Reads With Friends discussion

Snow Like Ashes > MON 3/7 | Ch 1-5

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shannon (kitchandpages) (leaninglights) | 713 comments Mod
Not blown away yet but I do like the main character!

message 3: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Lawrence (shelleylawrence) New to this. ☺️ So you are starting this book and will hold your first discussion Monday? You use the links in the email with the dates to post comments?

Yeah, the official reading start date is Monday. You can just check in as you reach each reading point! :)

message 5: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Lawrence (shelleylawrence) Oh, do you don't necessarily have to finish by those dates? You just post comments when you get to that point?

Yeah! It's set up to make it easy with the schedule, but you totally go at your own pace :)

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Lawrence (shelleylawrence) That's such a great idea! Thanks

Romanticbookworm | 6 comments I am very intrigued by this so far looking forward to reading more.

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Lawrence (shelleylawrence) Just started this book, so hopefully I can catch up.

Shelley wrote: "Just started this book, so hopefully I can catch up."

Today is the first day, so you're on target! :)

Chloeblue2005 wrote: "So far I'm enjoying this one and I totally get the GoT comparisons"

Oo, I didn't know there were GoT comparisons! I see that now though :)

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments Is there a problem with us reading ahead? I am already on Chapter 3 lol

Heather wrote: "Is there a problem with us reading ahead? I am already on Chapter 3 lol"

Not at all!! You can read at your own pace! (I already finished O_o) hahah

message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Just wanted in jump in and say hiya new to the group I jump started the book yesterday not my usual type of read but wanted different. I only have to read 4 and 5 and will come back to comment a little. I'm I right thinking the GoT means Game of Thrones? Another book I haven't got to yet but maybe someday. Maybe someday.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (readingwithjessica) Just read today's section. I'm not a fan of the beginning of any book/series. I hate the information overload that happens. This time I decided to get ahead of the game and take notes. My brain processes easier that way lol. Don't judge, haha! I had a hard time with the first 20 pages (but that's always an issue for me as I said earlier), but after that I really started getting into it! This feels a bit like throne of glass but not 100% the same. I'm really liking Mather! He seems like such a great guy just trying to find his place in this world. Overall, I'm excited to be starting this series <3

message 16: by maggie (new)

maggie  (magemoran) I've had this on my kindle for ages, so happy to finally pick it up!

So far, so good. Meira seems to be displaying the right level or recklessness that I enjoy, but I'm hoping she doesn't push it to the point where all her choices are being called into question. I'm assuming we are supposed to want Mather and Meira together but so far I'm not wholly convinced on their relationships. I must have missed the original description of her, I was thinking she might be from another "court" or season but then they described her as a Winterian, but I definitely had a fully developed plot in my head based on that lol so now I'm just adjusting back to the fact that she is actually from their area.

message 17: by Romanticbookworm (new)

Romanticbookworm | 6 comments I got the sense when reading these first chapters that it was a class system in a way like Mather was Rich and Meira was not rich or definitely lower class than him if that makes sense but just my observation off these chapters.

As I previously said I am really enjoying this book and cant believe it sat so long unread on my kindle.

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Lucy I totally agreed. I was so confused in the beginning that I was at the point I went on You tube and watched 2 of the non spoiler reviews on the book. I don't know how much it helped. but I think it's a little easier. I don't like taking notes because that reminds me too much home work or when I was in school. (okay it's been along while for that LOL)
I'm liking the characters I like Meira and Mather. I always hate the beginning a new book or a prologue if a book has it.

message 19: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Lawrence (shelleylawrence) Lucy, that's so funny because I'm often the same exact way with beginnings! I so relate.

I was able to read chapters 1-5 today, wasn't sure I'd be able to, but I did, so I'm happy. I really wanted to read with this group for the first time, and also, this book has been sitting on my shelf and I needed a push to start it.

I liked it! As mentioned, in most cases, it takes me awhile to get into a book, to latch onto the rhythm, pacing, character backgrounds and world-building. There are also often at least a few things I am unclear on or confused about, and both cases were true here, but I think they will work themselves out in time.

There were a couple of things I found a bit unbelievable, and there are some similarities to other fantasy books, but all-in-all so far, I like it!

message 20: by Bogdana (new)

Bogdana (bogdana_m) | 26 comments I'm the same way when it comes to starting new series, especially fantasy. There are so many names, places, and different magic systems that I sometimes find it overwhelming. With that being said, I feel like this had a pretty good pace and explained more and more with each chapter. I love all the characters introduced so far. Looking forward to tomorrow's section.

I'm so glad so many of you are joining in and enjoying the start to SLA! The author created the story when she was 12 and later made it into a full novel as an adult! I love the concept of the Seasons as different kingdoms. Very unique and something I haven't read before. I've already finished but I'm so excited to chat about the book with you all :)

message 22: by LaChelle (new)

LaChelle | 17 comments Loving this so far. I can't wait to learn more about the relationship between Meira and Sir :)

message 23: by Eve (new)

Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews) (evilous) | 44 comments I'm glad to finally be getting to this and excited to be doing so as part of a group. I've heard nothing but good things about it. There is a lot of information on me and I don't make notes so much as I just roll with it and then it either falls into place and I enjoy it or I get lost (which hasn't happened much) and usually it works out. So far I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the details on the world and how the magic works but overall enjoying it. I like Meira she is strong and confident. She is looking for connection to a land she doesn't remember. Also having a possible crush on her future king, which I understand the class system and all but you'd think with so few of their people free they would rather keep the people whole.

message 24: by Ivy (new)

Ivy | 11 comments It's not the best book I have ever read but I really like it. It's different.

message 25: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 316 comments I keep picking this up and trying to read it but struggling with the names. I'm on chapter 3.

message 26: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo The names take awhile to get used too. I agree.

message 27: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 316 comments Finally finished chapter 5. The pacing is a little off. Liked how chapter 4 finally picked up. Hoping it gets better and more understanding as we read on.

Lucy wrote: "Just read today's section. I'm not a fan of the beginning of any book/series. I hate the information overload that happens. This time I decided to get ahead of the game and take notes. My brain pro..."

Taking notes is a great way to get a hold of the world and story. I do that a lot! :)

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany DeOs (thecraftyhome) | 6 comments I so wanted to read this while everyone else was but got behind. :( Anyway, I'm finding the beginning of the book very slow. I'm hoping it picks up. I think it has potential but so far it's just ok, in my opinion. I'm just going to keep reading and see what happens.