Amazon Editors' YA Book Club discussion

March 2016 > Red Rising

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seira (new)

Seira Wilson | 92 comments Mod
If you liked Hunger Games and are ready to get sucked into life on Mars and surrounding planets, this is your book. There's a fair amount of violence but the plot is so compelling and it doesn't feel gratuitous (to me). Has anyone else read this yet? How about the whole trilogy?

message 2: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 8 comments I LOVE RED RISING. The book is thrilling without being just another 'teen needs to start a rebellion' type book (I just finished reading it for the second time). The second book is brilliant as well, but unfortunately, I have not been able to get my hands on the third one yet.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine L. (screenedbooks) I bought both the hardcover and the audio book versions of "Red Rising" and absolutely preferred reading it by listening to it. I really look forward to re-listening to the beginning again this month, and learning what everyone else thinks about the story of Darrow!

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cgk22) I read this one January of last year, and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was action packed with a little romance mixed in. I read the second, Golden Son, a few months ago and liked it as well but I prefer Red Rising the most out of this series so far. I do plan to read Morning Star, at some point...so many books so little time!

message 5: by Seira (new)

The publisher is running a giveaway for Red Rising right now and there's still time to enter: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 6: by Kalea (new)

Kalea | 9 comments I just finished this one (we picked it as our irl book club's book of the month as well!) and I really liked it o.o It was so good! It seemed a bit like Hunger Games and Divergent mixed together, but I fell in love with the characters (Sevro and Pax anyone?).
I've heard really good things about the following two as well, but haven't actually read them myself. I'm looking forward to what everyone else though as well :D

message 7: by Seira (new)

So, I'm hoping many of you are finished or nearing the end--was it as hard to put down for the rest of you? The author was in town recently and he asked who my favorite character was. I'm kind of torn because I love Darrow but also weirdly appreciate The Jackal... Who's your favorite character?

message 8: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 8 comments My favorite character is Pax or Mustang. I appreciate their brightness.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine L. (screenedbooks) Sevro was my favorite character, followed closely by Pax and Darrow.

message 10: by Kalea (new)

Kalea | 9 comments Marissa wrote: "My favorite character is Pax or Mustang. I appreciate their brightness."

I agree! I also really enjoyed Sevro! ^_^

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Seira wrote: "So, I'm hoping many of you are finished or nearing the end--was it as hard to put down for the rest of you? The author was in town recently and he asked who my favorite character was. I'm kind of t..."

The month is over and I finally have time to get back to this book - I had to stop at 25%. I love the author's question and am waiting to discover my favorite character.

message 12: by Yan (new)

Yan | 14 comments Any one read or intend to read the #2 and #3 book in the series?
What do you think about the series?

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Yan wrote: "Any one read or intend to read the #2 and #3 book in the series?
What do you think about the series?"

I enjoyed the initial premise of the book, but my interest flagged with all of the physical battles. I just don't like battles. So, I will chose to read something else rather than continue with this series.

Mustang was my favorite character.

message 14: by Yan (last edited Apr 05, 2016 07:39AM) (new)

Yan | 14 comments Kathleen wrote: "I enjoyed the initial premise of the book, but my interest flagged with all of the physical battles. I just don't like battles. So, I will chose to read something else rather than continue with this series.

Mustang was my favorite character. "

I'm half way into the book, I think the battles in the school are quite interesting, as they involved strategies and planning. And also how participants abuse loophole in the system to get what they want.

No favorite character yet so far....

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb (dlmetzler) I know I'm late, but I wanted to add my thoughts to the group. I loved Servo and Pax. This book was really good! I gave it 4 stars, but it is really a 4.5 star rating. Now I read Salt to the sea ;)

message 16: by Janene (new)

Janene Murphy (janenemurphy) | 28 comments I am SO late to the party on this one but thought I would chime in now that I'm done. Though I did enjoy many of the characters, the violence was harsher than it needed to be. But it was a well-though out world and I thought Darrow's love for Eo and subsequent feelings for Mustang rang true and were depicted well.