The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.4 - Golden Oldie: Anne (Booklady)'s Task: Golden Oldie Pop TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 05, 2016 04:33AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17497 comments Mod
20.4 -Golden Oldie: Anne (Booklady)'s Task: Golden Oldie Pop TV Shows

In keeping with the Golden Oldie Ticket and Pop Art, I thought about paying homage to some popular TV Shows of the 1980's. Here are my favorites of that decade.

Read ONE book from the following options. Indicate the option when you post.

Option A: Miami Vice - The adventures of the vice squad detectives of the Miami Police Department. Besides the obvious attributes of Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs, the hit series was dark and gritty for that time. It also inspired some good music.

-->For this option, read a book with a word at least 4 letters long from one of my favorite Miami Vice tunes,. Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues" in the Title. Smuggler Blues Lyrics The word must match exactly.
Required: Post the word you select.

Option B: Golden Girls - Four older women share a house in Miami Beach. The spirited Dorothy, the vampy Blanche, the feisty, Sophia, and ditsy Rose could always make me laugh. Who says older women don't have fun?

---> For this option, read a book in which a senior citizen woman, roughly 60 or older, is a very prominent character. Examples: Miss Marple Murder at the Vicarage Lists that may be helpful Amazing Older Heroines , Protagonists Over 60 and Senior Sleuths
Note: Not all books on these list will work, some 60+ Characters are men.

Option C: Fantasy Island - Accounts of visitors to a unique resort island in the Pacific Ocean that can fulfill literally any fantasy requested, but rarely turn out as expected. Tattoo had probably one of the most recognizable lines in TV history, "Boss, the plane. The plane." But Mr. Roarke was mysterious with supernatural powers.

-->For this option, read a book with "Fantasy" or "Supernatural" genre on the book's main GR page.

Option D: Love Boat - The romantic and comic tales of the passengers and crew of the cruise ship, Pacific Princess. I loved watching this sappy and funny show. The crew: Captain Stuebing, Gopher, Doc, Issac, and Julie all have a warm place in my heart and I loved their antics on the High Seas as well as those episodes in a particular port of call.

-->For this option, read a book from Cruises List , Nautical Novels List. Or if you get seasick, read a book from Vacations from Hell List.
Required: Post which List your book can be found on along with it's page and number.

message 2: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:28PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Approved:

Option 1:

Option 2: Fear the Darkness A Thriller (Brigid Quinn, #2) by Becky Masterman The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax by Dorothy Gilman

Option3:

Option 4:

message 3: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:22PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Not Approved:

Option 1: The Soldier's Curse is possessive, not the plural Soldiers as in the lyrics

Option2:

Option 3:

Option 4:

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1159 comments Will this work for option B:

Fear the Darkness: A Thriller

This is the second of a series. The main character, Brigid Quinn, was a 59-year-old retired FBI agent in the first.

message 6: by Tien (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments For option A, how exact does the word have to be?

Eg. word in lyric, "soldiers"
Book: The Soldier's Curse by Meg & Tom Keneally

plural vs possessive...?

message 7: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:38PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Tien wrote: "For option A, how exact does the word have to be?

Eg. word in lyric, "soldiers"
Book: The Soldier's Curse by Meg & Tom Keneally

plural vs possessive...?"

Sorry Tien, but no. The possessive is singular, while the lyrics is plural. If Soldiers in your title had the plural possessive, I would have allowed it.

message 8: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:35PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Amy wrote: "Will this work for option B:

Fear the Darkness: A Thriller

This is the second of a series. The main character, Brigid Quinn, was a 59-year-old retired FBI agent in the first."

Based on the GR description and a couple of GR friends reviews it looks like Brigid is 60 or very close to that age in this novel. I'll allow it - enjoy!

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments For Option B .... I'm hoping that the Mrs Pollifax series would work.

Most of the book descriptions don't mention her age, but the first book states she is retired, her husband is deceased, and all her children are grown and gone. So she's the perfect CIA undercover agent, because absolutely NO one would suspect her of being a spy! A few of the reviews mention that she is in her 60s.

Book 1: The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax

message 10: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Book Concierge wrote: "For Option B .... I'm hoping that the Mrs Pollifax series would work.

Most of the book descriptions don't mention her age, but the first book states she is retired, her husband is deceased, and al..."

Yes, that works. The series books all work. Enjoy :-)

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Hill | 1 comments ummm....im new to this group could someone fill me in???

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Audrey wrote: "ummm....im new to this group could someone fill me in???"

Start with SRC Explained and Getting Started

message 13: by Ronda (new)

Ronda Wingo (rondasue27) | 82 comments Is "that" a valid word choice for option A? So That Burke Man would work?

message 14: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Ronda wrote: "Is "that" a valid word choice for option A? So That Burke Man would work?"

Yes, that works. Enjoy the book.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Cindy C.

Will Miss Dreamsville and the Lost Heiress of Collier County work for Option B? Mrs. Bailey White is about 80 and Plain Jane is in her 60s. Neither character is the narrator, but both are very prominent characters.

message 16: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Cindy wrote: "Cindy C.

Will Miss Dreamsville and the Lost Heiress of Collier County work for Option B? Mrs. Bailey White is about 80 and Plain Jane is in her 60s. Neither character is the narrat..."

Yes, that's fine. Enjoy

message 17: by Sharice (new)

Sharice George | 51 comments For option C can I read Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3) by Ransom Riggs ? It is YA and I always get confused on which tasks those can be used for.

message 18: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Sharice wrote: "For option C can I read Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3) by Ransom Riggs? It is YA and I always get confused on which tasks those can be used for."

Sure. I didn't exclude YR or Children Books. If your book has Children's remember to use AR Bookfinder data. So, enjoy your book. :-)

message 19: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will this work for option B?
It doesn't say how old she is--- but the first chapter of the book says she and her husband were married 59 years when he died.

Previously Loved Treasures

message 20: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Hi Anne--- Does my book work? Thanks.

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Will this work for option B?
It doesn't say how old she is--- but the first chapter of the book says she and her husband were married 59 years when he died.

Previously Loved Treasures"

I sent Anne a message, but haven't heard back.
Yes, that would work for option B

message 22: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you so much.