Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading March 2016?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Crispy crap on a cracker, my mind totally blanked on it being March.

message 2: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I am 49 percent into Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick which is supposed to be this fantastic read, but it is boring! Going back-and-forth to school day every, going to bio class, going to see the psychologist, going to the library going to the arcade, going to the amusement park, going out for pizza, going to eat red burritos -- geez!

message 3: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes Going to be a strange month I think. A bit of everything hopefully.

Right now I'm finishing Eucalyptus and Eleanor & Park. I also just started Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened and picked up This Is How You Lose Her from the library. I'm hoping to be close to half done all of my challenges by the end of the month.

message 4: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I have been and will be reading Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, the textbook for my Life Sciences class. I have not picked up a casual read in weeks, due to school and school (aka work). If I'm not working at school, I'm studying for school.

Finals are next month, and then I get to start again for the summer, but it will be all study-related and not work-related, of course.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MadameZelda wrote: "I am 49 percent into Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick which is supposed to be this fantastic read, but it is boring! Going back-and-forth to school day every, going to bio class, going to see the psy..."

Please use text links, not bookcovers. Thanks!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm completely slacking in the reading dept. I'm almost 3/4 through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire but I'm moving at a snail's pace. It is rather pathetic.

message 7: by Elise (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:39AM) (new)

Elise This is not going to be my month. I cannot get any of the March books from FoF or AE at my library. So I thought I'd get to the next book in The Lunar Chronicles series. I have read Cinder and Scarlet in Dutch, because they were only available in Dutch. And now I find out that the publisher stopped publishing the books! So they translated the first two and then just quit!
It seems that I will be forced to read some books that I bought some time ago but never got around to reading...
EDIT: So I did not start a book I already owned.... I picked up Wayward at the library!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Elise wrote: "It seems that I will be forced to read some books that I bought some time ago but never got around to reading..."

The NERVE of your library making you read books you already bought! LOL

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I picked up a copy of Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened from my library and I'm LOVING it.

So I decided to buy a copy... :-D

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments My copy of Riverworld (To Your Scattered Bodies Go) is still on reserve at the library.

message 11: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I picked up a copy of Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened from my library and I'm LOVING it.

So I decide..."

I haven't read the book, but I've read her web stuff, and she's great.

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Elise wrote: "EDIT: So I did not start a book I already owned.... I picked up Wayward at the library! "

I watched the mini-series based on that. It was pretty cool. Don't know how well it follows, though.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I started Gunpowder Alchemy today as my gym book.

I'm also rereading Magician's Ward for a fun diversion as I wait for my next round of library books to come in.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I loved Hyperbole And A Half. Didn't like the Wayward Pines stuff though. But I only read book 1. So... *shrug*

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments OMG.

I FINALLY decided to put The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet out of its misery and kill it.

I'm done. It's too freaking long for her to keep saying the same damn things over and over again.

message 16: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I am reading Daughters of the Samurai: A Journey from East to West and Back, which has been really interesting so far. I also got Calamity out of the library, so I will likely start that soon.

message 17: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Unsurprisingly, I'm still onOutlaws of the Marsh. Almost finished volume II of IV.

Also still reading Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires, which is a little unusual for me but I'm quite enjoying reading about the Mafia.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Hi folks! I have been doing painfully little reading this year... Actually, ever since I started my first full time job last June. However, I have hope. I'm moving later this month and I plan on creating a nice little reading nook for myself. I also won't have cable for the first time in my life, so instead of watching countless hours of Chopped maybe I'll read more.

...Although I'll be busy with moving & once that's settled I have a wedding to plan. Neither of those take up too much time, right? ;)

What I have been reading I'm really enjoying. I'm listening to Welcome to Night Vale on Audible. 12 hours of Night Vale?!? Gimme gimme!

message 19: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi folks! I have been doing painfully little reading this year... Actually, ever since I started my first full time job last June. However, I have hope. I'm moving later this month and I plan on cr..."

Congratulations!

message 20: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 135 comments Am right now reading Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and Severance Package by Duane Swierczynski, and have three group reads this month, including The Terror by Dan Simmons. All this with a full-time job and something almost resembling a social life. Wish me luck?

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Hi folks! I have been doing painfully little reading this year... Actually, ever since I started my first full time job last June. However, I have hope. I'm moving later this month an..."

Why thank you! :D

message 22: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Congrats, Jenny :)

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Chris wrote: "Congrats, Jenny :)"

Thanks Chris! I was literally just thinking of you- long time, no talk! I continue to not be as active as I'd like on Goodreads. It was a lot easier when I worked a midnight job with lots of downtime.

message 24: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Yeah, I've missed talking to you. Full time jobs are really a pain in the ass, interfering with reading and Goodreads time.

message 25: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments I picked up Welcome to Night Vale and then realized it was based on a podcast. I love podcasts so I downloaded them. I got through 4 episodes and didn't like it so I tossed the book (for now) and deleted the podcasts. Does it take a bit to get into?

I'm still like a chapter until the end of Sorcerer's Stone but for some reason I don't want to finish it. Not sure what that's about.

My husband talked me into The Way of Kings which I have been enjoying. Hopefully I actually finish this one instead of peter out on it like all my other books as of late.

message 26: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Felina wrote: "I picked up Welcome to Night Vale and then realized it was based on a podcast. I love podcasts so I downloaded them. I got through 4 episodes and didn't like it so I tossed the book (for now) and deleted the podcasts. Does it take a bit to get into?"

Boo! I picked up the book after you mentioned it.

message 27: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 27 comments Felina wrote: "I picked up Welcome to Night Vale and then realized it was based on a podcast. I love podcasts so I downloaded them. I got through 4 episodes and didn't like it so I tossed the book..."

I found Night Vale purposefully weird, to the point where I didn't think it was making any sense, just being surreal for the sake of it. That said, I know people who love and adore it so think it's just one of those things that appeals to you or very much does not.

message 28: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments Sorry Colleen! :( I was enjoying the book but the podcast was so weird that I started to wonder where the book was going. I haven't definitely DNF'd it but I'm liking Way of Kings better so for now...yeah.

Good to know, Leo. I have a friend who loves the podcast and the book. The book was going well but the podcast was just weird. And there are horrible songs on the podcast. Like made up bad songs. They were embarrassing.

message 29: by alansplace (last edited Mar 13, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

alansplace | 38 comments Book #19 of the Leaphorn/Chee Mysteries, Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman, daughter of Tony Hillerman. This is the first Leaphorn/Chee mystery that Anne has written (she's since written another, Rock With Wings as well) and I detect the same feel to them as existed in her Dad's writing.
Spider Woman's Daughter (Navajo Mysteries, #19) by Anne Hillerman Rock with Wings by Anne Hillerman
--
Alan :)

message 30: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Congrats, Jenny :)

James, be interested to see what you make of Red Seas Under Red Skies. A few people seemed a little cool about it, but (from fuzzy memory) I rather liked it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.