Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

Kylie Jude
This topic is about Kylie Jude
2016 Archives > Books and Music and Artwork and Trailers... Oh my!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kylie (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:47PM) (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments

Hello & welcome to my booth!
I'm Kylie Jude (AKA Kylie Kerosene, & sometimes Kylie Kraken now that I've boarded the awesome Slush Brain author-ship). As you can probably tell from the title, I am many, many things, some of which I shall list below, followed by a giveaway. Enjoy!

First & foremost, I'm a writer. While I only have one book published online so far, a short story in the psychological #Thriller realm called Over The River and Through The Woods, I am still putting finishing touches on the first novel in my #ScienceFiction series "The Undying Chronicles" which is my magnum opus & my reason for breathing, because I hope to impact people in a positive & empowering way with it. I also have plans for some #Fantasy & contemporary fiction in the future, and even some #Dystopian. All of my books have a bit of a #YA theme, while still being sort of dark & disturbing. It's a thin line, but I guess I like to be like Johnny Cash & walk it. ;)

More writing info: http://KylieJude.Com/Writing

I'm also an artist, having dabbled a little when I was younger but never really getting into it seriously until I started writing my novels. I don't know what on Earth possessed me to do my own illustrations, but no matter how painful & time consuming it is, I'm doing it. I'm not the best artist out there, but I occasionally do illustrations & book covers for fellow authors. Although, with my hands really going downhill lately, I've slowed down a bit on it. I still love doing fan art in my free time though (which I get, oh, maybe once a month)

More artwork info: http://KylieJude.Com/Artwork

I've been a musician since before I could reach the piano. In addition to tickling the ivory now & then, I also dabble in guitar, violin, & penny whistle. Oh & I also sing. Er, I try to. But what I love most is composing. I do a lot of digital music now, usually mixing it with real instruments and vocals to create something unique. I've been blessed to work on some awesome projects this year, including composing soundtracks for book-to-screen adaptations from Amy McCorkle and Stephen Zimmer, & I'm always looking for new projects to compose music for. When I'm not composing original music for my band or other authors, I enjoy taking songs I've heard on TV & in movies & remixing them, creating mash-ups where I smoosh 2 songs into one (or 3, or 5, depending on my mood), & I've also recently started doing covers.

More music info: http://KylieJude.Com/Music

I've been a video editor for 15 years now (holy guacamole, that's almost half my life!) & while I used to mostly make fan videos of TV shows & movies & video games (which I still do sometimes), now I'm blessed to be able to make book trailers for some fellow authors, which so far have included C.L. Schneider & Peter Welmerink. I've also been editing together promos for Stephen Zimmer's TV pilot project, which is fun & exciting. I'm always looking to do more with video editing, especially book trailers, so if you're in need of one for your book, let me know! I can even compose the music for it. ;)

More video editing info: http://KylieJude.Com/VideoEditing

Hmmm, what else... I live out in the woods of Eastern Kentucky with my husband Eric Jude AKA Colonel D.R. Acula (who is also an author, among other things), & our adorable cat, Clack (who I have been known to call many things, one of them being Clacken - in reference to the Kraken, of course!) and... My favorite music is deep & intense & elaborate stuff such as M83 (and of course 30 Seconds To Mars, since their music has inspired so much of The Undying Chronicles) & my favorite TV show right now is The 100. And... I guess that about covers it! If you still want to know more or if you want to keep in touch, everything you need to know can be found on my website, KylieJude.Com

Which brings me to the giveaway!

I don't have much to give since I'm still a new author, but I DO have a published short story, so in honor of the convention, everyone who subscribes to my website (form located in the drop-down menu) & comments here with their email address as proof (or just their name), will be entered to win a free eBook of Over The River and Through The Woods!

Book description:
Inspired by a nightmare, “Over The River and Through The Woods” is a psychological tale of terror, following a teenage girl named Charlotte as she visits her aging grandmother Abby in the woods for a weekend. She quickly discovers that Abby isn’t quite the same grandmother she remembers from seven years earlier. Her mind is fading fast, and so are her manners. As Abby's mood swings grow more and more violent, Charlotte begins hearing strange noises around the old cabin, and soon begins to wonder if she, too, is losing her mind.

Don't worry, I don't post updates too often so you won't be swarmed with a bunch of daily emails when you subscribe. If I get enough entries, I'll put the names in my Bayou Hat & draw them in a youtube video, & I'll notify you in the comments here at my booth at noon EST on April 10th. To allow time for filming & uploading the video announcement, please enter by 10 P.M. EST on April 9th to qualify. Good luck!

^ Bayou Hat ;)

Oh, & speaking of giveaways, the Stephen Zimmer I mentioned currently has a giveaway of his own which is something pretty cool for both authors & readers - a donation of any amount to his TV Pilot Kickstarter (even just $5!) gets you entered to win 2 weekend passes, complete with hotel stay, to the Imaginarium Convention in Louisville, Kentucky. I'll be there (I've been helping with the Film Festival portion of this eclectic & fun-filled convention) & it would be awesome to see you there! Also, a donation of just $5 gets you a free ebook of Heart of a Lion! So if this sounds like something you might like, head on over to this link, check out the music & videos I made for it, & donate so you can be entered to win: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

Board the H.M.S. Slush Brain and follow the "Giveaway Hop!"

A collection of high-spirited, talented, pirate-loving authors make up this zany crew. Follow the Giveaway Hop, enter their giveaways, and meet them.

On to the next Crew Member!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

P.S. I haven't reserved comment space for myself during the event, so in order to see all my posts you may need to scroll down or even go to the next page, but you should be able to find my posts by the squiggly red lines ;)

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Zimmer | 1 comments Kylie is awesome. multi-talented and her writing is top notch and never derivative. Definitely encourage others to check her stuff out!

message 3: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Stephen wrote: "Kylie is awesome. multi-talented and her writing is top notch and never derivative. Definitely encourage others to check her stuff out!"

Awww, YOU'RE awesome!

message 4: by Colonel (new)

Colonel Acula | 1 comments Kylie Jude is one of my favorite authors.... and not cos im married to her either!

message 5: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Colonel wrote: "Kylie Jude is one of my favorite authors.... and not cos im married to her either!"

Aww, thank you Colonel ;)
You're one of my favorites too!

message 6: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Yay! Finally figured out how to stick images in my booth (besides the Slush Brain one, of course) - Now it's not just big blocks of text! Hopefully that's an improvement ;)

message 7: by Kylie (last edited Apr 07, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Alright, so if you're here it's probably because you love books. Right? RIGHT?!? Well, the campaign I've been helping my friend Stephen Zimmer with is coming to a close soon, and today we're launching our final "Drive For 5" where we try to get people to pledge just $5 to the kickstarter. But now when you pledge just $5 you get not one eBook, but 2! Stephen's book Heart of a Lion which is the book the potential TV pilot will be loosely based on, AND Savior: A Higher Collective Novel - a vampire novel by Jennifer Malone Wright. You'll also be entered into the Imaginarium contest (Imaginarium is an awesome convention for writers, readers, and much more) so if you love books, conventions, and helping authors see their dreams fulfilled, check out the newest update to the project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/…/rayden-...

message 8: by Chess (new)

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) | 103 comments Good morning, Kylie!

message 9: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Chess wrote: "Good morning, Kylie!"

Good morning!
Er, afternoon here now.
I'm not a morning person, LOL

message 10: by Kylie (last edited Apr 08, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

*Runs back to booth and smacks hands down on table, out of breath*

Okay, I'm here! Had to make a coffee run, and on the way back I couldn't help but get sidetracked by all the other pretty booths (ooooh, shiny) but I'm here now! For my first act, I shall produce for you my very first teaser for my debut short story Over The River and Through The Woods. I hope Goodreads lets me post it big enough that you can read it, but if not, never fear! I'll be posting it on my site and social media soon. Enjoy!

Don't forget, I have a contest going until until tomorrow night for a free ebook of this story. All you have to do is subscribe to my website KylieJude.Com (subscription forms should be in the drop-down menu) and then come back here and comment with your email or name so I can verify and put you in my hat! ... Well, I won't put YOU in my hat, but your name. If I get enough entries, that is. So if you like creepy short stories, why not give it a go? I'll wait. *Kicks back and eats cyber cotton candy*

message 11: by David (new)

David Kelly (davidmkelly) | 21 comments Hi Kylie Just had a look through some of your book trailers. I especially liked the one for TRANSPORT. I thought the graphics and music really complemented each other!

I used to be in a band also. Bass and ahem "vocals" (It was heavy rock). Had a lot of fun, though now I just write fiction instead of songs :-)

message 12: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments David wrote: "Hi Kylie Just had a look through some of your book trailers. I especially liked the one for TRANSPORT. I thought the graphics and music really complemented each other!

I used to be in a band also...."

Thanks so much David! That one was fun to make and write the music for (who am I kidding, they're all fun, LOL) And nice! You might like our music then (haven't released much new stuff but planning to) and ya know, I kinda feel like music and fiction are one and the same. Almost every story I write is entirely inspired by music, and a lot of the music I write is inspired by fiction (whether it's my books, other people's books, or a TV show or movie) - in a way they are very similar!

message 13: by David (new)

David Kelly (davidmkelly) | 21 comments I'll have to check out your music too. What do you use to make the trailers? I've used AfterEffects for the ones I've done, though I'm still learning the ropes with it.

I agree with you that there's an element of connectivity with writing and music (most likely with all artistic endeavors). It's especially nice when they work together to reinforce each other.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Buzard-Moffitt (lindamoffitt02) | 1 comments I also signed up for your email Thanks for the giveaway Linda Moffitt

message 15: by Aldrea (new)

Aldrea Alien (aldreaalien) | 21 comments Hi, doing my night-round of the booths and I couldn't help but notice the DA2 fanart. I now, officially feel slightly less sheepish for adoring such a game. ^_^

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Underwood Hi Kylie!

Love everything I've read here! You remind me of myself - doing everything (my mother always said I could do anything I put my mind to) and my passions in life are also writing, art and music. I'll follow you on all these links, and wish you all the best in your new writing career!

message 17: by Shane (new)

Shane Wilson (nomadshane) | 36 comments This is a beautiful booth! You clearly do good work. :) Welcome to the convention!

message 18: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments David wrote: "I'll have to check out your music too. What do you use to make the trailers? I've used AfterEffects for the ones I've done, though I'm still learning the ropes with it.

I agree with you that there..."

I use Movie Maker for some things, and Vegas for most things. I just graduated to Vegas so I'm still learning how it works, but love it so far! The quality is much better ;) And I'd love to learn how to use AfterEffects, in fact I think it's next on my list! Hopefully soon. :)

message 19: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Linda wrote: "I also signed up for your email Thanks for the giveaway Linda Moffitt"

Thank YOU, Linda! Have you confirmed the subscription yet? Because I'm not seeing your name on the list. But will go ahead and add your name to the hat in good faith!!

message 20: by David (new)

David Kelly (davidmkelly) | 21 comments AfterEffects is fairly straightforward if you're used to timeline editing, but as with all things the devil is in the detail. There are a lot of good tutorials out there though to help. There's also an entire course on it in Lynda.com if you have access.

message 21: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Aldrea wrote: "Hi, doing my night-round of the booths and I couldn't help but notice the DA2 fanart. I now, officially feel slightly less sheepish for adoring such a game. ^_^"

Yes! LOVE all the Dragon Age games (also Bioware's other epic game Mass Effect, although I haven't done any fan art of it) - I'm actually replaying the whole Dragon Age series right now to get footage for a music video! I'm on the second one. Still haven't beat Inquisition because somehow it glitched and the bard stopped singing. Gotta have my bard! So that's when I decided to start over. All the way over ;) But yeah, love it!

message 22: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Barbara wrote: "Hi Kylie!

Love everything I've read here! You remind me of myself - doing everything (my mother always said I could do anything I put my mind to) and my passions in life are also writing, art and ..."

Hi! Thank you! It was actually my mom who told me that too. Yay for moms! It sounds like we have a lot in common :)

message 23: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Shane wrote: "This is a beautiful booth! You clearly do good work. :) Welcome to the convention!"

Thank you Shane! :)

message 24: by Kylie (last edited Apr 09, 2016 11:05AM) (new)

*Jumps* I'm awake! I promise. *Rubs eyes* Good morning and welcome to day 2 of the convention! I'm... *Looks at watch* Holy guacamole! It's afternoon already?!? Time flies when you're napping reading. ;)

So, if you've been paying attention you know that I'm a Science Fiction author and also a HUGE FAN of Science Fiction. So, I'm one of the many stops on the Science Fiction blog tour, and I have 7... That's right, SEVEN different Science Fiction authors I interviewed for the convention. Some great minds in this bunch, so check it out HERE: http://kyliejude.com/2016/04/b2bcycon...

AND, while you're there, why not subscribe in the drop-down menu and then come back here and comment, so I can add you to the drawing for a free eBook of my creepy short story Over The River and Through The Woods! Contest ends tonight at 10 EST, so hurry and enter before it's too late!

*Sniffs the air*
Is that popcorn I smell? I'll be back!

message 25: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments David wrote: "hands kylie coffee and chocolate wake up sleepy head lols day two yay"

Haha, thanks David! Wide awake now!

*Sips coffee* ....... *Guzzles coffee*

message 26: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Oh and I'm actually eating chocolate right now, so that was prophetic, LOL

message 27: by Ash (new)

Ash Krafton (ash_krafton) | 58 comments Nice to meet you, Kylie. You definitely make the most of creativity--so many talents! Thanks for conning and giving us a chance to check out your work.

Cheers!

message 28: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Hi Kylie!
Wow, you are a force to be reckoned with! Your artwork is wonderful, and I commend you for being involved in so many things. I am also a multi-faceted person and understand how exhilarating, but at time stressful, it can be!

message 29: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Thank you, ladies! And yes, it can definitely be stressful, but the exhilaration tends to outweigh all that :)

message 30: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Oh and since I've had so few entries, I'm extending my giveaway contest until midnight EST. Last call!

message 31: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments David wrote: "whooooooooooo hands kylie more chocolate and coffee"

Woo! Thank you! *Bounces off the walls*

message 32: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments David wrote: "kylies going to be up awhile lols"

Haha yep! *Downs 15th cup of coffee*

message 33: by Kylie (last edited Apr 09, 2016 09:04PM) (new)

Aaaaand, I'm now extending the giveaway contest until tomorrow! Repeat, TOMORROW! At... Let's say, noon. You have until tomorrow at noon. And remember to confirm your subscription or it won't count! Good luck and good night!

message 34: by Kylie (last edited Apr 10, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

Hi again! Hope you're enjoying the final day of the convention! Getting a late start again because we had quite a night. My hubby Colonel D.R. Acula and I went to see Hardcore Henry in theaters, and boy, it was quite a ride. Check out my brand new spoiler-free review here: http://kyliejude.com/2016/04/movie-re...

Now, if you've been paying attention you know that I extended my giveaway/contest until today at noon. Well, noon has come and gone and as far as I can tell, I've still had no new entries. So the video reveal won't be happening, because it would be kind of silly to draw names from my Bayou Hat when there are just 2! But, maybe next time. As far as I can tell, I had one entry on Facebook and one entry here. Jill Ranney-Campbell, and Linda Moffitt. If someone else entered and I missed it please let me know! But as of now, since I only have 2 entries, BOTH will be getting a free eBook of Over The River and Through The Woods! Woo! So Linda, please contact me via private message or email to get your copy. :)

Once again, if anyone needs a book trailer made with original music, I'm your girl. And friend me, follow me, subscribe to my website, to keep up with my new releases, hopefully coming soon-ish!

But enough about me. To end the convention I'll be promoting some of my fellow authors and friends in coming comments. But first, MOAR COFFEE! *Goes on caffeine hunt*

message 35: by Kylie (last edited Apr 10, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Colonel D.R. Acula

First, of course, I have to give a shout out to my husband, Colonel D.R. Acula. He is also an author, as well as an amazing photographer, and my partner in crime, in all things, including our multimedia production company Frozen Creek Studios, which you can find on Youtube at http://Youtube.Com/FrozenCreekStudios..., on Facebook at http://Facebook.Com/FrozenCreekStudios, and on Twitter at http://Twitter.Com/FrozenCreekArt. Soon we will hopefully be starting a website, but as it's still fairly new, for now it's just the social media. So feel free to check us out and connect!

My husband's awesome books, which I edited:

Bennet Alderdice by Colonel D.R. Acula Bennet Alderdice

Nettie The Alderdice Tales by Colonel D.R. Acula Nettie: The Alderdice Tales

New Year's Cleave by Colonel D.R. Acula New Year's Cleave

(That's me on the cover of Nettie, and I designed the cover of New Year's Cleave)

He's got way more coming so be on the lookout!

You can also find him on Facebook at http://Facebook.Com/WriterDRAcula and on Twitter at http://Twitter.Com/WriterDRAcula.

message 36: by Kylie (last edited Apr 10, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Stephen Zimmer

And, one last shout out to my good friend Stephen Zimmer. There are currently 3 days left in the massive campaign to bring his book character Rayden Valkyrie to the screen. I edited the campaign videos, all of which can be found at this link, along with a link to the campaign itself if you want to get in on it before it's over: http://kyliejude.com/2016/03/rayden-v...

This is the book the TV pilot is based on:

Heart of a Lion (Dark Sun Dawn Book 1) by Stephen Zimmer Heart of a Lion

And here are some of Stephen's other books:

The Exodus Gate (The Rising Dawn Saga, #1) by Stephen Zimmer The Exodus Gate

Crown of Vengeance by Stephen Zimmer Crown of Vengeance

Chronicles of Ave, Volume 1 by Stephen Zimmer Chronicles of Ave, Volume 1

Hellscapes, Volume 1 by Stephen Zimmer Hellscapes, Volume 1

He has many more books so check him out! You can also connect with him on Twitter at http://Twitter.Com/SGZimmer.

Websites:
http://StephenZimmer.Com
http://RaydenValkyrie.Com

message 37: by Kylie (last edited Apr 10, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

*Starts packing up*

Was great to meet some of you and I hope you'll keep in touch! You can find me on Twitter at http://Twitter.Com/KylieKerosene, on Facebook at http://Facebook.Com/Kerosene13, and various other social media where I tend to go by Kylie Kerosene. And of course, my website has everything you could possibly want to know about me, and probably more. http://KylieJude.Com ;)

Back to the HMS Slush Brain I go!

*Boards ship, stopping to turn and salute*

Be the lightning, me hearties!