Support for Indie Authors discussion

SIA Investigate > Spam Alert: Book Bastards

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hey everyone,
Just a heads up on yet another scam-tacular service. This one appears to be a 'friend from Goodreads' who 'loved the way you write and present your characters. I was excited when I read it' (grammar theirs, not mine). They appear to have added several of us to a mailing list that we did not sign up for. This is a violation of Mail Chimp's terms of service and they have been reported. Their acount is suspended and under investigation, but be cautious if you have received this email as well.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I keep getting an email from someone who says something similar, but they never respond if you message them back. I usually just ignore solicitations.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) There is a similar one here on Goodreads. They give you a drive by rating of fibe stars then send a message talking about how much they love your book and then give you a link to a trailer designer or something similar. We've had to kick a few of their bots out of the group.

My spam folder is full of crap like this, but i happened to notice this one came through because it was in the guise of a newsletter.

message 4: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Eurgh!
I seem to forever receive messages from those who have noticed my book online, and want to promote, blah blah blah.
But then that's why there's a delte button :-)

Thanks for the heads up.

message 5: by Ken (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:07AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Yeah, it was the name that put me on alert as soon as I saw it. If you have a legitimate business, why put a name on it that might piss off potential customers?

message 6: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 53 comments Book bastards? Was that really the name they were using?

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Yep. Really inviting, hm?

message 8: by Christina (last edited Mar 04, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) LOL! Okay, I rerread and realize that it kind of sounds like I'm calling them bastards. No, I promise you, they chose that name for themselves.

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Shame on you, Christina!!! :P

message 10: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 53 comments Christina wrote: "Yep. Really inviting, hm?"

Just what I was thinking. :-)

message 11: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Yes, I got one from them yesterday too.

message 12: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments Maybe it's lost in translation or something. Perhaps they meant to call themselves Book Pimps or something... ;->

message 13: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Eyre (rachaeleyre) | 192 comments That doesn't sound particularly tantalising either ...

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments Are you sure it wasn't "Book Hos"?

message 15: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments "Books Crooks"?

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Rovens | 8 comments Hm. Good to know.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 780 comments Ugh..why do such people have to exist? if it's not this it's trolls or people soliciting reviews..when will they ever learn..

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace Risata | 25 comments I like "book crooks." It was be a lot easier if everything was so transparent!
Emails from them would have a subject line with "Hey this is spam, just delete before reading and save yourself time."

message 19: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 161 comments I'm always leery of things like this. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

message 20: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 53 comments K.C. wrote: ""Books Crooks"?"

Book crooks. That could perhaps be a good name for a publication specialicing in mysteries or thrillers. Maybe with the slogan: We've got all the best crooks on paper.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments I received this as well! It's not the first time either. So annoying.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Maguire | 35 comments Luckily my email hasn't been harvested and I'm not getting these yet. I try not to put my email anywhere I don't have to though. One thing I do get that drives me nuts is spammers who will put their links in the comment sections on your social media pages. If you don't keep an eye on yours, watch out for it. I get them all the time and sometimes they'll show up on older posts that you might not be keeping an eye on.