Super Awesome Book Club discussion

Start in April

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liana (new)

Liana Agrios | 9 comments Mod
Hello all!

I was thinking we could start in April to give everyone time to sign up and think of their favorite books. Thoughts? We also need to decide who will choose the first book!

- Liana

message 2: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Kowaleski (mick_mak) | 4 comments I nominate Liana and/or Joana to pick the first book since this is their brainchild! Then they can nominate the next person to pick a book, then that person nominates someone else, etc etc

message 3: by Liana (new)

Great idea Mickey! I nominate Joana!

message 4: by Joana (last edited Mar 10, 2016 10:49AM) (new)

Joana Arruda | 3 comments Hi, friends! I'm currently in a tumultuous relationship with my thesis, so I apologize for just picking a book now!

The book I've chosen for our first ever discussion is "Nine Hills to Nambonokaha" by Sarah Erdman. It's a young woman's memoir that chronicles her time in the Ivory Coast, where she served as a health worker in the Peace Corps in the 1990s. I think (hope) this caters to everyone's interests. It's really well-written, has a bit of history, and has great conversations about Western conceptions of science and local African traditions and how Erdman often had trouble reconciling the two. I hope you guys like it!

message 5: by Liana (new)

And we have an excellent choice by the one and only, Joana Arruda! <3

Let's get the book, start reading, and plan to discuss by May 1 at some point!

I like the idea of picking a choice 2 weeks before the new month begins to give everyone time to get the book. Once the nominee for the month chooses a book, they can also choose the next person. Thoughts?

message 6: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Kowaleski (mick_mak) | 4 comments Love it! Who's got the next pick?

message 7: by Joana (new)

Joana Arruda | 3 comments Yays! Sounds good, Liana. I pick you next!

message 8: by Liana (new)

Another rule: you must choose the other person like you're choosing a Pokemon. Okay, just kidding, this is getting out of hand.

message 9: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Kowaleski (mick_mak) | 4 comments HAHAHAH I was just about to comment that, dammit liana!

message 10: by Joana (new)

Joana Arruda | 3 comments LIANNAAAA, I CHOOSEEE YOUUUUUU!

(Liana had to explain the Pokemon reference to me. Now you know I'm not as cool as I seem. I'M NOT EVEN SORRY.)

message 11: by Liana (new)

MUHAHAHA. I just may have to follow this one myself....

message 12: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Kowaleski (mick_mak) | 4 comments Should we be reading this now or nah

message 13: by Liana (new)

Yes! :)

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia | 1 comments I ordered the book! A little late...but I'm excited to read it.

message 15: by Liana (new)

Yay!!