What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Young girl discovers unnatural control over fire [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Connolly | 3 comments I have been desperately searching for the name of this book for a while now (and embarrassingly I can’t remember any of the character names either). I read it back in middle school or early high school, so sometime between 2000 and 2004, and I believe the series has 4 books in it (possibly 5). I do know that when I read the first and second book the third book had not yet been published but the cover art had already been released. I will describe the book as best I can without spoilers…
COVER: A young woman with black hair seems to be dancing surrounded by fire
SETTING: Fictional location, similar to Arabic/Middle Eastern, the location in book 1 is only part of a larger world
PLOT: A young girl is being raised by her mother, a prostitute. The girl acts as the “advertiser” for her mother. One day a man, far wealthier than any other customer before, asks to be taken to see her mother. He has a brief conversation with the girl’s mother in the tent, and when he emerges the girl is informed that she will be leaving with the man. She is told that it will better her life.
She is taken to the palace where it turns out that the wealthy man is the King (of sorts). From then on she is raised as a servant in the palace. It is here that she befriends the young prince and learns that she has an odd control over all of the fires she comes across. The culture is VERY superstitious and does not like any magic so she must keep her powers a secret.
As she grows up she learns how to control her powers to the point where she can see people in the fire and communicate with them. After years of service at the palace her powers are discovered and she must flee. She goes to the sacred mountain, so sacred no one is supposed to go there. It is here that she meets a dragon, who tells her that she is part of a group of people that can control the elements.
If you need more info just let me know and I will see what I can remember.

I appreciate any help!!

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) This sounds rather like Enna Burning by Shannon Hale. Sorry I can't give you the click.

message 3: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1217 comments Here's a clicky.
Enna Burning

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32230 comments Mod
On Fire's Wings by Christie Golden seems to match your description. A reviewer on Amazon says, "Arukan is a...harsh world made up of castes with the baseborn children belonging nowhere and reduced to begging or prostitution to obtain food and shelter. Kevla Bai-Sha finds men for her mother to have sex with until a lord of the highest caste brings him into her home as a handmaiden to his wife Yeshi... Kevla discovers her role as a fire element..."

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Connolly | 3 comments Thank you both so much! This has been driving me mad for almost a full week! I thought I was the only one who had read it! Thank you, thank you!!!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Which one is your book?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Connolly | 3 comments The one you mentioned "On Fire's Wings". Thank you so much for your help. The inability to remember the name of that book was driving me crazy. Hahaha

message 8: by Kris (new)

Great, glad we could help!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Enna Burning (other topics)
On Fire's Wings (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Christie Golden (other topics)