Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Author Chat! > How have others handle free book giveaways?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G.L. (new)

G.L. Wilson | 5 comments Hi all

I think I made the mistake of going with KDP select on Amazon and am therefore limited to 5 giveaway days in 90 - tough if you simply want to build up a a readership

Are there others in this position? How have you managed the 5 free days? Is it best to trail single days or go for a five day blitz?

Hoping to hear from anyone out there with experience handling this situation.

Thanks.

GW.

message 2: by Briana (new)

Briana Michaels | 38 comments I do one-day or two-day giveaways through KDP and I blast that sucker EVERYWHERE!!!! It is tough though, because if people don't jump on it immediately, they miss the window. The good news is, you can always do a shout out on twitter, FB, Goodreads saying "Did you miss the free download? That's okay, another one is coming soon!" and have them sign up for your email or like your FB page for updates. =-)

And if you want to send out a free ebook to a reader for review or something, just make an epub file or mobi file to send to them through their email. I hope that helps!! Good luck!

message 3: by Jim (last edited Mar 12, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic I participated in two Goodreads sponsored giveaways spaced two years apart. Participation in the first was limited to residents of the United States. The second was limited to residents of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The first attracted 1,027 participants and the second 1,513.

I was cautioned by the publisher who generously provided the 15 paperback copies of the book offered as prizes that giveaways seldom, if ever, generate a dramatic increase in sales. That proved correct in each case. However, I believe they did provide exposure to a wider and more diversified reading audience that may not otherwise have ever been aware of the book's existence. The winners came from countries that included 12 different states within the United States, Ontario, Canada and Cumbria and Norfolk in Great Britain.

message 4: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments I'll be honest. The books that I win, I do write a review and post it on my blog, Amazon, and Goodreads. I'm not sure if it helps you guys or not.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread