The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Seven Storey Mountain
This topic is about The Seven Storey Mountain
Prior Discussions > 2. Discuss Merton's communal perspective

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Seymour | 1808 comments Mod
2. Discuss Merton's communal perspective in which he promotes the notion that all men share the blame for all the evils in the world—from the poverty of Harlem to the atrocities of World War II.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 640 comments The corollary is that we also share praise for all the good in the world. Sure, I believe our lives are all intertwined and affect each other. We are part of a committed Christian community and can't imagine living without that. But I find it a little curious coming from someone who had NO positive experience of community in his family (see below), schools, neighborhoods... I guess that speaks to a deep hunger we all have and to God's plan to save us together, not just individually.

John Seymour | 1808 comments Mod
And yet Merton post conversion seems drawn to an extreme solitude. The individual soul in communion with God, though in the context of a monastery in which the individual is submerged into the communal.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 640 comments Yes. His baptism/first communion is also singularly solitary, not like becoming part of God's family. Nevertheless a very moving experience, clearly experiencing that Jesus would have died if Merton were the only sinner in the world in need of his sacrifice.