The Armchair Traveler's Club discussion

Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice: An Ethnobotanist Searches for New Medicines in the Rain Forest
This topic is about Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice
3/4-4/24/16 - Brazil > Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice: An Ethnobotanist Searches for New Medicines in the Rain Forest * discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments What do you think so far?

Monica | 51 comments This was an easy, enjoyable read. The subject matter was fascinating. I washable to envision the jungle setting's sights and sounds, as well as the characters who played parts in his many journies to the region. Learned a lot.

Monica | 51 comments This book, or aspects of it, (for the historical references the author makes), should be on a required reading list for middle or high school- aged children. Would be valuable in teaching the contrasting views of history.

I found the book so important that, as a 2nd grade teacher, I'm going to include the children's picture book with the similar to title: The Shamans Apprentice, in my lessons about rain forest habitat.

Monica | 51 comments Note: The picture book I referred to is The Shaman's Apprentice by Lynne Cherry.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 17 comments Is this book nonfiction?

Monica | 51 comments Yes!

message 7: by Ruth (last edited Apr 25, 2016 01:31AM) (new)

Ruth | 673 comments I haven't seen the picture book Monica, is it a rehash of the same story oriented towards kids? Or a completely different story?

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 17 comments It sounds interesting.

Monica | 51 comments The picture book for children was co- authored by Mark Plotkin himself and is based on a true story of a Tirio Indian.

Monica | 51 comments I knew Lynne Cherry for The Great Kapok Tree, a popular, picturesque picture book used for habitat lessons on the rain forest. Now, having read Mark Plotkin's book, I'm elated to find that he worked with Lynne Cherry on the picture book called The Shamans Apprentice.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments Enjoying this book so far and wishing I was traveling down the amazon...kind of... maybe like wishing I was traveling down the Amazon in a bug proof suit?

Monica | 51 comments Lol. Yes, what an amazing challenge a trip to the Amazon would be!