Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Weekly checkins > Week 9: 2/26-3/3

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Apologies for the late post. I am writing this from an airport waiting to fly home.

Sadly, I have no progress to report. I have two books in progress including my "guaranteed to bring you joy."

I've opened a thread soliciting suggestions for "a satirical book" for a group read. Check it out and make a recommendation.

Thegirlintheafternoon Checked off "a book that's guaranteed to bring you joy" and "a book published in 2016" with Ravishing the Heiress and Rag and Bone, respectively. I'm up to 13/41 for this Challenge.

I started The Martian for "a science-fiction novel," but it's been slow going for me so far. I really liked the movie, so I'll probably stick with the book a while longer, but thus far I'm not enthused.

message 3: by Katherine (last edited Mar 03, 2016 07:46PM) (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments Somehow, I managed to finish 4 books this week, which I believe is a record for me. Granted, they were all quick reads, one even being a graphic novel. So here they are:

The One (The Selection, #3) - I've really enjoyed this series. and I was happy with the way things ended for the MC. However, the ending felt a bit rushed, and I definitely wanted more. Also, I had the audio version, and the narrator's voice was breathy and distracting, which was unfortunate. Either way, still a fun story.

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) - I'm not enjoying this series as much as I was hoping I would, but I'm determined to make my way through it. Overall, the second installment was pretty good - exciting at parts, forgettable in others. I'm trying to pin down what I'm not liking about it, but I'm having trouble. I enjoy science-fiction, but maybe I'm just not into cyborgs?

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel - Love Outlander, but the graphic novel was choppy and confusing. If I hadn't read the book and watched the show, I would have been totally lost. I feel like a good adaptation should be able to be picked up by anyone and understood. This failed miserably, in my opinion.

The Heir (The Selection, #4) - Okay, I was not expecting the series to carry on with a new protagonist, so I was totally thrown off from page one. And once I got past the feeling of betrayal, I still wasn't a big fan. I like that the new MC is a kickass female, but she's also a selfish asshole. I see the character development, so I'm still excited for the new book later in the year, but it was hard at times to resist throwing my library book against a wall.

message 4: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I finished one book this week, a book recommended by a family memember (my mother): The Impossible Virgin which is a Modesty Blaise novel. I really enjoyed it, there's something special about these novels (like the Bond novels).

I'm now wokring on my novel set in Europe (A Conspiracy of Faith, before I move on to a novel garantueed to bring me joy :)

I'm now at 9/41

message 5: by Sara (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I finished two books this week. I'm at 14/41.

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. This is for my YA bestseller. It is hard to pick an adjective for a book that's so sad. I enjoyed it, but certainly didn't enjoy the emotional pain the characters went through. I don't often like books with sad endings, but this is one of them.

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathanial Philbrick. This book is a National Book Award winner. I'm divided on this book. It was fascinating to read the account of all these men went through, but there were some parts that were very hard to read. The whole idea of whale hunting (from my 21st century perspective) is unsettling.

I am still working on The Lord of the Rings and picked up The Invention of Wings yesterday.

message 6: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5323 comments Mod
Juanita wrote: "Apologies for the late post. I am writing this from an airport waiting to fly home.

Sadly, I have no progress to report. I have two books in progress including my "guaranteed to bring you joy."..."

Read in the airport! I get a lot of reading done when I have to fly :-) (It's the ONLY good thing about flying.)

message 7: by Nadine (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:09AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5323 comments Mod
I'm at 20/41 this week, I finished:

A Borrowed Man by Gene Wolfe for "science fiction" - Wolfe is one of my all-time favorite authors, but this book was disappointing, it was a very slow start and I didn't like the writing style nor any of the characters.

The Complete Persepolis for graphic novel. I've been meaning to read this for a long time now, and I really enjoyed it, and was left wondering why I waited so long to read it. I never really knew much about Iran, so this was educational for me.

A Superior Death for "takes place on an island." This is the second book in a mystery series that I've been reading completely out of order; I liked it okay, but I didn't love it (which is pretty much how I felt about the other book I read in this series).

Now I'm working on The Woman in White for book 100 years older than me. I assume this was published as a serial, like Dickens's books were, it has that feel, but it's a lot easier to read than Dickens! I'm also listening to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, which I didn't intend to use for this Challenge, but I might check off "book from the library" with it. If I can manage to finish it.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I didn't check off any prompts for the Pop Sugar challenge this week. I was in a holding period waiting for books I had requested from the library- one of those holds is still my romance set in the future. I'm disappointed that didn't come in time for me to read in February.

But I still finished four books - one re-read and three for the Around the Year challenge

So I re-read Scarlet. Still enjoying it. Some parts I can remember, some details were forgotten by me so I'm glad I'm re-reading. I started re-reading Cress last night.

If You Dare, Luckiest Girl Alive, and If I Stay were all read for ATY.

To conclude, I'm at 7/41 which I'm happy with for Pop Sugar and 10/52 for around the year. I should mention that I upped my goodreads goal, I'm not sure what possessed me to do that but I'm going to try my hardest to complete that too!

message 9: by Mike (last edited Mar 04, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments Finished An Abundance of Katherines for my Road Trip book.

Finished Hoot by Carl Hiaasen for my Book with a Blue Cover.

Started The Princess Bride for my Book Guaranteed to Bring You Joy (and March Monthly Challenge) and am about 20% finished. Love it, and am wondering why it took me so long to read!

12/41 complete

message 10: by Linnie (new)

Linnie | 45 comments This week I finished Cinder for my book based on a fairy tale. I was incredibly skeptical when I started this book. I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm not typically a fan of science fiction, and the cyborg concept really wasn't interesting to me. But I'm really happy that I stuck with it because I really enjoyed it! You just never know!

I started The Martian for the science fiction novel, and I'm still working on Outlander to complete the book with over 600 pages prompt. Happy reading everyone!

6/41 complete

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Linnie wrote: "This week I finished Cinder for my book based on a fairy tale. I was incredibly skeptical when I started this book. I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm not typically a fan of s..."

I felt the same way when I read Cinder. I don't read science fiction, and the cyborg thing in particular did not interest me, but I really did like it!

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I finished Cress this week for my "romance set in the future" so I'm at 9/41. I'm 36 in queue for Winter though, ugh. I'm about to start The Joy Luck Club for my "book about a culture I'm unfamiliar with."

message 13: by Katewegner (new)

Katewegner | 6 comments I started in the middle of January with #14 book you can read in a day The Name of God is Mercy.

After that, I went for Moby Dick. Sheesh! It took me a month to slog through half of it, and I just couldn't go on. I'll have to find another book that's 100 years older than me (#17)

For #9 book <150 pages, I read Heart of Darkness

Finally Insurgent for #3 YA best seller. I have Allegiant on order at the library for #11 Book that's becoming a movie this year.

I'm so enjoying this challenge and everyone's suggestions. Thanks, all!
Kate

message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 19 comments Just one book this week.

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban for my political memoir.

24/41

message 15: by Jillian (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:41PM) (new)

Jillian 33/40
I read a few short books this week and some audio books. Not sure if I will get any of my last 7 books read this week following week.
11. A book that's becoming a movie this year- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling 2/26/16
16. A political memoir- Madam Secretary by Madeleine Albright 2/27/16
20. A science-fiction novel-Calamity by Brandon Sanderson 3/1/16
24. A book with a protagonist who has your occupation- Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession by Erma Bombeck 3/1/16
25. A book that takes place during Summer- Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon 2/26/16

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments I'm still at 5/41, but started two books this week. A Little Life (book over 600 pages) and A Little Princess (book guaranteed to bring you joy). I've never read more than one book at a time ever, but I'm hoping it'll help space the 700 page book I'm working on out.

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) I'm at 19/41 for this challenge as of this week.

I finished:
1. The Invasion of the Tearling Really enjoying this series, look forward to the next book.
2. Christmas in Camelot for my book under 150 pages. Been wanting to read a Magic Tree House book since my daughter started reading them so I could get an idea of what she's reading and this gave me the perfect excuse.
3.Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man for book by a celebrity. I haven't read any of the other Star Trek memoirs so this was all new info for me, though the reviews say there wasn't anything new about it.
4.The Genre Doesn't Matter and Sometimes the Bad Guy Wins for a book of poetry. This was written by a friend of mine and I bought it when she first released it and never got around to reading it (I'm not a big fan of poetry). So once again, this challenge gave me a good excuse to read it.

I've started Wuthering Heights which I'm struggling with, and Red Queen which isn't too bad.

I'm really loving that this challenge is getting me to read things I never would have read before. :)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I read Purple, Green and Yellow as my book that is guaranteed to bring me joy and Coraline as my book that I can finish in a day. I've had a very busy week, so I haven't had much time to read, and I spent the rest of it on a book for my GoodReads Around the Year challenge.

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  (immorganthomas) | 3 comments I'm finishing up Brown Girl Dreaming, a National Book Award winner. It could also be considered a book of poetry.

I am also listening to All the Light We Cannot See as an audiobook. It was a NYT bestseller and quite popular with critics.

I also struggling (but determined) to get through Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, a book recommended to me by a family member.

message 20: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Was off on skiing vacation this week. Took a few books with me! Finished this week:

✅16. A political memoir: Christiane Taubira, Murmures à la jeunesse , Philippe Rey, 2016.

(published by the former French minister of Justice, who resigned in January after publicly clashing with the president and the prime minister on a post-terrorist attack constitutional amendment bill. A book quickly written, quickly read, sharply worded but not that interesting all in all)

✅17. A book at least 100 years older than you: Edmond et Jules Goncourt, Germinie Lacerteux , GF Flammarion, 1990 (éd. orig. 1865).

(a lesser-known naturalist novel of the late XIXth Century, 106 years older than I am. Pretty good, if middly annoying at times)

That put me at 18 books for the challenge. I almost finished a third one, but since I read the last few pages on the train back home today, I'll list it for the next weekly check-in!

message 21: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments For lack of somewhere else to post this, I am doing so here. Notorious RBG is on sale for $5.99 here:
http://links.e.harpercollins.com/serv...

message 22: by Cthulhu (last edited Mar 06, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Cthulhu Youth | 1 comments This week I read Oryx and Crake, which is either my dystopian or romance set in the future depending on which other books I find to read (it's not actually a romance, but it has a love story and as I read so much romance already I thought it would be more of a challenge to read outside the genre).
I've read 12 books for the challenge so far :)

message 23: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Juanita wrote: "For lack of somewhere else to post this, I am doing so here. Notorious RBG is on sale for $5.99 here:
http://links.e.harpercollins.com/serv......"

I have been wanting to read this one. Thanks!

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Rosey I LOVE Oryx and Crake and year if the

message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Rosey I LOVE Oryx and Crake and year if the

message 26: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments I just finished The Maze Runner What a great book this was! I was skeptical on reading it at first but, I loved it! It kept me interested throughout the whole book and I can not wait to read the rest of the series!!

I read it for a book and will read The Kill Order for the prequel!! I can't wait!!

I am currently at 10 out of 41!!

message 27: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Oh i meant to fix that, I was going to say year of the flood is even better in my opinion :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.