What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Patricia's Secret
This topic is about Patricia's Secret
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Vintage YA: sister/brother siblings being moved xcountry to airforce base with father they did not know. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:48PM) (new)

Jen | 148 comments YA 30-35 years ago. Young teen brother and sister, her name was Pat or Patricia. The story was told from her POV, they were driving across country to possibly California, because the father they did not really know, who was driving them in the convertible, was AirForce and they were heading to on base housing. The kids tried to speak in code to each other in Pig Latin, but the father laughed and answered in same. She described her new room as gleaming maple furniture, blue carpet, and she went "missing", when she turned up, the people from the base looking for her make remarks about how terrible she was and she should be punished but he just took her back to their assigned housing and she learned to trust her father.

Ring a bell? Was one of these Scholastic cheap paperbacks we could order in the classroom for reading time.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Remember the cover? Author male or female?

Is there a mother in the family?

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 148 comments I don't remember. Mother was either dead or this was a change of custody probably. No memory of cover.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 148 comments Bump. Cover was blue, girl was in pink, and the car was a convertible I think.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 148 comments The girl did not run away she was with some other teens on the military base but never told her father where she was going.

message 6: by Kris (last edited Mar 29, 2016 09:54AM) (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Crossing Over by Sandra Love?
"When Megan, thirteen, and Kevin, ten, go to spend a school year with their divorced father, now a teacher at a military school, they find life a bit different than with their easygoing mother."

"A New Adventure" (1981) by Mary Ann Hoffman?
"Madeline is upset at the prospect of moving to a strange place, but her father reminds her that moving around the world is part of a Navy family's life."
http://www.worldcat.org/title/new-adv...

Jen, are the kids parents divorced?

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 148 comments Thank you for posting suggestions but neither book is the one I am looking for. I don't recalll if it is divorce or death of the mother. I am leaning toward divorce and out of the blue the kids are suddenly spending time with a dad they don't know.

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments Patricia's Secret? I find no mentions of brother, though.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 148 comments THAT'S IT!!!! Thank you, Ayshe! However did you locate it?

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments You're welcome! I can't remember how I located it now, it must have been worldcat.org search or google one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Patricia's Secret (other topics)
Crossing Over (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sandra Love (other topics)