Play Book Tag discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
Archive: Other Books > Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1588 comments Claire Randall is vacationing with her husband Frank in Scotland after World War Two and trying to rekindle her marriage after many years apart. Claire is picking plants in a stone circle when she travels through a time portal and ends up in Scotland in the 1700's. Claire soon becomes involved in life of the time and finds herself attracted to Jamie Fraser. For the first half or so of the book I was fairly into the story then Jaime does something that really ticked me off and made me almost stop reading the book. It doesn't help that it takes Claire all of five seconds to forgive him. That just made me rather annoyed with the whole romance angle for quite awhile. There's also the fact that I thought of several ways Claire could have got back to the stone circle early in the book to see if she could indeed travel back to her own time, of course if she did that no more series, end of story, but the ease with which Claire just slips into life in the 1700's and the fact she barely seems to think about her old life really jarred at me. I'm still somewhat interested in the characters but am not sure if I will bother to read any more books in the series.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments If you were not crazy about this one (like I was!!) then you should definitely not carry on. The second book is SO BORING and it took a lot for me to get through. The third book picked up though and I am looking forward to reading the fourth book soon.

However, you should watch the show Outlander on Starz....the scenery (landscape and eye-candy) is great!

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3832 comments My mom is obsessed with these books and the series. I've tried to read Outlander so many times, but can't seem to get past the first 100 pages. She keeps saying how you have to get "past the hump" before you get INTO the series- but the series is so long!!! Is this how anyone else felt? I can't decide if it's worth trying to pick up again.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Joi wrote: "She keeps saying how you have to get "past the hump" before you get INTO the series..."

HAHA, I find this an ironic choice of wording for the Outlander books....there are MANY "humps" ;)

Karin | 7360 comments I agree with Nicole. This was just a three star like for me (had I been rating books at the time) and I've heard her advice from others who have either loved or not liked the rest of the series. I only read this one.

message 6: by Tien (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 730 comments I read the series a very long time ago and I barely remember them except for this first book which I vaguely remember loving but that's probably because I edited out the boring parts out of my head lol. The series adaptation is, as Nicole said? YUM! ;)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Tien, when season two starts background up we will DEFINITELY have a footnotes discussion thread :)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I distinctly remember reading this book when I was on a break from college or grad school. At the time, I loved it. I even picked up the second book, but I didn't finish it (I think because school started again).

Then when I found out about the Starz series, I decided to re-read it. My second time through I didn't love. Part of that is that romance books don't appeal to me as much in general. I did still liked some of the historical detail with Claire's medical background.

I do think that the series is well done --- especially the casting of Claire and Jamie.

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed the first novel but found the second boring. I somehow made it through and the end was somewhat redeeming. I think I will give the third a go at some stage. I love the tv series. The actor who plays Black Jack does an amazing job - he's awful!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie, i am totally with you on the second book, I barely got through it. I will say the third book was much better and made me want to read the fourth one

Susie | 4488 comments It's in my ever growing TBR pile, which incidentally had trebled since joining this group!!!

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments I loved the first book, more so than I expected to. However, I may never be able to make it through book 2 and onto the rest of the series.

message 13: by Denizen (new) - added it

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments It's been on the TBR for such a long time. I wish I knew which camp I would fall into as it will be quite a time commitment. Life is too short for a 700+ page book that turns out to be a 3 star read.

message 14: by Jenni Elyse (new) - added it

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1414 comments Denizen wrote: "It's been on the TBR for such a long time. I wish I knew which camp I would fall into as it will be quite a time commitment. Life is too short for a 700+ page book that turns out to be a 3 star read."

Same here. I want to read them, but I'm worried I won't like them. I guess the only thing we can do is read the first one and see, lol.

message 15: by annapi (last edited Mar 08, 2016 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 5130 comments I read them long ago, and I loved them back then. My least favorite was book 3, Voyager, because I didn't like the character of Brianna. But I continue to read them and so far I have enjoyed them all (Brianna gets less annoying eventually, though I never felt invested in her as a character). Unfortunately, the scale of the books is so huge that after taking a break from reading them and then going back, I have forgotten a lot of the minor characters so in the latest books I floundered a bit trying to remember who was who and what had happened before. Ideally I would like to binge read the whole series one after another, but the idea is daunting.

And I am quite enjoying the TV series! Despite the fact that Jamie should be a bigger guy, Sam does so great a job that he has become Jamie for me.