Aussie Readers discussion

Plague Cult (The Collegium, #5)
This topic is about Plague Cult
Our Authors Spotlight > Jenny Schwartz

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Hi all

I haven't been around Goodreads very much the last couple of years. Wretched days only have 24 hours in them! LOL But I wanted to say a belated "hi" as an author as well as reader/reviewer.

I'm from WA. I enjoy a wide range of genres, both fiction and non-fiction, but I prefer stories to have a happy ending. I'm currently reading Peter Frankopan's "The Silk Roads". I know it's not Australian, but it's fascinating -- and timely!

I've written Australian-set contemporary romance and steampunk Clockwork Gold, but this year I'm concentrating on paranormal romance. My most recent release is Dragon Knight

Beyond Regeneration was the book I chose to accompany this "hello" post since it's set in one of my favourite corners of the world, south west Australia.

Jenny

message 2: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Janetzki (aimeejanetzki) | 2 comments Contemporary, Steampunk, Paranormal and Romance? Your books seem right up my alley, I'll have to check them out! Welcome back to GoodReads :')

message 3: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Thanks for the welcome, Aimee :) It's nice to be back!

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan You do character and setting very well, Jenny. Steampunk suits you. IMO.

message 5: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Ryan wrote: "You do character and setting very well, Jenny. Steampunk suits you. IMO."

Thank you, Ryan. What lovely compliment. I like Steampunk a lot. It's the chance to mis-use my history degree ;)

message 6: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 03, 2016 10:41PM) (new)

Carolyn | 7958 comments Hi Jenny, I like the sounds of your books, steam punk and fantasy and a bit of scifi. Sound right up my street too! I also love SW Australia having grown up in Perth, spending a lot of holidays and camping trips around the SW coast, esp Esperance and Albany round to Augusta.

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3159 comments Hi Jenny, I'm a bit of a spec fic fan myself - and also originally from WA. Love the south-west corner :)

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69388 comments Mod
Welcome back Jenny! Great to have you pop in and share your work with us:) I've read a little of yours and loved it too...

message 9: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Carolyn wrote: "...Sound right up my street too! I also love SW Australia having grown up in Perth, spending a lot of holidays and..."

Such a gorgeous corner of the world ... and still gorgeous! if hot *wry smile* Perth was roasting this summer.

message 10: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Leonie wrote: "Hi Jenny, I'm a bit of a spec fic fan myself - and also originally from WA. Love the south-west corner :)"

Leonie, maybe there's a spec-fic something in the water around here? :) Or more seriously, I wonder if it's something in the books school exposed us to or the TV shows after school .... remember Monkey Magic, for instance?

message 11: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Brenda wrote: "Welcome back Jenny! Great to have you pop in and share your work with us:) I've read a little of yours and loved it too..."

Hi Brenda, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I crept back here, knowing you keep a friendly open house on Goodreads. Thank you!

Everyone, happy weekend with lots of reading!

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

And you Jenny:) It's our quarterly read-a-thon, so yes, I'd say there'll be lots of reading!

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7958 comments Jenny wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "...Sound right up my street too! I also love SW Australia having grown up in Perth, spending a lot of holidays and..."

Such a gorgeous corner of the world ... and still gorgeous! i..."

I sure don't miss the heat! I always get bowled over by it when we go back in the summer to visit family.

message 14: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I was reading The Bone Clocks last night and a character appeared who was from WA. Kenny Bloke is described as a "Noongar elder" who reminisces about seeing a particular (fictional) band in Freo back in '86. Love it.

message 15: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Thanks, Brenda :)

Carolyn, visiting family in summer in Perth -- it takes courage :)

Ryan, I've heard good things about Bone Clocks but wasn't sure ... thanks for the personal rec!

message 16: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3159 comments Jenny wrote: "Leonie wrote: "Hi Jenny, I'm a bit of a spec fic fan myself - and also originally from WA. Love the south-west corner :)"

Leonie, maybe there's a spec-fic something in the water around here? :) Or..."

Maybe it was!

message 17: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments This isn't speculative fiction. It's something different that I wrote and quietly released. A slice of life novella that's very Australian.

Empty by Jenny Schwartz will be free Friday night and most of Saturday, Australian time. This is because Amazon America dictates free days, and that's the timing of a 11 March free day.

So if you're interested in a short something different, Empty is free for 24 hours. Only on Amazon (sorry, non-Amazon readers, it's a clause I had to sign up to if I wanted my book in Amazon's lending library)

message 18: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments I'm starting a new book tomorrow -- writing one, I mean! "Plague Cult" is going to be a lot more fun than the title sounds. Paranormal romance.

Speaking of paranormal romance, I read Anne Bishop's latest, "Marked in Flesh" and turned around and re-read it! Great world building and characters. Not an Aussie author, though. Maybe we should adopt her?

If you are looking for Aussie speculative fiction authors, I belong to a group that spun out from Romance Writers of Australia. We've been swamped and only update our blog sporadically, but our list of names is impressive. You'll find us at Dark Side Down Under, http://www.darksidedownunder.com/

I need to pick a good book to read, but I don't know what I want! Isn't that always the way!

If anyone has a non-fiction recommendation (not war or a bio, I'm not in the mood), that would be great!

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The Inconvenient Child by Sharyn Killens - brilliant!
Blood Vows by Helen Cummings - enjoyable though a hard topic
Tracks by Robyn Davidson - loved it!
The Spark: A Mother's Story of Nurturing Genius by Kristine Barnett
The Last of the Nomads by W.J. Peasley - wonderful
Mother of Ten by JB Rowley - thoroughly enjoyed it!
A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley - fascinating story
Hana's Suitcase by Karen Levine - amazing!
Australia's Most Murderous Prison: Behind the Walls of Goulburn Jail by James Phelps - unbelievable!
Accidentally Istanbul: Decoding Turkey for the Enquiring Western Traveller by Nancy Knudsen - just released and utterly fantastic!

These are all from my non fiction shelf Jenny, and all four and five star reviews. Hope you can find something there you'd like to read :)

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

And congratulations on the start of your new book! That must be an amazing feeling...getting on the journey to putting another one "out there"... well done!

message 21: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Brenda, thank you! I've just bought Accidentally Istanbul which sounds perfect! Absorbing without being hard going. Mid-week I need something positive :)

And thank you for the good wishes re the new book, too!

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I hope you enjoy it Jenny:) I met the author recently and she asked me if I'd like to read and review for her. I'm going to the launch at the Newcastle Writers Festival at the beginning of April:)

message 23: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Oh that's fantastic!

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It should be good! Thanks:)

message 25: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments At least the weather should have cooled off! Longest summer ever

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Shocking! Today is our first day of rain in around 6 weeks and the first day it's been a little cooler in forever! But still it's humid:( So over it!

message 27: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Brenda - thank you! Accidentally Istanbul Decoding Turkey for the Enquiring Western Traveller by Nancy Knudsen was a delight!

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Glad you enjoyed it Jenny:) I loved it!

message 29: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments It was lovely and positive. Just right :)

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The launch is next weekend at the Newcastle Writers Festival:)

message 31: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Well, you can tell Nancy she has another fan! Have a great time at the festival :)

message 32: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Jenny..I will. I just read your review on Amazon too...great one!

message 33: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Thanks! I'm not a great reviewer -- but I try :)

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The few words you've written are perfect! Gives your feelings in a good and clean way:)

message 35: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Whew :)

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!

message 37: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments My internet connection has been awful -- do not mention Telstra in my hearing! -- but I think a new modem has finally fixed the last of the issues, so I'm cautiously back!

I'm reading The Swerve: How the World Became Modern at the moment which is a fascinating tale of the Renaissance and so much more.

On the writing front, my new book Doctor Wolf (The Collegium #4) by Jenny Schwartz is out in less than a month. 27 April, in fact. You don't need to have read the other Collegium novels to enjoy it... *says she, trying to entice readers* If you'd enjoy a werewolf in London romance, at least click and read the blurb :)

message 38: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Nothing worse than dodgy internet Jenny! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it stays :)

message 39: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Thanks, Brenda :)

message 40: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Sky Garden I should have mentioned it earlier! Sky Garden is free on Amazon for a few more hours.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018J7YW0E/

(Brenda, is it okay to share this on my thread here? Otherwise I'll delete!)

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Jenny this is your thread, and where you promote your work - so yes! It's perfectly fine:)

Sorry for the late reply;)

message 42: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I've just downloaded it Jenny - so thanks!

message 43: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Thanks, Brenda :) I hoped that if I only mentioned it here, it would be okay. Have a lovely reading-filled weekend!

message 44: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Oh, and a download! Thank you!!

message 45: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You're welcome:) What genre would you call it? I've been trying to work it out;)

message 46: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments I'm the author, and I don't know! I wrote it as romantic suspense, but it twisted on me and became a bit more romance until the suspense kicks in at the end. So I compromised and called it a cosy mystery!

message 47: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

When you said "Edwardian" I contemplated Historical but then I put Mystery...Romantic Suspense works well too:) Thanks!

message 48: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments That's good shelving :)

message 49: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL! Thanks:) You've a very versatile writer, that's for sure:)

message 50: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 59 comments Thanks, Brenda :) I read across genres and I think it keeps things fresh (LOL I sound like air freshener advertising), but writing across genres has probably made it harder for readers to find and get comfortable with my work. So I'm trying to concentrate on a single paranormal romance series this year. Trying!

« previous 1