Polar Explorers discussion

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket
Group Reading Discussions > Arthur Gordon Pym Discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Randolph (us227381) | 40 comments Mod
Here is a thread for the March 2016 book. I'm about 25% in and not much except (view spoiler) has happened.

message 2: by Randolph (last edited Mar 06, 2016 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have to say this is taking awhile to get going. Poe has a nagging habit of going back (digressing) to explain details he "forgot" to mention up until the current point in the narrative in order to fill in some plot gaps. This has the feel of a "made up as you go" plot. The whole, up to about a third of the way, has the feel of something dashed off in a hurry which was often Poe's MO.

The changeover to a journal style in the abrupt manner it begins, well into the story, has a lazy feel as well, as though there was little thought into the "style" Poe wished to achieve overall.

He can often be almost as purple as Lovecraft.

If there are any Poe scholars in the group maybe you can shed some light. I'm loathe to consult any references for fear of too much knowledge at this point.

Quirkyreader | 36 comments Randolph, something that might help with the story is to read or find the Oxford edition. It contains descriptive notes and also has other stories that tie in with Pym.

Now only if "The Terror" had been more Poesque. Especially since Simmons referenced "The Mask of The Red Death".

Thanks Quirky, I'll try to find some references. The end is fantastic but I only wish the lead up was as good.

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1 comments just started reading this tonight. 3:35 am is as good a time as any to start Poe's most inscrutable work. have heard mixed things about this one but I guess we'll see.