What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 1960s /1970s childrens book, spiral bound had cut pages so you could mix the pictures of people up.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments This book was small, shorter than a paper back. It had no words and was spiral bound. It was a childrens book and I would guess it was from the 60s or early 70s. Each page had a person on it, the page was cut beneath the shoulders and again at the waist so you could mix the people up. It could have been people in costume from around the world or peoples professions. The illustrations were painted in a realistic way. I remember the day I got home from school and it had been thrown away, I was so sad, it was one of my favourite possessions. I would love to be able to see it again.

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) I remember one like that, but with monsters or something. Maybe there was a series.

message 3: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments I think it's kind of a genre, but I'm not sure the official name. I see them described as "mix and match" (or "mix or match" or "mix 'em up" etc.) or "flip" books (although not to be confused with the animated drawing flip books). I had one with funny animals, probably from the 60s/70s as well. I'm sorry that I can't identify the one you're seeking, but maybe searching "mix and match" etc. will help? Both etsy and eBay seem to have copies of vintage books of this sort.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments My brother had one like this with Superman, assorted Superman villains, and then Superman defeating the villains in various ways.

message 5: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) Thanks for your advice, Nancy. I really didn't know how to go about searching for if.

message 6: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) Hilary, I typed mix and match into the Goodreads search bar and lots of titles came up. I couldn't find my book, although I did find a similar one. Maybe you might find yours this way?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
https://www.etsy.com/listing/23654137...

Here's one from etsy, obviously not your book as it's much more recent.

Hilary, is the style of illustration shown here similar to the one you had? Was yours full body as opposed to from the chest or shoulders up?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Go onto Amazon, go into books, click on Advanced Search, and use different search terms as keywords, such as "mix and match", "flip book" etc. Use the year limiter, e.g. specify "before 1975" or whatever year you feel comfortable with.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments The ones I am aware of don't match your description (too large and have words) but I'll throw them out anyway just in case. There was one with mythological creatures called Hit or Myth (and another in that series called More Hit or Myth) by James Riddell, and another couple by Kent Salisbury called Tell a Tall Tale, and Ask a Silly Question.

message 10: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "https://www.etsy.com/listing/23654137...

Here's one from etsy, obviously not your book as it's much more recent.

Hilary, is the style of illustration..."
Thanks for suggestions, the style of illustration was more realistic, not comical and was a full body, head to feet.

message 11: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Go onto Amazon, go into books, click on Advanced Search, and use different search terms as keywords, such as "mix and match", "flip book" etc. Use the year limiter, e.g. specify "before 1975" or wh..."

Thanks will keep trying that, hadn't thought how I could search for it but 'mix and match' is a good way of describing it.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Hilary, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 13: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments Still looking !

message 14: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4162 comments Did you read it in the 70s? I was looking at 729 Puzzle People but it is from bit later and has some text.

message 15: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments Thanks Ayshe, it was the 70's so I expect it was printed early 70's or before, but just the same idea as this one. Very similar actually so I wonder if the Helen Oxenbury had been inspired by the one I read?

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Hilary ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 176 where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 17: by Kris (last edited Aug 26, 2019 08:36AM) (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
"8192 Quite Crazy People in One Book" by Walter Trier?

- "For children from 5 and under to 75 and over." Each page is divided into three parts designed to interchange with other pages to form different combinations of characters.
- 32 pages, all color illustrations, 18 cm
- Subject: Wit and humor, Juvenile. German wit and humor, Pictorial. Toy and movable books.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/8192-q...

Here's one cover image on Abe Books - https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...

message 18: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments Thank you Kris, I don't think it was this one though.

message 19: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments Kate wrote: "Hilary ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 176 where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the g..."

Thanks Kate, will remember to do this from time to time!