Operation Book Club discussion

BOOK 12: Lamb

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 111 comments Mod
Here's the discussion thread for 'Lamb' by Christopher Moore. Discussion day is this Sunday, March 6.

I have a confession, guys: this is the first Operation Book Club book that none of your moderators got around to reading. I do apologize for that! All this means is that discussion questions are up to you guys. (I can also google some, if you want, but those always tend to be kind of bad questions.) Or, you can just do a freestyle question-less discussion. It's up to you! Again, sorry about that!!

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 42 comments Mod
Sorry book club! I made it about 180 pages but I just couldn't get into Lamb at all. Personally I didn't connect with any of the characters, I wasn't interested enough in them or the plot to keep reading and find out what happened, and I didn't find the writing style grabbed me. I thought the humour was more irreverent than actually funny and at times it was overly juvenile (even for a story with a pre-teen boy as the main character). I do give them points for creativity since it's certainly not an idea that I've seen before, but for me it just didn't work at all. I will say that I have some close friends who absolutely love this book so obviously it clicks with some people. I definitely think it helps to come from a religious background since I'm certain I missed references and jokes by not being raised in a church-going household.

message 3: by Hana (new)

Hana (hana_banana) | 24 comments did not finish the bookclub assignment again, sorry. i think i would eventually have finished it, given time, but the story wasn't gripping enough to get me going. copy-pasting my review here:

>>>rather forgettable really. it had a few good ideas, and the author obviously wanted readers to like the narrator, but sometimes it felt like he was trying too hard. points for biff trying to be a good friend--he was sincere in that respect, i think--but as a whole, i think the work would benefit from the narrator sounding less like "i'm levi, the boy next door. i can be a bit of a jackass but i'm likeable!"<<<

things i liked:

1. the premise. whatever happened to jesus in the times he was 13 to 33yo?!--that's a very interesting premise. in the book, we get to see his "training" or his seeking out of the three wise men in his birth to discover what it means to be the messiah. so obviously, the jesus here was intended to be a very human and relatable son of man who gets confused sometimes and irritated at his father.

2. inoffensive, at least in the religious sense, but this is in my humble opinion. i had an inkling that the book would be a butchering of jesus, the personality and christianity, the religion, but it surprisingly wasn't. the jesus i've been taught remains to be the all-loving, all-forgiving persona i've grown up with--he just had some awkward stages. not at one point did i feel attacked about my religion, nor did i feel that it was trying to attack other religions (ok, the hinduism part was a very thin line).

3. the idea that jesus' training was a mix of taoism, buddhism, and his own catholicism--that's new.

things i didn't like:

1. the casual mentions of sodomizing animals and raping women. and while we're at it, biff should stop having the hots for mary. seriously though, is there any decent work out there that does not objectify women? i know--time period, whatever--but in a story about a resurrected apostle writing a new book of gospel, it shouldn't be too hard to try harder.

2. as chelsea said, the humour fell short. i can't fully describe it, but it felt like the author was trying too hard. i'm reminded of one of our first bookclub assignments "mr. penumbra's 24hr bookstore" which had some pretty nifty ideas but lacked proper execution. i think the same can be applied here. i remember the instances when the narrator mentions some of his new discoveries that eventually gained popularity in the modern world--coffee, jew-do, yoga, kama sutra--and i suppose these things were meant to be funny or make biff clever but they just... didn't.

3. slow pacing--for a book crunching 20 years in 400 pages, the pacing still felt slow, or maybe it was the dullness of the prose. yes, it was definitely the dullness of the prose. i've only got 70 pages left to read in this book, and in that time it has never made me laugh loudly or made my heart ache. it was sort of just "there", and i think if this wasn't a book club assignment, or if i hadn't felt guilty for not finishing the previous assignment, i wouldn't have soldiered on as long as i have.