Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

A Man Called Ove
This topic is about A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove > PAST or PRESENT?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
This narrative in this book flips back and forth in time. The back story gives us a lot of information to explain why Ove is the way he is. The current story deals more with Ove's present state of mind and the influence of the people around him.

Did you enjoy one of these narratives over the other? Which part of the story had the most impact? Past or present?

message 2: by Anna (last edited Mar 03, 2016 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Well in the beginning, I preferred the back story because I loved getting to know Ove. Further on in the story, I started to prefer the current story because I really wanted to find out how it all got resolved. As far as impact is concerned, it is hard to say which part of the story had more. They were both so important for different reasons. However it was the back plot that really helps us bond with Ove.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments It is the past that gives us incredible insight to Ove's character and why he lives and acts the way he does. And certainly Ove would prefer to live in the past but is forced to take part in the now by all of his neighbours. I preferred the present--all of it--the cat, the pushy neighbour made the story complete.