Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - The Bluestockings (1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 351 (351 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:02PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Team members

Team Captain: Amy (greenfairy)

Members:
Drishti
Lekshmy
Shannon (wckdktty)
Skandia
Becky Bookworm

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Definitely let your team members know where you are from. This is a 'nice to know' when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. You already have your Team Captain. The team captain will track the books read by the team and double-check that your book selection complies with the rules - eg make sure that the selection and completion posts are as per the formatting and information requested below (msg 3).

The Team Captain should reserve a couple of posts in this thread to track their team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert one of their chat comments to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. This is not mandatory, but it is fun. Given we are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 9 March.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* please don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A/Announcement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week Option 2 has altered and I will be allocating each team another team from which their book selection must be chosen :)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

For the initial selection post Option 1 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list. ~ If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

For the initial selection post Option 2 I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

For the completion post I need:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

A summary chart will be posted in the last week to let teams know their progress against other teams :)

message 6: by GreenFairy (last edited May 06, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Post Selections Week 1-6

Week 1-Week 1 Team Post Completed 3/20
(view spoiler)

Week 2-Week 2 Team Post Completed 4/3
(view spoiler)

Week 3-Week 3 Team Post Completed 4/12
(view spoiler)

Week 4-Week 4 Team Post Completed 4/15
(view spoiler)

Week 5-Week 5 Team Post Completed 4/26
(view spoiler)

Week 6-Week 6 Team Post Completed 4/29
(view spoiler)

message 7: by GreenFairy (last edited May 21, 2016 04:25AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Post Selection Week 7-11

Week 7-Week 7 Team Post Completed 5/16
(view spoiler)

Week 8-Week 8 Team Post
(view spoiler)

Week 9-Week 9 Team Post Completed 5/20
(view spoiler)

Week 10-Week 10 Team Post
(view spoiler)

Week 11-Week 11 Team Post
Drishti-Post 335
Lekshmy-my link text
Becky-Post 334
Shannon-my link text
Amy-Post 333

message 8: by GreenFairy (last edited May 06, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Post Completions Week 1-6

Week 1-Week 1 Team Post Completed 3/19
(view spoiler)

Week 2-Week 2 Team Post Completed 4/3
(view spoiler)

Week 3-Week 3 Team Post Completed 4/12
(view spoiler)

Week 4-Week 4 Team Post Completed 4/15
(view spoiler)

Week 5-Week 5 Team Post Completed 4/26
(view spoiler)

Week 6-Week 6 Team Post Completed 4/29
(view spoiler)

message 9: by GreenFairy (last edited May 21, 2016 04:21AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Post Completions Week 7-11

Week 7-Week 7 Team Post Completed 5/16
(view spoiler)

Week 8-Week 8 Team Post
Drishti-my link text
Lekshmy-Post 306
Becky-Post 257
Shannon-Post 279
Amy-Post 274

Week 9-Week 9 Team Post Completed 5/20
(view spoiler)

Week 10-Week 10 Team Post
Drishti-Post 303
Lekshmy-my link text
Becky-Post 320
Shannon-my link text
Amy-Post 327

Week 11-Week 11 Team Post
Drishti-my link text
Lekshmy-my link text
Becky-my link text
Skandia-my link text
Shannon-my link text
Amy-my link text

message 10: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Evening, everyone!

I'm Amy, or GreenFairy as Jane often refers to me. I've been married for 6 years this coming July but we have been together for 15 years (in June). We have a soon to be 14 year old daughter, Munchkin. Her name is actually Ashlee though. And we have an almost 2 year old rescue cat, who, depending on the very second, sometimes thinks she is a dog, a rabbit, a raptor, or a human.

I actually read for a living! I'm an editor, beta reader, reviewer, and promoter. After working in retail most of my adult life, I did it for fun. Then I ended up getting hurt and can't do a lot of the things I used to do. With some nudging from a couple authors I'm friends with, I turned it into a career.

When I'm not reading I'm usually crocheting. Just recently finished a project and I'm working on 3 others. Toward the end of March through about the end of October I am also an assistant coach for 2 of my daughter's softball teams.

This is one of my favorite challenges. I have participated in every single one Jane has done. And in between them, I bug her about when the next one is.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Good Evening, Teamies!

I'm Becky from Oklahoma! My husband and I are enjoying having the house to ourselves again after raising 3 boys. We've had two grandsons in the last 18 months and are loving every minute we get to spend spoiling them rotten. We also have two horses and a very spoiled German Shepard mix. Maggie (our dog) is from a pet rescue and my youngest son's horse came from a rescue situation, too. They're all such a big part of our family!

Amy...that's awesome the you're able to read for a living! In some ways, our situations are similar. I retired after a serious car accident caused a lot of health issues. It's slowed me down a lot, but the dry summer heat tends to help, so I'm more active during the warmer months. My horse is extremely therapeutic for me. As long as I keep moving, I do alright until the weather turns cold.

I'm really looking forward to the challenge! This is one of my favorites and I've missed it! I had knee surgery last June and had to cut back on my reading commitments. BOO!

message 12: by Shannon (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:21PM) (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments Hi Team. My name is Shannon, but since it's so common I also go by Wckdktty (Wicked Kitty). A little of the story on the nickname is twofold, one I have a tattoo with that written on it, and two I volunteered to work with big cats namely tigers. I am married for 8 years now and have a son that is 7. No furbabies as my boys are allergic, but we do have a pet ball python that my son named Rattleshake (in reference to his favorite game Skylanders). I reside currently in the bipolar weather state of Florida.

I am a SAHM. Due to health issues, I have been unable to find a job. I wish I could read for a living.

When not reading, I frequently volunteer at my son's school, or the afore mentioned big cat ranch. I love crafting, most Rainbow Loom or other bracelet designs. I have currently become addicted to the Adult Coloring as well.

I have participated in this challenge in all of them, however did not complete the last one due to unforeseen death in the family. I do enjoy this challenge more than any other challenge they have. I was a team captain for the 2nd run. I also was on a winning team on the 2nd run. I even set up a pre-book list for all the possible themes.

I am not good at coming up with the group names, but I would be happy to vote on choices.

Shannon/Wckdktty

message 13: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments Hi everyone!
I'm Skandia and I'm from Estonia. I've done this challenge a couple of times and it has been fun! Can't wait to get started!

message 14: by Drishti (last edited Mar 05, 2016 12:31AM) (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 47 comments Hi, team!

I'm Drishti and I'm from India. I'll be 15 by the end of March. (Looks like I'm the youngest member in the team!)

It's my first time doing this challenge. But, I've been a team challenge addict for a while now. I actually have five different team challenges going on right now!

Just a heads-up to you guys, I have exams from Tuesday to March 23. So, forgive me if my activity on Goodreads is a bit erratic for that duration. But, no worries about the reading. I'll get it done! =)

And, I'll try to think up some team names if I can.....

message 15: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments It's nice to meet some new people! Becky, Shannon and Skandia I know from the Meet N Greet Jane does (another favorite of mine.

I usually volunteer to be a captain for this because a lot of people seem intimidated. I am currently on 3 team challenges. One is a year long challenge.

Before I forget, and I will remind when the time comes... Jane calls the new week category on Friday nights. Come toward the end of April, my daughter's softball games will be on Friday nights, so I won't be here on those evenings. I am going to need someone to just make sure the category gets posted in here for everyone. In face, if anyone notices anytime that she calls a category and I don't post it here, please feel free to do so.

Drishti, no worries. As long as you post your book selections and completions, don't worry about it. Focus on school.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Sounds like we have a great team! It's so fun to meet new people (and connect with old teammates, too)!

Amy - I'd be happy to help with posting the weekly theme whenever you need backup. Friday nights I have a date with the hubby to Netflix & Chill, so I can easily pop in. : )

Skandia - *waves* Nice to see you again!

Shannon - I think it's really cool that you work with the big cats! My son volunteered at a nearby Tiger Rescue back when he was a little younger (it was a 4H project). They are such beautiful animals. You're son is at such a fantastic age! My eldest son was five when I went through a divorce. I quit my job and did in home daycare so I could care for the three boys (my youngest was just a baby). I met my 2nd (and last) husband during that time and eventually went back to work part time when the kids were all settled in school. I've never regretted the decision to put my boys ahead of my career. I treasured every minute with them, especially now that they are grown and out on their own. Mothers shape the future. : )

Drishti - Welcome! I'm a challenge addict, too! It's nice to have a young person on our team! I'll work on team names, too. I'm hit or miss...it all depends on my inner muse. If she's in the mood to cooperate, I'll come up with some ideas. Otherwise... *crickets chirping*

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments I was thinking...*gasp*

Maybe it would help us come up with team names if we shared our book interests?

I'll read almost anything. Currently I've focused heavily on Urban Fantasy. My favorites rotate between Crime Thrillers, Romantic Suspense, Science Fiction, Space Opera, Fantasy/Magic, and Historical Fiction...including Westerns (with or without romance).

My favorite authors are: Craig Johnson, David Baldacci, C.J. Box, Ilona Andrews, Jim Butcher, Benedict Jacka, Nora Roberts / J.D. Robb, Linda Howard, Sandra Brown, Jill Shalvis, Nicky Charles, Patricia Briggs and Rachel Caine.

message 18: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments I tend to read Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, various types of erotica myself.

I'm not a fan of Nora Roberts but I love her as J.D. Robb.

Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs...I have way too many to name LOL

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Possible Team Names
Please feel free to change any of these around. I was just brainstorming (a little). ; )

1. Bodacious Book Binders
2. Wise 1’s
3. The Bluestockings (A bluestocking is an intelligent or literary woman)

Or we could mix these up, i.e., Bodacious Bluestockings, etc. Anyone else have some ideas?

message 20: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 47 comments I read science fiction, fantasy, humor, mythology and paranormal romance.

message 21: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 47 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "I was thinking...*gasp*

Maybe it would help us come up with team names if we shared our book interests?

I'll read almost anything. Currently I've focused heavily on Urban Fantasy. My favorites ..."

Whoa. You have 13 favorite authors?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Amy wrote: "Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs...I have way too many to nam..."

I enjoy Briggs, too. She has such a clean flow to her writing. I can just sit back and shut off the world! Are you excited about the next Mercy Thompson book? I pre-ordered Fire Touched months ago and it's driving me crazy to wait. It feels like it's been forever since I read the last book!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Drishti wrote: "Whoa. You have 13 favorite authors? "

Yep...if you can believe it. I read a LOT of books these days. Another team challenge asked us to list our five favorite books of all time and I was like, "What?! Only five!?"

message 24: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments Haloooo my reading buddies :)

So excited!!! finally ready to kick off this challenge. I am Lekshmy Puranik,residing in Californai,US. I am in US for 5 years now and the most exciting thing about staying here is free access to a huge Library :).

I love reading Thriller and Romance genre .Naming my few favorite books - The Book Thief,Fae Fever series, Biography of Henritta,The girl on the train etc etc... I am mother of 2 girls, 6 yr old and 6 month old. I am a Bollywood dance instructor .

This challenge will help me get back on my reading flow. Since this is my first time with this challenge, would never guidance from the team.

Glad to know u all!!!

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19377 comments Wow - a Bollywood dance instructor!!! We are all going to want to get tips from you L :D

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Welcome, Lekshmy! Nice to meet you! : )

message 27: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments Becky, I like The Bluestockings for a team name!
Such a great idea!

I'm mostly a romance reader - historical, erotica, NA, paranormal - all goes.
Some fantasy - I love love Laini Taylor's and Maggie Stiefvater's writing.

What comes to romance authors, lately I've enjoyed books by Elle Kennedy, Beth Ehemann, Mia Sheridan and of course my all time favorite romance authors are Lisa Kleypas, Susan Wiggs and more from general fiction's side - Kristin Hannah and Sarah Addisson Allen

message 28: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 47 comments I like The Bluestockings too!

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments I am in for Bluestockings.

I read a lot of PNR, Romantic Suspense, Romance, Erotica. Love Nora Roberts, JD Robb, Patricia Briggs, JR Ward, Christine Feehan and so on.

message 30: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Lekshmy, any assistance you might need, don't hesitate to ask. This is a fun and easy challenge. When Jane first pitched it, I thought it would be complicated. Until I saw it really wasn't. Just might seem like it at first. But a few of us have done this one at least once so I'm sure you will get plenty of help.

If no one has objections (I'll wait until sometime Monday evening EST) I'll submit our name to Jane.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Yay for The Bluestockings!!!! It's funny what you find while using a thesaurus! LOL!

message 32: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Hey, it's original. And I think it fits nicely :D

Name is submitted!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Awesome! Thanks, Amy!

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments Up late tonight, from a combo of good book and horrible head cold. Now I can't decide whether to start a new book or wait in case Jane gets to call the theme early.

message 35: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments I'm in between books myself, Shannon. And my luck I would start a book that would fit perfectly for the category.

I hope everyone gets organized so she can call it early. I think I'm going to spend some time checking out the categories and books available :D

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Good morning, Ladies!

I was wondering if she would call the first theme early, too. I hope she will. So many long awaited releases are coming out today that I don't know which to start first! I usually have three or four books going at once and rotate between them if I feel the need. It'll be tough to do that this week!

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments I ended up starting another book. I just chose a Harlequin though cause with being sick I knew I could finish it.

Head colds in Florida during Pollen season suck.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments I feel for you, Shannon. My son has terrible allergies during this time of year. The wind has been terrible here the last week or so and he's been miserable. Feel better soon!

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments Thanks Becky.

message 40: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments Thank u Amy

message 41: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments Yes I can do Skype dance for u all

message 42: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments What are these link text ?? It is going to my home page

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Lekshmy wrote: "What are these link text ?? It is going to my home page"

Which post are they in? Maybe I can help. By chance, are you using the Goodreads App? It's very glitchy and doesn't work nearly as well as the computer version. Some options aren't available through the App, so it will just "default" to the homepage. When I have to use it, it drives me bonkers!

I'd love to see you dance!!!! : )

message 44: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments I am referring to Selection and post completion link .. I was thinking of picking the book from library and keeping it ready ... So don't know what is the theme for week 1? How do we add our updates ?? In the link ??

message 45: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Mar 09, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Ah, okay. That's an easy question. The links you're seeing in the early posts are for Amy to keep track of our team's progress. The 1st week's theme hasn't been called yet. Sometimes Jane will call the first week early, which gives us a few extra days to finish the book, but she hasn't said if she's going to do that yet. We can be sure that she'll call Week 1 on Friday, March 11th.

Amy will post each new theme here, in our thread, but it can also be found in the Q&A/Announcement thread. Here's the link: Announcement Thread

Once the theme is announced and you've selected your book, you'll post a selection thread in our team thread (just create a new post each time) using this format:
Week #:
Bookcover/link:
Page numbers:
How the book qualifies:
please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list. If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

You'll also post a completion post here once you've finished your book using this format:

Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

It's really easy! Amy will do the rest! : )

message 46: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Becky, thank you so much for explaining before I could get here.

I apologize about the confusion, Lekshmy. Once the challenge gets started, you'll be able to click on links (once they're changed) and it will take you to the correct post in here. I have a thing about being prepared, organized, and ready early.

Speaking of early...

Jane did say that if the last two un-named teams get their team names to her by 6pm EST she will call week 1 early.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Thanks for keeping things so neat and organized, Amy! It'll be easy to find things this round! YAY!

message 48: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments Thanks Becky

message 49: by Lekshmy (new)

Lekshmy | 242 comments Amy !! Good signs of team leader !!

message 50: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments I'm happy to see it's appreciated. I've dealt with captains that had stuff all over the place. Never made anything easy. All the things I do as a captain is a combination of what I find works, things that other captains of different team challenges that work, and things that are different from what captains have found didn't work.

Each week I'll have a post set up for the category, everyone's selections and everyone's completions as well.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8