You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > April 2016 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments It's time to look at what theme we are going to have for the April group reads.

So if you have an idea for theme, go ahead and nominate it.

Alternatively, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations close 10th March

Theme Nominations:
- Flowers in the title
- Girl in the title
- Books adapted in to TV series/films
- Biographies & Memoirs

message 2: by Caecilia (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:27PM) (new)

Caecilia Saori :-) this post has been edited - you can find my seconding thread further below (seconding Lisa's nomination)

message 3: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Since it is almost spring and that is the time for flowers, I'd like to nominate books with the name of a flower in the title (for example Purple Hibiscus, Black Rose, Ice Rose: A Young Adult Spy Novel, Blue Dahlia, Dances with the Daffodils etc.).

message 4: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Following our discussion last week, I nominate books which contain 'girl' in the title.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I would like to nominate books that have been adapted into a film or tv series.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15365 comments Kirila wrote: "Following our discussion last week, I nominate books which contain 'girl' in the title."

I will second books with girl in the title.

(but I love the flower and movie adaptation suggestions too!)

message 7: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Great suggestions so far, I don't know what to pick yet...

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments @Caecilia - we actually has award/prize winners as our theme back in June last year and we try to not have the same theme for at least another year. I think we also had a monthly challenge just a couple months back on Goodreads Choice award winners and a week long toppler on award winners so I think we're all awarded out! Would you like to nominate something else instead?

@Kirila - I'm pleased you nominated that. I was tempted to but thought someone else was bound to after our chat. For those not involved in our little chat last week, On Goodreads' Facebook page, they linked to an article about books with the word "girl" in the title being very popular right now. Here's the link: http://www.bustle.com/articles/95878-...

message 9: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments I like the 'girl' nomination, too!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Great nominations!

I'll second "girl" in the title. (But I'll be happy with any of the others)

message 11: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori Sarah wrote: "@Caecilia - we actually has award/prize winners as our theme back in June last year and we try to not have the same theme for at least another year. I think we also had a monthly challenge just a c..."

oh, apologies :-) I will then wait a bit and second another member's nomination.

message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Caecilia wrote: "oh, apologies :-) I will then wait a bit and second another member's nomination"

Or think of another!

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14187 comments I'll second girl in the title, though I also like all the nominations so far.

message 14: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm going to second the girl in title as well.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second books adapted into TV series/films

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1098 comments I second "girl" in the title.

message 17: by Caecilia (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:27PM) (new)

Caecilia Saori Lisa wrote: "I would like to nominate books that have been adapted into a film or tv series."

I would like to second this idea :-) it also offers a lot of possibilities for the monthly theme reading challenge.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I also second the TV series suggestion!

message 19: by Tejas Janet (last edited Mar 05, 2016 09:24PM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I'll second name of flower in the title - specifically because I'd like to read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. And of yeah, there's also The Black Tulip.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Rashid | 137 comments I second the nomination of a flower in the title. A related idea would be flower(s) on the cover.

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 499 comments I'll second flowers in the title

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I'd like to second, books adapted into films/TV

message 23: by Fee (new)

Fee | 232 comments I just realized that there really are a lot of books out, with "girl" in the title. That is interesting.... I second this theme.

message 24: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments All very good theme suggestions. I love bios and memoirs but wanted to support another idea because my reading is already so high in bios and memoirs.

I often try to support other ideas so i'll meet new and unexpected books that I often like or love : )

message 25: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Maybe we could have a toppler that revolved around bios and memoirs sometime... hmm?

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "Maybe we could have a toppler that revolved around bios and memoirs sometime... hmm?"

I think Cherie mentioned over in the challenge/theme suggestions thread about a possible challenge on biographies/memoirs.

message 27: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Oh goodie, mmm, love that idea. Yes!

message 28: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I second the Books adapted in to TV series/films nomination for now, but I like ALL the nominations so far and would like to carry-over whatever isn't selected to next month :)

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather Morris | 125 comments Elsbeth wrote: "Since it is almost spring and that is the time for flowers, I'd like to nominate books with the name of a flower in the title (for example Purple Hibiscus, Black Rose, [b..."

I second (or third, or fourth - lol) flowers in the title. My line of thinking goes right along with Elsbeth and there are so many to choose from!

message 30: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  | 5 comments I have to agree with the flower topics because of spring or books that have something to do with water in the name/cover (a girl holding an umbrella)

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Welcome to YLTO Carolyn! Good to see you jumping in on the action. Just to let you know that it is one nomination/seconding per person. So would you like to second the flower nomination already put forward or would you like to nominate the water theme?

message 32: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  | 5 comments Oops sorry. Let's go with declining the flower then

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I think I'm being dense, but just to clarify Carolyn, you're no longer seconding the flower theme but nominating the water theme?!

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I second flowers in the title.

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Nominations have now closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.