The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Under the Dome
This topic is about Under the Dome
Buddy-Reads > Summer 2014-Under the Dome

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey guys! This is where our buddy read for Under the Dome will be at. I can't wait to start this this Summer! ^_^

Roseanne | 1209 comments yeah! so excited. Was going to ask when you were going to start reading. I am thinking the end of May.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) That'd be great or I may start it when under the dome season 2 comes on CBS in June.

Roseanne | 1209 comments that sounds like a good idea

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yep. :-)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) So who all is participating with me in this buddy read? let me know. ^_^

message 7: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I will! Although I'll probably get round to it in July time.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome Holly and that's fine. :)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments I really should try to get a copy and read it. Watched the show (season 1) and loved it. Waiting for Season 2 to start, the first episode of which King wrote.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) awesome CaptKirk. feel free to join us. ^_^

Roseanne | 1209 comments I got my copy this morning. I am ready to go for June. :)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) So Under the Dome season 2 actually starts on June 30 on CBS so if you guys want to start before then that month, let me know.

message 13: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

I'll probably only get onto it in July, or August.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome Holly. That's fine! Start whenever you can this summer. :)

message 15: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited May 14, 2014 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments bought a copy of the paperback (larger mass media sized I think) from Ebay for under $5 + Free Shipping. It is currently en route to me. Been seeing the ads on CBS when I watch the NCIS shows, CSI, Hawaii Five-0 and Unforgettable. So I should be able to start reading it before Season 2 of the show starts.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome CaptKirk! Feel free to join us. :)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Amber wrote: "Awesome CaptKirk! Feel free to join us. :)"

Thanks I will/am. It will probably take me most of June to read it since it's 1,000+ pages. Will probably put my personal reading challenge behind a few books :(

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) okay i'm sorry about that.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Amber wrote: "okay i'm sorry about that."

No reason to be sorry it will be my problem not yours. :)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments My copy arrived. Yay!

Roseanne | 1209 comments So excited about this one. I plan on starting towards the middle of June. I also anticipate it taking a while to read so I expect to still be reading it in July.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yay CaptKirk! :) and awesome Roseanne. I might start the week before Under the Dome season 2 starts on June 30 that month and might be reading it in July too. The tv series is pretty good though but my mom says the book was better.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments The TV series is part of why I want to read the book. I got hooked on the series and want to see what all was changed, deleted, extended for the series.

I am tempted to start reading it in the next few days or starting over this weekend since I know it will take me a while to read. I might have to have a couple of small quick reads ready to keep my reading challenge on track. I might be reading it into July as well.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) awesome captkirk! :)

message 25: by Sandy (last edited May 24, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Sandy This sounds like a great summer read, but I normally avoid "horror" (because my vivid imagination keeps me awake at night). I think I will just follow the discussion to get an idea of everyone's impression of the story before I decide whether or not to read it.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) okay awesome Sandy! I decided to check it out cuz saw the cbs show which was good.

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Amber wrote: "okay awesome Sandy! I decided to check it out cuz saw the cbs show which was good."

Maybe I should give the TV show a try.

Roseanne | 1209 comments I haven't seen the Tv show and I am not sure I will ever watch it. I don't really watch Tv. I am not a big fan of horror either but I just love Stephen King.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) def check it out Sandy. I think season 1 of it is on dvd already but season 2 airs on June 30th. and Roseanne it is pretty different than the book and in season 2 Stephen King wrote the first episode for this upcoming episode and him with Steven Spielberg executive produce the show.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Well I have taken the first step into this dark world under the dome. Just started reading today only a handful of pages so far.

My current reading challenge status is one book ahead I'm sure with this lengthy book that will change. If I start seeing it slip too much I have some shorter books I can crank out hopefully in 3 or 4 days to get back on track.

message 31: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Jun 04, 2014 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Anybody else start yet?

I'm almost at page 100 (widget says I'm at 9%)will probably be just a little past 100 later tonight.

My overall reading challenge widget says I am "on track", but I have a feeling I'm going to have to rely on you guys to help me through some of the rough patches with this giant tome.

message 32: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments I have just started reading this one Captkirk.. Still in the initial pages but hope to make a major dent into it by tomorrow :)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I don't think I am going to get to this one until the third week of June. If I can get to it sooner I will. I am in the middle of another big book right now.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I won't get into this one until prob third week of June as well. Trying to get some read for review books done and got the last two chaos walking books by Patrick ness so got to get them out of the way first. will search for it my next library trip when I have to take them back.

message 35: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments Am about 44% into the book and it is really interesting. Love the way the author has written about the psychology and mindset of the people of that town, especially given their current situation.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I have not started on this yet. I want to but am busy with my reading so if I can't get to it this month, i'll get to it before the year is out.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Srividya wrote: "Am about 44% into the book and it is really interesting. Love the way the author has written about the psychology and mindset of the people of that town, especially given their current situation."
Getting into the characters heads and hearing their thoughts and reactions to events in the story is why I usually try to read the book before any TV series or Movie. In this case I head about the book after I heard the TV series was coming around. I got into the TV series and wanted to eventually get the book to read it. When this "buddy read" popped up it gave me that motivation to get the book and start the read.

I'm only 22% into it according to my widget (and I am now 1 book behind in my reading challenge). I'm not sure how this book is usually labeled genre wise, King is known for his Horror, this one is more mystery suspense than it is "horror".

message 38: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments @Captkirk - Sorry for the late reply - but somehow never got a notification for this thread :(

And yes it is more mystery suspense than Horror. Also it is extremely insightful into the psyche of human beings when they are faced with a crisis like this. I am really enjoying the manner in which King has taken human psychology at its core and woven a story around the different characters. However, it is a slow read. not something that you can finish at a stretch for there are parts that make you want to stop and ponder, while at the same time wanting to finish it. Am not sure if that makes sense but that is how I feel while reading this book. At present I am not reading it so progress is the same. Will get back to it over the weekend. Hope to finish it soon.

Roseanne | 1209 comments I just started today. Must say King is one of my favorites. I am really looking forward to this one. I have not seen the tv show and probably wont watch it.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Current update on page 400 (37% through)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I am 5% through. I am a little confused at the point.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Now on page 453.

Even though I took the book w/me on my vacation I didn't read any of it while on vacation.

Roseanne | 1209 comments I am only 10% done. I was on hold for something else at the library and it came up. So I am on hold for now since I bought this one.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Update: on page 555 (51%).

Also enjoying season 2 of the TV series Monday Nights.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I am enjoying the Under the dome tv series too. :)

message 46: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

I doubt I'm going to get to this this summer. However, I hope you guys enjoy it!

message 47: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I'm enjoying the TV series and toying with the idea of reading the book, but it won't be until late this year if I do. Is the book relatively similar in plot points to the series?

Roseanne | 1209 comments I am not watching the show so I am not sure how it differs. I am still only 10% done. I got side tracked by books that I was on hold for at the library. I am hoping to get back to it by next week. Is anyone still reading.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'm watching the show with my mom and the second season is veering from the book entirely, I'm still enjoying it though. I haven't read this book yet but plan to before the end of the year. Just been busy with my first ever book club I created recently called the Reading for Pleasure book club and more plus got other reads to get through first.

message 50: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Jul 17, 2014 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments Enjoying both on page 597 (55%)
Yes the TV show veers away from the book from the get go. Some of the fates of characters are completely different from book to show. Part of the variation is intentional to open up the story lines so the show wouldn't be limited to just an 8-12 hour long mini-series (that is just a guestimate for a possible length I don't know what they consider a reasonable length for a mini series).

An interesting difference is contact between the outside world and Chester's Mill (I hope I don't give too much away here)- In the book cell phone service is still available as is the internet, landlines are cut off. In the show there is no phones, limited cell? No internet.

The Dome itself in the show people on the two sides of the dome (inside/outside)can't hear each other, in the book they can speak to each other it is a little muffled but they can hear each other, the show they can't.

« previous 1