What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Architect of Evil Houses

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen O’Grady | 10 comments I'm looking for a novel written at least fifteen to twenty years ago. It's about a couple who get to know an architect who it, develops, has an unfortunate habit for developing houses that tend to kill people. My recollection is hazy, but I believe they end up killing the architect at the end of the novel to prevent any further bloodshed.

I've looked around, and as best I can tell from reviews and summaries, The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons isn't what I'm looking for, though I could be mistaken because I believe one of the main characters did backtracking and determine the author had a history of this (unbeknownst to him).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32130 comments Mod
Stephen, do any of the books similar to The House Next Door look familiar - https://www.goodreads.com/book/simila... ?

What's the time period and location?

Does the story describe other houses built by the architect in much detail?

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen O’Grady | 10 comments @Kris: I don't see anything in there that looks like it, unfortunately. As for period and location, it was contemporary whenever it was published - so 80's or 90's, best guess. It was definitely set in the US, and I want to say somewhere in the East though that part could be mistaken.

They don't describe the other houses in any great detail. They come up as background research. The couple gets to know and befriends the architect, there are some unfortunate and unusual accidents associated with the construction, and as a result the wife of the couple (I believe) does some backtracking and determines that this is (unknown to the architect) a habit.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Smart House: A Charlie and Constance Mystery has some elements, but it was written earlier than your book.

message 5: by Deanne (last edited May 07, 2016 06:28AM) (new)

Deanne Devine | 156 comments I think in The House Next Door they did research the architect and found that bad things happened in his other buildings, and he was clueless about them. I've listed some events that I remember from the book in the following spoilers - does anything ring a bell? (view spoiler)

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen O’Grady | 10 comments @Kate: thanks for the guess! no computers in the one i'm looking for, but appreciate the suggestion.

@Deanne: there do seem to be some parallels, and as that's looking like the best guess at this point I'll have to give it a read although there's other parts that lead me to believe it's not the one I'm looking for. We'll see though, thanks!

message 7: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Devine | 156 comments Good luck! I read it a LONG time ago, but I must have liked it...at least enough to remember a few bits of it. Stephen King wrote about it in Danse Macabre.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 176 comments I'm pretty sure that the architect did not die at the end of The House Next Door.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Stephen, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen O’Grady | 10 comments @Lobstergirl: have not found this yet, no. alas.

message 11: by Cycad (new)

Cycad | 109 comments Actually, the architect (view spoiler)

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments What’s the spoiler there?

message 13: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Devine | 156 comments I am not sure what Cycad's spoiler was, but I believe it might have been this: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori | 73 comments Stephen wrote: "@Lobstergirl: have not found this yet, no. alas."

Did you read The House Next Door? Because it does sound like it from what you have written.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Still looking for this?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Can you rule out Burnt Offerings?

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Can you rule out Burnt Offerings?"

I've read it; and I'm fairly sure that it's not what they're looking for. There's no architect in it.