Book: Cop Out by by K.C. Burn
Page numbers: 200
How the book qualifies: Option 1 Gay Romance Featuring A MC who is Widowered

message 30: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Do I have to have a pic of the book too? Trying to figure out how to do that.

message 31: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Week 1

Option 1

The Actor and the Earl (The Crofton Chronicles #1) by Rebecca Cohen

216 pages

Number 72 on this list
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

message 32: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Giselle wrote: "Do I have to have a pic of the book too? Trying to figure out how to do that."

You don't have to show the book cover, Giselle. I think we all just like to. :-P

If you want to as well, at the bottom of the box where you are linking the title of your book, there is a 'button' where you can choose Cover. Then when you click on Add, it will show the cover instead of the title. Hope that helps!

message 33: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments LaurLa wrote: "Giselle wrote: "Do I have to have a pic of the book too? Trying to figure out how to do that."

You don't have to show the book cover, Giselle. I think we all just like to. :-P

If you want to as w..."

Thanks LaurLa!!

message 34: by Pam (last edited Mar 10, 2016 02:36PM) (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Week 1 Option 1
The Seduction of His Wife (Logger #1) by Janet Chapman
338 pp. gr
Number #39 on Best Widow Romance

message 35: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Giselle wrote: "LaurLa wrote: "Giselle wrote: "Do I have to have a pic of the book too? Trying to figure out how to do that."

If y..."

I've also discovered the hard way that you can also just add the word cover after the word book in your entry (one word) so you don't have to delete or go back to add book/author.

message 36: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (jojolyn) | 395 comments Week 1

A Hero to Come Home To (Tallgrass, #1) by Marilyn Pappano

Page #- 400 (GR)
How it qualifies: from the precis- Two years after losing her husband in Afghanistan, Carly Lowry has rebuilt her life in Tallgrass, Oklahoma.

message 37: by Debbie (Doc) (last edited Mar 11, 2016 04:24PM) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 340 comments Selection Post -

Week 1: Completion Post

The Promise (Thunder Point, #5) by Robyn Carr

Book: The Promise
Completed: 3/11/16
4 stars

How the book qualified: Option 1 Widower #115 on List

Review:

Book 5 in the Thunder Point series certainly did not disappoint. So far, this is my favorite installment. Dr. Scott Grant finally has gotten his HEA and I couldn’t be happier for him. Peyton certainly was not looking for another relationship and especially a relationship with yet another doctor. Peyton came from a large loving farming family. She was raised to be kind and to be a hard worker. The reader is given vivid details of the family farm. I fell in love with both of her parents and am so jealous! Scott’s wife died during childbirth of their youngest child. Although Scott is a busy county doctor, his children are extremely well mannered and even tempered unlike the children that Peyton tried to help raise for the past three years. What I really liked in this installment just as much as getting to know the good Dr. and Peyton better is the supporting character of Rawley. I am hoping that he has his own installment and finds his HEA also.

This was an extremely enjoyable comfortable read. I give 5 stars to Therese Plummer, the narrator. By far, Ms. Plummer is at the top of my favorite narrator list. The inflection of her voice makes the listener forget that narrator is only one person! I gave this storyline 4 stars, because I felt that the ending was rushed.

message 38: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Hey My Lovely Purple not Pink Ladies!

I am going to be on vacation starting this Saturday (3/20) and will be gone through the following Sunday (3/27). It's a cruise so I will have very limited, if any, internet access starting mid-day on the first Sunday.

We have a call this Friday, 3/18 - I will make every effort to read and post for that call before I lose internet access on Sunday but if I can't, we're allowed to get behind by a week so I think it will be okay even if I can't post until I return. But I really think I'll have it done before I leave.

Friday, 3/25 call - I will not be able to check in for this call until Monday, 3/28 but will certainly have it read by the next call!

I have a lot of team challenges going on right now, so trying to plan for them is tricky - let me know if I've missed something here! Don't want to get us in trouble!!

message 39: by Jodi (last edited Mar 17, 2016 07:25PM) (new)

Jodi (jojolyn) | 395 comments Week 1 Completion post

Read: A Hero to Come Home To (Tallgrass, #1) by Marilyn Pappano

Completed: 3/12/16
Rating: ****
How it qualifies: from the precis- Two years after losing her husband in Afghanistan, Carly Lowry has rebuilt her life in Tallgrass, Oklahoma.

Review: This book was the first in the Tallgrass, OK series. It was an emotional love story about finding a way to move past your issues and loving again. Carly is a widow who meets Dane while rock climbing. There was instant chemistry but Carly felt it was too soon to let her husband go. Dane wasn't really living because he lost his leg in the war. He needs to decide where his life is headed. This book was a slow building romance because both characters were scared to love. I felt Carly grew more in the story than Dane.

The storyline is set around the Fort Murphy's Widow Club. They met every Tuesday night at the local Mexican restaurant for Margaritas (my kind of night). All these minor characters(widows) show up in the book, which sets up the continuation of the series. I liked the book enough to continue on with the series. Actually, I can't wait to read #2 because of one of the characters!

message 40: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Week 1 completion post
Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1) by K.C. Burn
Book: Cop Out
Completed: 3/15/16
Rating: 4 Stars

Kurt is a detective who loses his partner in a bust gone wrong. At his funeral he discovers that his partner had hidden a few things from him, the main one being that he was gay and in a relationship with a man, Davy. Kurt is hurt that his partner who he considered a friend didn't trust him but decides to help Davy like he would any cops spouse.

They soon become friends and start spending a lot of time together. Kurt finds himself sexually attracted to Davy and gives in to his feelings and has some hot sex with Davy. Unfortunately, they have a fight soon after and break up for a few months. Kurt falls into a deep depression and turns to alcohol. Their getting back together is the best part of the story.

Great GFY story but don't look for any mystery even though one of the MC's is a cop. Not much sex either! Though what there is is hot!!!. Great writing style by a new (to me) author.

message 41: by Emeli (last edited Mar 17, 2016 11:34PM) (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Week 1 The Actor and the Earl (The Crofton Chronicles #1) by Rebecca Cohen

Finished 3/17

Rating 4/5

Rewiew

I loved sebastian and anthonys story and i love crossdressing.the story also reminded me a little bit about my favourite play by shakespeare twelfth night

message 42: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (jojolyn) | 395 comments Have a fantastic time LaurLa!

message 43: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Completions Post - Option 1
Week: 1

Book: August Unknown
Page numbers: 264 pp (Kindle)
How the book qualifies: From the precis: Blaming himself for his late wife's death, Geoffrey Barthlow has only begun to scrape together the pieces of his shattered life.
Read: 03.17
Rating: ★★★
Review:
This was a really slow starter for me. The first third of the book was a lot of repeat musings by both MCs around her amnesia, growing feelings but fear that she would be married or some other thing that would pull them apart when she regained her memory. It bordered on whining so I wasn't as sympathetic as I could have been to her plight. But the mystery/suspense part of the book was good. There was even a decent red herring. And once the heroine started getting her memory again, things started happening and it got to be a book I had to finish so I could see what happened. All in all good story, not great.

message 44: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3257 comments Jodi wrote: "Have a fantastic time LaurLa!"

Thanks! That's the plan! Warm weather, here I come!!

message 45: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Looks like everyone but me is finished but I should finish tonight or tomorrow morning. Not loving my book and still have a massive head cold.

Laurla, have a great spring break. Cruises are so much fun. Thanks for the heads up. Remember you can always pass for a week.

message 46: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Week 2

Two Pet Dicks by John Inman

220 pages

Reason it fits the main characters are pet detectives like ace ventura

message 47: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 340 comments Week 2 Selection Post -

Irresistible Force (K-9 Rescue, #1) by D.D. Ayres

Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres

Page Numbers: 320
How the book qualifies: MC is a trainer and partner of a Police dog.

message 48: by Giselle (last edited Mar 19, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Giselle (gisellead) | 29 comments Week 2 Selection Post
Lonely by Scarlet Blackwell

Book: Lonely by Scarlet Blackwell
Page Numbers: 123
How the book Qualifies: Gay Romance Featuring Veterinarians

message 49: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19359 comments All looks to be well under control here :)

Hope you feel better soon Pam! And have a great cruise LaurLa :D

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Week 2 Selection Post
Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11) by Robyn Carr
Promise Canyon
342 pages GR
How the Book Qualified #80 on Creatures Great and Small: Veterinarians in Romance

« previous 1 3 4 5